• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Parts For A New Build

#1 User is offline   stu103 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

I have the ability to buy at a great discount, 45% of list prices, the following motherboard and CPU:
MoBo
CPU

I want to add these:
Memory
Hard drive

These will go into an HP Pavilion a1320n case that has a Coolmax M500-B PSU and one case fan installed now. The cpu and mobo are brand new in the box items. A friend needs money and has excepted my offer for them so those won't change. The memory, hard drive and hopefully the PSU can stay as listed as there is no more money to put more into it. I like my choices, I did some research, except for the PSU which I just now thought of when I started writing this post and would like to move on this ASAP.

My question to the readers is this:
Will all these parts work well together and will they go into the case I have? I'm worried about the PSU even though I have had no problems with it over the 18 months since it's install. I do need 200 GB on the hard drive so no room to lessen that but could go SATA for $'s and replace PSU if suggested. Will be running W7 64 bit OS. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

This post has been edited by stu103: 23 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Face piles of trials with smiles
It riles them to believe
That we perceive
The webs they weave
And keep on thinking free

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hi. The Motherboard is fine and same one I am using in this build. As for the processor, You probably be happier with a different one such as the i5 2500k. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115072 .

As for the memory you could save yourself some money with this which is very good ( I am using it as well ): http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231445

As the SSD ( not hard drive ) you can save $10 with this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227813. If you are on a tight budget, I would focus on other things such as PSU & Video Card before considering an SSD. Keep in mind one thing, Once you replace the Motherboard, the Operating system will not activate. You will need to jump through hoops with Microsoft, buy a new license, or operating system.

This post has been edited by coastie65: 23 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   stu103 

• PipPip

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. The processor and motherboard are locked in. I'm paying well less then list for both and cannot spend $200 on the i5. I thought that over earlier thinking I could and then sell the i3 but do not want to go through the hassle. I will go with the memory though, thanks for that.

I'll look into the SSD. Not worried about graphics. The onboard Intel HD 4000 is well better then what I now have and the most I run graphics wise will be MS Flight Simulator X. Not a big gamer on my PC. More video watching, online TV, video and picture editing. The PSU was my concern because of the reviews I read after I got it installed. Was told it was OK and so far with what I do it is but may have to rethink now that I saved $40 on memory.
I'm aware of the OS situation. Trying to work a deal for my old parts plus 32 bit discs related to them for a new 64 bit OS.
I'm really trying to get this done for as little money as possible. My current computer does just fine and is giving me no problems at all, but it is old, the hard drive has over 35000 hours on it. I don't want to pass up the deal I am getting on the new motherboard and processor.

This post has been edited by stu103: 23 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

It riles them to believe
That we perceive
The webs they weave

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

I'm a bit wary of that PSU, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it, but as long as you don't actually push it near 500W (you shouldn't even be close to that with a 55W i3 and no discrete graphics, probably under 200W with that config), it should be OK.

If you have a 32-bit copy of Windows (Vista or later), you should be able to use the key with a 64-bit disc without problems. (I have Vista and 7 links in my sig, but haven't gotten around to adding 8 ones yet.) If you really want this to be cheap, you can probably cut the RAM cost in half by getting basic 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 stuff, and 2x2GB instead. (4GB is still plenty for most basic tasks, though for a higher end machine I would go for 8GB.)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#5 User is offline   stu103 

• PipPip

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the PSU help. I don't have the money to do any of this actually but cannot pass up the deal if you know what I mean. I have it but shouldn't spend it kinda thing. I'm afraid I will back down from all this and a month later my PC will die and I'll be spending money anyways but not be able to afford the level of upgrade I am attempting now. That's just the kinda luck I've been having lately. Anyhow, in regards to the OS. I have a 32 bit disc with the key, where do I get a 64 bit disc in order to use my key with it. This topic has confused me no end during this whole thing. Some say you can re-activate with a new motherboard and others say you can't. I'm trying to cover all my bases before I green light the labor. I've cut the memory $'s in half and ditched the SSD idea so that's another $80. Hell this might just work if I can find the 64 bit disc.
It riles them to believe
That we perceive
The webs they weave

#6 User is offline   stu103 

• PipPip

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Brian, you said:

If you have a 32-bit copy of Windows (Vista or later), you should be able to use the key with a 64-bit disc without problems. (I have Vista and 7 links in my sig, but haven't gotten around to adding 8 ones yet.)

Did some research. Lets see if I got this right.
I have a genuine activation key for my 32 bit W7 installation. If I was to download one of the 64 bit ISO images you mention in your sig, load that onto my new hard drive, motherboard, cpu set up that I could activatethe 64 bit OS with my genuine activation key that I already have?
It riles them to believe
That we perceive
The webs they weave

#7 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 23 February 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

I'm a bit wary of that PSU, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it, but as long as you don't actually push it near 500W (you shouldn't even be close to that with a 55W i3 and no discrete graphics, probably under 200W with that config), it should be OK.

If you have a 32-bit copy of Windows (Vista or later), you should be able to use the key with a 64-bit disc without problems. (I have Vista and 7 links in my sig, but haven't gotten around to adding 8 ones yet.) If you really want this to be cheap, you can probably cut the RAM cost in half by getting basic 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 stuff, and 2x2GB instead. (4GB is still plenty for most basic tasks, though for a higher end machine I would go for 8GB.)

