• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Connected To Internet But Unable To Browse

#1 User is offline   Stevey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

I'm unable to browse internet on my old p4/xp desktop pc, the internet gets connected but it doesn't load any pages at all, neither the browsers work nor any installer application works, it shows connection error, i use a bluetooth or USB connection via my cell phone,. I can browse internet via the same connection on my laptop but not on my desktop, is it some virus/spyware or is it some hardware/software settings issue? how to diagnose the problem? please help...
and yeah also suggest me any portable anti-virus that I can take from my laptop to my desktop because there is no internet on my desktop so can't update anything...

This post has been edited by Stevey: 28 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

● Certified software analyst and programmer.
● Industrial hardware calibration and benchmarking professional.
● Franchisee framework administrator.

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostStevey, on 28 February 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

I'm unable to browse internet on my old p4/xp desktop pc, the internet gets connected but it doesn't load any pages at all, neither the browsers work nor any installer application works, it shows connection error, i use a bluetooth or USB connection via my cell phone,. I can browse internet via the same connection on my laptop but not on my desktop, is it some virus/spyware or is it some hardware/software settings issue? how to diagnose the problem? please help...
and yeah also suggest me any portable anti-virus that I can take from my laptop to my desktop because there is no internet on my desktop so can't update anything...

Hey Stevey,
Which browser are you using on your desktop? If you're running IE I suggest clearing your cache and history, and IE 9 has a repair function you can try. Also, you say "the internet gets connected" --- how can you tell? The more information you give the easier it will be for folks to assist.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#3 User is offline   Stevey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

View Postcompnovo, on 28 February 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

View PostStevey, on 28 February 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

Hey Stevey,
Which browser are you using on your desktop? If you're running IE I suggest clearing your cache and history, and IE 9 has a repair function you can try. Also, you say "the internet gets connected" --- how can you tell? The more information you give the easier it will be for folks to assist.

Well I have already mentioned that internet isn't working on any program whether its a browser or any other online app, i tried on every browser like ff, opera, chrome, ie etc and also tried to install a fresh avg free/malwarebytes/spybot etc but since there is no internet on the pc, it shows connection error, all i want is a portable anti-virus or a portable anti-spyware that is updated and can be transferred to my PC via my flashdrive and I would like to remind that the same connection is working fine on my laptop..so I guess there should be something wrong with the PC itself and not with the connection and stuff...

if you suspect there is something else that should be done prior to this, let me know please...thanks for the help in advance...

This post has been edited by Stevey: 28 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

● Certified software analyst and programmer.
● Industrial hardware calibration and benchmarking professional.
● Franchisee framework administrator.

#4 User is offline   ElfBane 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

When was the last time the PC worked online?

What OS does the PC have on it?

Are you trying to connect the PC wired or wireless?

#5 User is offline   ElfBane 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

Google "portable AV scanner" to find a portable AV. You can start here,,, http://www.techrepub...-all-times/1572 .

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users