PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: I Need A New Laptop And I Really Need Your Advice, Please! - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I Need A New Laptop And I Really Need Your Advice, Please! Laptop Suggestions

#1 User is offline   studentofknowledge 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hi,

I'm looking for a new laptop to buy but I'm on a budget, so I'll most likely be getting a refurbished one. I need this laptop for school as well as work. I edit a lot of long audios(over an hour) and I use different softwares and watch a lot of videos. I don't need it for gaming, but I do use my laptop for hours on end and run different softwares at a time. My current computer heats up a lot and I hate that! Oh, and I download a lot...

I want a laptop that is strong enough to handle all my needs, that is pretty fast, and does not heat up. A long last battery is also needed. I'd much rather windows 7 than windows 8, but I know windows 8 can be OK with a touchscreen laptop.

This is what I have been looking at:

ASUS B43S-XH71 14" Core i7 2620M - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit 4 GB RAM 500GB HDD, Dedicated Graphics

Lenovo U410 Ultra-Thin 14" UltraBook i5-3317U 8GB 664GB SSD NVidia 610M, Dedicated Graphics

Lenovo IdeaPad U410 14" i7-3537U 1TB + 24GB SSD GeForce 610m 8GB Ram W864 HDMI, Dedicated Graphics

Lenovo IdeaPad Z400 14" 1366x768 Touch Screen i5-3230M 3rd Gen. 1TB 6GB HD4000 USB3, Integrated/On-Board Graphics

Any advice on which is better? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

The Lenovo t430 is a good one - great cookig, build quality, and battery life, though it is a bit heavy and doesn't have Haswell. (though none of the ones you mentioned do) Windows 7 is an option with it as well. The t430s is lighter, but the battery life isn't nearly as good.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   studentofknowledge 

• Pip

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 02 September 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

The Lenovo t430 is a good one - great cookig, build quality, and battery life, though it is a bit heavy and doesn't have Haswell. (though none of the ones you mentioned do) Windows 7 is an option with it as well. The t430s is lighter, but the battery life isn't nearly as good.

Thank you for your suggestion, but the price is a little too much for me right now... Any other suggestions? What do you think of the ones I listed above? Their prices are OK for my current budget.

This post has been edited by studentofknowledge: 02 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hi and welcome to the forums. This one on your list should be good: Lenovo IdeaPad U410 14" i7-3537U 1TB + 24GB SSD GeForce 610m 8GB Ram W864 HDMI, Dedicated Graphics
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

View Poststudentofknowledge, on 02 September 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 02 September 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Thank you for your suggestion, but the price is a little too much for me right now... Any other suggestions? What do you think of the ones I listed above? Their prices are OK for my current budget.

You said you're using this for school though, so remember that you qualify for student discounts. I just talked to a lenovo chat rep, and he quoted $636.75 for the base t430 - that's almost $100 off what it normally is. Lenovo's regular student page seems to be giving me the same price as the regular page right now for some reason though. (granted, the regular page does have a promo code)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   studentofknowledge 

• Pip

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Yes, I'd definitely be using it for school, but I want to be able to carry it around with me (preferably 14") and unfortunately mu budget is around $500. Someone suggested this:

http://outlet.lenovo...5&Code=59RF0282

what do you think?

there is also these:

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649

Thank you,

#7 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

Ahh, got it. The lenovo outlet link doesn't work (I wonder if those expire after a set period of time, since the listings go by quickly - the link looks fine).

The ASUS looks like a good machine. The Ideapad U310 in the lenovo store looks fine (is this what you tried to link to?), and even though it's labeled "scratch & dent", it sounds like those are just returns that are otherwise new. http://outlet.lenovo...5024623-4375XB4 Tell me if that link works.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 02 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Spoiler

#8 User is offline   studentofknowledge 

• Pip

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 02 September 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

Ahh, got it. The lenovo outlet link doesn't work (I wonder if those expire after a set period of time, since the listings go by quickly - the link looks fine).

The ASUS looks like a good machine. The Ideapad U310 in the lenovo store looks fine (is this what you tried to link to?), and even though it's labeled "scratch & dent", it sounds like those are just returns that are otherwise new. http://outlet.lenovo...5024623-4375XB4 Tell me if that link works.

Yes, your linked worked. The one I was showing you is the:

IdeaPad U410

Model Highlights
Part number: 59RF0282
Condition
Refurbished
Processor
Intel® Core™ i5-3337U processor (2 cores, 1.80GHz, 3MB cache)
Operating system
Windows 8 Standard 64 - English
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce® 710M
Memory
6GB (2GB & 4GB) PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM SODIMM Memory
Display
14.0" WXGA (1366 X 768) TFT color, VibrantView, LED Backlight w/720p HD Camera
Pointing device
One-piece touchpad, multi-touch
Hard Drive
1024GB (1TB, 5400RPM and 24GB Solid State) Serial ATA Hard Drives
Optical Drive
No Optical Included
Battery
4 Cell Lithium Polymer Battery (Up to 9 Hours Run Time)
Network Card
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 (2x2 BGN & BT4)
Bluetooth
Bluetooth
WWAN
No WWAN Supported
Finger Print Reader
No Fingerprint Reader
Warranty
1 Year Standard Depot Warranty
Form Factor
Laptop - Blue

here is the link again, I will break it up: http://outlet.lenovo DOT com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/outlet_us/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item DOT detail?GroupID=445&Code=59RF0282

The one you posted is not bad either, but I need more HD space since I download and save a lot.

