Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Video/graphic Card For Old Compaq Presario

#1 User is offline   DPFoumDog 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

I think I need a video or graphics Card for an old Compaq Presario E85-00970, S6010V.

The monitor keeps saying its going to sleep. I have tried several different monitors and cords. I have reset all the sleep/hibernation settings. It has to be the computer. Immediantly after booting up we get the message that its going to sleep.

I stole the power supply out of an old HP and eplaced it. Still get the sames results. If I new what the graphics card or video card looked like I would steal it from the old HP too.

How do I find out for sure if a Video or Graphics Card will work?

Where can I buy a replacement Video or Graphics Card?

Any and all help appreciated.

Laura

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hi Laura and welcome to the forums. First, that is not a Graphics card issue. I have never heard of a computer set to go into Hybernation ( sleep ) at start up. Usually it is set for the Monitor to go into hibernation after a certain amount of Idle time ( mine is 10 mins. ) You might try removing the CMOS battery on the Motherboard after you have shut down for a couple of minutes then replace it. If it is a BiOS problem, that should reset it.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   DPFoumDog 

• Pip

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

Thanks Coastie,
What is wierd ...... really weird...... is that sometimes the monitor goes off in 1 minute and sometimes the computer will run for several hours before we loose the monitor (that has to be a clue)

#4 User is offline   DPFoumDog 

• Pip

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

1) Will removing the CMOS Battery cause this workstation to loose any data or cause it to loose its network mapping?

PCI vs On board
After reading your post i did F1 and go to bios and changed the video card from PCI to onboard. (I have no idea what this means) I reset the computer a couple of time and it appears to reboot just fine,
So far I have not lost the monitor (but I only made th change 3 minutes)

I will keep you updated.

Thanks,
Laura

#5 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostDPFoumDog, on 16 February 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

1) Will removing the CMOS Battery cause this workstation to loose any data or cause it to loose its network mapping?

PCI vs On board
After reading your post i did F1 and go to bios and changed the video card from PCI to onboard. (I have no idea what this means) I reset the computer a couple of time and it appears to reboot just fine,
So far I have not lost the monitor (but I only made th change 3 minutes)

I will keep you updated.

Thanks,
Laura

Hi Laura, First, reoving the CMOS battery and resetting the BiOS wil not cause you to lose any data. The Clock and calendar will need to be reset though. If you are using the onboard Graphics Chipset, then it should have been set to that. If you using a dedicated card, then when you install the card, you need to go into the Device Manager and disbable the Onboard graphics. With PCIe graphics, a later thing than PCI, it will generally disable the onboard stuff when you plug the card in.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users