• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Understanding Windows Event Viewer

#1 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

I had answered to a spam message by giving my credentials, including my password. Why I did this is a long and stupid story so won't go there.

Anyway.. since then I've ran Malaware to check but nothing shows up. I've read that "Windows Event Viewer" security can be very useful by examining the ones w/ the task catagory login. When I look at the logins I don't understand how to tell which ones were not created by myself. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, "command prompt' > netstat _ano is said to be of some use. Another one is start > run > cmd _ ok.

I'm wanting to examine and understand how to tell what log ins could have been by a hacker. Also, should my "link" light be flashing orange rapidly? I have a wireless router.

This is alot to ask and I regret taking anyone's time but I really am stressed about this. I need to create recovery disks but I want the system clean before I do. I am having symptoms of malware by getting spam emails from my account and a couple other people in my contacts.

Help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks so much
Janisum

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Netstat tells you what websites your PC is currently connected to. Generally, the only way you can get the history of what the account was logged into from is if the site offers a function like that. (facebook and I think gmail do)

I would change the passwords NOW (chances are the spam is being sent elsewhere, seeing as you responded to an email rather than downloading something). If you didn't download anything, you're probably not infected.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 17 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 17 February 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

Netstat tells you what websites your PC is currently connected to. Generally, the only way you can get the history of what the account was logged into from is if the site offers a function like that. (facebook and I think gmail do)

I would change the passwords NOW (chances are the spam is being sent elsewhere, seeing as you responded to an email rather than downloading something). If you didn't download anything, you're probably not infected.

Once again.. thanks for your post. I did change my password a couple days after finding out I'd answered a spam email.
I'd read on a website if one R/clicks on "computer" > manage > Window logs > security, it brings up all the log ons and to examine the ones with task catagory log in and that will tell if anyone other than myself has logged on or tried to. It was interesting when I did this troubleshooting but I was lost when I got in there. Always something new to learn, for myself anyway..

Thanks again
Janisum

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Yep, that won't work - how would your computer know if some scammer elsewhere was signed into your email account? They're not connected to your computer, only the email server.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 17 February 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Yep, that won't work - how would your computer know if some scammer elsewhere was signed into your email account? They're not connected to your computer, only the email server.

Would this check for the mail server?
Janisum

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

The Event Viewer? That only applies to your local machine, not the mail server.
Spoiler

#7 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 17 February 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

The Event Viewer? That only applies to your local machine, not the mail server.

The article was wrong. Maybe I should comment on it. Thanks again..
Janisum

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Well, here's the thing - if you install malware, it could be sending spam through your account using your computer. That's not the case here though, seeing as the spammer has your password instead.
Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users