#9 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

Ok, here is my $.02 as well as some reasoniing. Please bear with me a bit.

First up, Brian was recommending the T series for good reason, and I do not disagree. However, you may be better served with the S or L series. Both of those are entry level business machines. Now, for the reasoning. Consumer machines are not meant to handle continuous, high stress loads. These are not considered normal usage for them. As such, while the U series are nice machines, they will run warmer than necessary. As will the Asus laptops in this situation.

The T series from lenovo is a mid-tier workstation meant for full 8 hour workdays. Do what you need to, they will make it. They are also a tad bulky, and expensive. The S series are ultrabooks, weighing in under 4 lbs, and rocking 6 hour battery life. They do have Ultra-low voltage parts though, resulting in sub 2Ghz clock speeds (base i3). The L series are typical notebooks. They weigh about 5 lbs, have no dedicated video card (which it sounds like you don't need), and have normally clocked parts. They start off with a 2.3Ghz i3, though if you can afford the i5, it is well worth it (About 30% gain for $70 on new machines).

The ThinkPad line of machines (T, S, L, W, and X series) are built with long workdays, with heavy workloads in mind. I have a Lenovo w520 that I have run at 100% load for days on end, it barely bats an eye. Now it is taking over email, and game server functions depreciating older desktop hardware that I was using. It does its job extremely well. You can find Think Branded machines on the outlet as well, and I would strongly suggest you look at them. Right now there are several S203 series and E530 series machines on there. The Edge seres are fairly new, but they are designed with many of the same goals as the rest of the business machines. They are simply budget oriented, and as such don't get the advanced roll-cage protection, nor are the built to mil-spec standards. That outlet changes frequently, so keep an eye on it, and look for an excellent deal.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#10 User is offline   studentofknowledge 

• Pip

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

Thank you for your advice, waldojim. The T series sound excellent but my budget is around $500, unfortunately. You think I can find a strong machine for that price? I need good battery and 750 hard drive space or more.

What do you think about the ThinkPad Edge line?

My current laptop, a sony vaio, heats up A LOT, besides other issues it has. I need a new laptop as soon as possible and I really wish I had more to spend. Does anyone recommend any of the IdeaPads?

There's a:

Lenovo IdeaPad U400 14" Ultrabook Laptop PC i5-2430M 750GB HDD 6GB RAM Windows 7
Integrated/On-Board Graphics

and theres an older business laptop, i heard it was pretty durable. My dad is looking for a laptop to carry around, he won't be using it as much as I will. Do you think this would do:

ASUS B43S-XH71 14" Core i7 2620M - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit 4 GB RAM 500GB HDD

The price for that is under $400.

This post has been edited by studentofknowledge: 02 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

#11 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

I have no direct experience with the Edge series, as such I will refrain from saying too much about them. What I do know, is that they are supposed to be budget oriented business machines with decent build quality but lacking in the high strength options that the other Think branded machines are known for. Temperature management should be fine.

Right now, there aren't any on there with 750GB (or larger) drives. So here is my thought, take it how you will.

There are two machines I would investigate - depending on exactly what interests you most. There is an X131e with an i3 @ 1.9Ghz, 11.6" display, 4GB ram, for $423, and there is an E520 with an i5 @ 2.5Ghz, 15" display, 4GB ram for $454. Then you can pick up a Samsung or Toshiba Hard drive from newegg for $70 (free shipping). That would keep the machine in budget, give you the space you need, and hook you up with a machine that has the cooling to deal with what you want.

I would certainly consider this above a consumer machine for this type of load. Please understand that while Lenovo does make quality machines, they have to make concessions as well. Cooling a laptop for 80% load is typical in consumer machines, and done that way because cooling costs more, and adds weight.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#12 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

I've played with the Edge machines several times in stores now - they seem decent though, and in between the T series and most consumer machines, as you would expect. I think my x120e is right around there as well, along with the x131e. (I don't think I've played with that in particular, but I have played with the x130e, which is similar.) The only thing is that the x131e isn't particularly speedy, and the screen might be a bit small. (though we're talking about 1366x768 with any of these) Also, my x120e runs at around 50C idle, and I've seen it hit 80 under full load. Take that how you will. Finally, it seems like Lenovo likes to use 7mm drives sometimes, so that's something to check.
Spoiler