With Flight Simulator and the Videos, he would be better served with the 8 Gb package to stay on the safe side.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

View Poststu103, on 23 February 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

Brian, you said:

If you have a 32-bit copy of Windows (Vista or later), you should be able to use the key with a 64-bit disc without problems. (I have Vista and 7 links in my sig, but haven't gotten around to adding 8 ones yet.)

Did some research. Lets see if I got this right.
I have a genuine activation key for my 32 bit W7 installation. If I was to download one of the 64 bit ISO images you mention in your sig, load that onto my new hard drive, motherboard, cpu set up that I could activatethe 64 bit OS with my genuine activation key that I already have?

About reactivating with a new motherboard: If you have an OEM copy of Windows (this includes copies preinstalled on machines), you can't move it to another machine. Period. (legally anyway) If retail, it can be moved (but only installed on one PC at a time)

What I suggest doing is downloading a 64-bit ISO (of the right version - Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate) from the link, and using the key you already have with it to activate it. From what I've heard, this should work.

Coastie: FSX was released in 2006 and has a RAM requirement of 512MB (Vista) according to Microsoft, so I doubt that'll be an issue. The only thing could possibly be video editing, though an i3 isn't exactly the best for that anyway.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   stu103 

• PipPip

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Yes I have the OEM package so my thinking has been right all along that I could NOT re-activate my copy once I replace the motherboard. I'm going to try trading all my old parts, they're still good, with the guy doing the labor for a new 64 bit OS disc. I wish I had know about the OEM/retail differences when I upgraded from XP. Should have done my homework. Oh well. Live and learn. Thanks for all the advice. So far I've reduced my costs and feel better about the PSU I have already. Been a good day.
It riles them to believe
That we perceive
The webs they weave

#10 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 23 February 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

Coastie: FSX was released in 2006 and has a RAM requirement of 512MB (Vista) according to Microsoft, so I doubt that'll be an issue. The only thing could possibly be video editing, though an i3 isn't exactly the best for that anyway.

OK. The only one I have played was 1 o2 and that was on a Commodore 64. You know that didn't need much. :lol:

#11 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

View Poststu103, on 23 February 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Yes I have the OEM package so my thinking has been right all along that I could NOT re-activate my copy once I replace the motherboard. I'm going to try trading all my old parts, they're still good, with the guy doing the labor for a new 64 bit OS disc. I wish I had know about the OEM/retail differences when I upgraded from XP. Should have done my homework. Oh well. Live and learn. Thanks for all the advice. So far I've reduced my costs and feel better about the PSU I have already. Been a good day.

I suppose you could always call the Microsoft activation hotline and tell them the motherboard died (I think this is the one case in which you can transfer an OEM Windows license to another machine). You aren't exactly supposed to though. ;)
Spoiler

#12 User is offline   stu103 

• PipPip

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

You would think that having such an old motherboard they might lay a little pity on me. I'll have to let them know I'm unemployed too. If they allow the re-activation then I can get the 64 bit ISO download and upgrade to that? That's worth a shot. Never hurts to ask right? That was my motto with the girls when I was in high school . LOL.
It riles them to believe
That we perceive
The webs they weave

#13 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

I suppose you could always tell them the old PC died and you replaced the motherboard, and now need to reactivate Windows. I guess it's worth a shot. :) Basically, install using the 64-bit ISO and your key, and when activation fails, call the 800 number to activate and explain it. (for some strange reason, an old Dell XP OEM key I had activated on other non-Dell machines without me needing to call Microsoft - it wasn't supposed to work!)
Spoiler

#14 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

The old XP keys I use were all "reused" from older machines. I actually like to buy people old laptops for that reason. It will activate at least once more on a different machine... if MS accepts the activation, it works for me.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#15 User is offline   stu103 

• PipPip

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

I want to thank all who have posted their helpful replies. Unfortunately it is all moot now. My buddies wife sold the motherboard and CPU to her Co's IT manager Friday. She didn't know hubby and I had agreed to sell them to me by tomorrow pending my research. She got more money for them too so that's cool because I know they are struggling. Now I'll just keep plugging along with my old but very much appreciated computer for the foreseeable future. Maybe I'll put together a new list for you guys to comment on, of cheaper parts that will upgrade what I have now and hopefully last me another 5+ years.
Thanks again for all the help.
It riles them to believe
That we perceive
The webs they weave

#16 User is offline   stu103 

• PipPip

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:16 AM

Locked in as, please don't suggest other parts in place of these shown. Thanks for your help none the less.
It riles them to believe
That we perceive
The webs they weave

#17 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

Everything you listed should work fine. The power supply is not known for quality. Pull more than ~250-300 watts from it, and you can expect it to explode. That won't be an issue unless you toss in a real video card at some point.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#18 User is offline   stu103 

• PipPip

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

That's what I figured also. I do all my gaming on xbox. Newer games anyhow. The hundred or so games for my PC are all from the XP era and run very well with the current set up. I monitored heat, power and such after the first upgrade and nothing stood out so for the foreseeable future I should be OK. Thanks for the advice. The power supply was my uppermost concern.
It riles them to believe
That we perceive
The webs they weave

#19 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

I hate it when you get spammers with 1px images that post as if they're the OP... like I wouldn't notice and check the HTML code of the post... (It seems there's been more of that than usual lately.)
Spoiler

#20 User is offline   stu103 

• PipPip

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

I just reported it. Didn't recognize it the first time. Seeing a lot of this on other forums I visit regularly. They think no one notices or knows how to confirm their agenda or identity.
It riles them to believe
That we perceive
The webs they weave

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users