Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best Desktop Search Software

#1 User is offline   borabora1001 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'm looking for good desktop search software... preferably one that will search Outlook emails and my bazzillions of favorites and bookmarks in IE and Chrome. I'm looking for real user opinions. I need something that is fast and also super accurate. I've seen copernic and google desktop as recommended, but looks like google is going away. Has anyone used Aikin HyperSearch? It looks fairly new and claims to be more accurate and faster than all of them. Thanks for the opinions.

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

I just use the search feature built into Vista and later (in the start menu/screen). It'll search Outlook and IE, but I don't think there's any way to search Chrome unfortunately.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   borabora1001 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 22 February 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

I just use the search feature built into Vista and later (in the start menu/screen). It'll search Outlook and IE, but I don't think there's any way to search Chrome unfortunately.

Yeah, I've used the vista and windows 7 searches and they are by far way better than previous versions, but I still find myself trying to trick the search into giving the right answers... I usually have to rack my brain remembering exactly what was in the name or content, then type each term individual and dig through a big set of results. I wanted something more google like that will let me just type whatever I remember and not get hung up on extra text that is wrong and just find the part of what I wrote that is most similar to anything that exists on my system. If i do that in windows i usually get no results at all.

However, I think I just fell in love with Aikin HyperSearch. So far it's doing exactly what I was wanting and also searches IE, Chrome, and Firefox. You just type whatever you remember into the search and it starts showing up with the most similar items at the top. It also searches folder names and content... it's pretty sweet. The interface is a little different... I'd describe it as fairly sparse or minimalist... It has a lot of filtering support but so far I haven't really needed to use it. It supports Oultook email searches and has an Outlook addin. I need to install office again and once I do I will test that out and report back. Another downside is that it's not free, but $20 is not too shabby. I just clicked like on their facebook page and they sent me a coupon for $20 off the $49.99 price.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users