• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Toshiba Laptop Won't Boot Up

#1 User is offline   Dazman5 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

Hi all,

Last night, I logged off my laptop as normal, and when I came back to it an hour later, it wouldn't boot up.

I have three green lights to indicate that it is fully charged and connected to the socket, but when I press power, it attempts to boot up for a couple of seconds and then stops, plus nothing appears on the screen. The three green lights remain on. When I hold down the power button for five seconds, you can hear it shut down, as you would if everything was working correctly.

I tried taking the battery out, and putting it back in etc, but still nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas? I presume it is a simple case of the motherboard breaking, but was curious to see if anyone thought it might be something else.

Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

Hi, Dazman, and welcome to the forums.

From what you describe, it definitely sounds like a hardware problem. If Windows was failing to boot, you'd see something on the screen.

Speaking of the screen, any likelihood that that's the problem? Try plugging in an external monitor and booting. I don't think it will work, but it's worth a try.

Other than that, assuming you're not the sort of person who can repair a laptop or would like to learn how, I'd suggest taking it to a professional.

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   Dazman5 

• Pip

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 08 March 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

Hi, Dazman, and welcome to the forums.

From what you describe, it definitely sounds like a hardware problem. If Windows was failing to boot, you'd see something on the screen.

Speaking of the screen, any likelihood that that's the problem? Try plugging in an external monitor and booting. I don't think it will work, but it's worth a try.

Other than that, assuming you're not the sort of person who can repair a laptop or would like to learn how, I'd suggest taking it to a professional.

Lincoln

Hi Lincoln,

Thank you for your reply.

I haven't tried an external monitor yet. I'm not too sure how to go about doing that because I haven't done that before.

A couple more pieces of information. I have just been pressing F5 and FN at the same time (a light appeared on the keyboard), because I read somewhere else that it toggles with the 'LCD Panel', and after trying to turn my laptop on again, it hasn't gone dead after two seconds - it has been making a noise for the past minute - but there is still nothing appearing on the screen. Might that suggest a graphics card or screen problem?

#4 User is offline   ElfBane 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

See if it will boot up a portable OS, such as Linux, off of a flashdrive.

#5 User is offline   Dazman5 

• Pip

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostElfBane, on 08 March 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

See if it will boot up a portable OS, such as Linux, off of a flashdrive.

I haven't tried anything like this before, so I will probably leave it. Thanks for the reply though :).

#6 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostDazman5, on 08 March 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Hi Lincoln,

I haven't tried an external monitor yet. I'm not too sure how to go about doing that because I haven't done that before.

A couple more pieces of information. I have just been pressing F5 and FN at the same time (a light appeared on the keyboard), because I read somewhere else that it toggles with the 'LCD Panel', and after trying to turn my laptop on again, it hasn't gone dead after two seconds - it has been making a noise for the past minute - but there is still nothing appearing on the screen. Might that suggest a graphics card or screen problem?

If you don't own an external monitor, take your laptop to the home of a friend with a desktop computer, and plug in their monitor. Then boot.

Most laptops have a key combination (such as the F5/FN combo you described) for toggling between the built-in screen and an external one. However, to see if it works, you'd still need a separate monitor.

It could be a graphics card or screen problem, but it could also be a motherboard problem. Really, at that point, with a laptop, I'd say it's time to take it to a professional.

Lincoln

#7 User is offline   Dazman5 

• Pip

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:34 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 10 March 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

View PostDazman5, on 08 March 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Hi Lincoln,

If you don't own an external monitor, take your laptop to the home of a friend with a desktop computer, and plug in their monitor. Then boot.

Most laptops have a key combination (such as the F5/FN combo you described) for toggling between the built-in screen and an external one. However, to see if it works, you'd still need a separate monitor.

It could be a graphics card or screen problem, but it could also be a motherboard problem. Really, at that point, with a laptop, I'd say it's time to take it to a professional.

Lincoln

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried with an external monitor with an HDMI cable and a VGA cable, and both times, it has come up with no devices found. When we tried the HDMi cable with a PS3, it came up automatically, and when we tried the VGA cable with another laptop, it came up automatically.

Since I first posted, the boot-up of the laptop has improved. This improved after I used a vacuum to try and clean the grills out etc and let the laptop cool for 24 hours. It boots up as normal, and it reads the CD drive if I put a disc in. There just isn't anything appearing on the laptop screen, and my laptop isn't being picked up when using either cables.

It has been suggested to me I might have a backlight invertor problem, but I suppose it could be a number of things, or that the laptop needs a complete repair.

Any more suggestions?

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

You did push the F-keys to enable the external display, right? Also, if you shine a flashlight at the laptop's display, can you see anything? If so, you have a backlight problem. (possibly the inverter)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#9 User is offline   Dazman5 

• Pip

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Yeah, I pressed FN and F5 to try to toggle the display, but nothing happened. The keyboard flashed to acknowledge that I was pressing them, but nothing appeared on the screen. We tried the flashlight suggestion last Friday and nothing appeared.

All in all, I think it looks time for a new laptop!

#10 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostDazman5, on 12 March 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Yeah, I pressed FN and F5 to try to toggle the display, but nothing happened. The keyboard flashed to acknowledge that I was pressing them, but nothing appeared on the screen. We tried the flashlight suggestion last Friday and nothing appeared.

All in all, I think it looks time for a new laptop!

If it's working okay with an external monitor, you don't need a new laptop. All you need is a repair. See Replace your laptop screen without spending a fortune for details.

Lincoln

#11 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

It sounds like the laptop is working fine, but the GPU is dead IMO. He did say that nothing appears when using an external monitor over HDMI or VGA.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#12 User is offline   Dazman5 

• Pip

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

Yeah, it has been suggested that I have a graphics chip problem, and that I will likely need a replacement motherboard, or just buy a new laptop.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users