Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need To Erase Hard Drive

#1 User is offline   jfartay27 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

I bought my laptop on ebay last month and this laptop is starting to turn out to be a bust. The graphics card isn't working properly, the internet is buggy and some other misc problems with it. I am going to return it but I want to delete and erase the hard drive as best I can before I send it back. Some files with logins and other important info needs to be securely deleted. The problem is, is that this laptop is a sleekbook and does not have a cd/dvd drive. I really doubt the people I will return it to will get all my info but instead just reformat it to resell, but I need to make sure. I don't know what to do. Should I buy an external cd drive and get a hard drive eraser tool? or do i have other options?

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Use Darik's Boot and Nuke, and Universal USB Installer to get it on a thumb drive. (I know that says it's for linux, but it works for a few other things like DBAN as well.)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   jfartay27 

• Pip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 21 February 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Use Darik's Boot and Nuke, and Universal USB Installer to get it on a thumb drive. (I know that says it's for linux, but it works for a few other things like DBAN as well.)

Okay I downloaded both of them, I'm not sure what I do with them now. Do I install USB installer and then put DB&N on it and restart the computer? is there a guide?

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Run USB installer, and select dban as the OS. Point it to the ISO, put in a thumb drive, and let USB installer copy stuff.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   jfartay27 

• Pip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 22 February 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

Run USB installer, and select dban as the OS. Point it to the ISO, put in a thumb drive, and let USB installer copy stuff.

last question, so after I select dban as the installer and let it finish, do I have to put dban back onto the usb or no since i selected it as the IOS?
And after all that, I restart the computer with the usb in it?

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

After you've let the USB installer run, all you need to do is restart, and go into the menu on the POST screen and tell it to boot from the flash drive. (if you don't see an option for a boot menu, enter the BIOS setup and change the boot priority - remember to change it back to the hard drive later)
Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users