#13 User is offline   studentofknowledge 

• Pip

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

Thank you both. It seems that the laptops I mentioned previously just suck for my needs, lol, since you guys are suggesting completing different machines. I have 2-3 days to make my decision before I buy, so I'll definitely still keep looking and researching. Again, one of my main concerns is the laptop heating up and making that vacuum-like noise (currently suffering from). Besides that, I really just need something decent in speed, has 750 space or more and is around 14". I want windows 7 because I'm use to it and my sister used to complain about windows 8 when she first got her laptop. I'm looking around still, but I find that I end up coming back to these machines (I can get them a little cheaper from somewhere else):

http://www.ebay.com/....item2a2ce6bf55

http://www.ebay.com/....item1c3641a579

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19e1897afe

http://www.ebay.com/....item1c363aef31

#14 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

Waldojim mentioned this in another thread (I think he meant to post it here):
"Ok, given the price you want to be, the size, and the hard drive you are looking at, allow me to suggest this.
Call Lenovo. Call them directly, and tell them what you want (I would suggest working from the E431 as the price is already close, and it has what you want), tell them the specs that matter to you (hard drive, cpu, etc) and ask them to hit the price you can afford. I did this when ordering my W520 (a bit more expensive, sure) and they came down $300 to hit my target."

It sounds like a good idea to me. You should be able to get 7 on that as well.

Only the 3rd ebay link worked for me. It's not a bad machine, though I think the E431 is also worth considering. Neither are top-tier machines, but I don't think you'll be able to get one in your budget anyway.
Spoiler

#15 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 02 September 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

Waldojim mentioned this in another thread (I think he meant to post it here):
"Ok, given the price you want to be, the size, and the hard drive you are looking at, allow me to suggest this.
Call Lenovo. Call them directly, and tell them what you want (I would suggest working from the E431 as the price is already close, and it has what you want), tell them the specs that matter to you (hard drive, cpu, etc) and ask them to hit the price you can afford. I did this when ordering my W520 (a bit more expensive, sure) and they came down $300 to hit my target."

It sounds like a good idea to me. You should be able to get 7 on that as well.

Only the 3rd ebay link worked for me. It's not a bad machine, though I think the E431 is also worth considering. Neither are top-tier machines, but I don't think you'll be able to get one in your budget anyway.

Yeah - not sure why it posted over there... It was most certainly meant to be here.

Thanks for catching that.

#16 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hey, it happens to all of us. :)
Spoiler

#17 User is offline   studentofknowledge 

• Pip

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

I did not see the E431 for around $500. And that's a great idea, I'll be calling Lenovo soon. Thank you

#18 User is offline   flag 

• Pip

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

View Postwaldojim, on 02 September 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Ok, here is my $.02 as well as some reasoniing. Please bear with me a bit.

First up, Brian was recommending the T series for good reason, and I do not disagree. However, you may be better served with the S or L series. Both of those are entry level business machines. Now, for the reasoning. Consumer machines are not meant to handle continuous, high stress loads. These are not considered normal usage for them. As such, while the U series are nice machines, they will run warmer than necessary. As will the Asus laptops in this situation.

The T series from lenovo is a mid-tier workstation meant for full 8 hour workdays. Do what you need to, they will make it. They are also a tad bulky, and expensive. The S series are ultrabooks, weighing in under 4 lbs, and rocking 6 hour battery life. They do have Ultra-low voltage parts though, resulting in sub 2Ghz clock speeds (base i3). The L series are typical notebooks. They weigh about 5 lbs, have no dedicated video card (which it sounds like you don't need), and have normally clocked parts. They start off with a 2.3Ghz i3, though if you can afford the i5, it is well worth it (About 30% gain for $70 on new machines).

The ThinkPad line of machines (T, S, L, W, and X series) are built with long workdays, with heavy workloads in mind. I have a Lenovo w520 that I have run at 100% load for days on end, it barely bats an eye. Now it is taking over email, and game server functions depreciating older desktop hardware that I was using. It does its job extremely well. You can find Think Branded machines on the outlet as well, and I would strongly suggest you look at them. Right now there are several S203 series and E530 series machines on there. The Edge seres are fairly new, but they are designed with many of the same goals as the rest of the business machines. They are simply budget oriented, and as such don't get the advanced roll-cage protection, nor are the built to mil-spec standards. That outlet changes frequently, so keep an eye on it, and look for an excellent deal.

and THAT, is some pretty awesome info.
some people really punish their machines, like 24/7.
as im finding myself about ready to get another laptop, i think ill hop a ride on this thread. the knowledge base is too good to pass up.

the only thing i think i want for sure, is the ability to add a 2nd drive, like an ssd, without losing the optical drive. prefer 8 gigs of ram(spoiled now with my phenom quad core), and watch a few full screen movies when time allows. run vegas pro, cs5, and of course office. games have really taken a backseat, so i dont see diablo 3 in my future. heh, got enough demons : 0
although command & conquer could find a way to get installed :rolleyes:
ive been scopin out the outlet mall at lenovo like you said, but i sense i will end up calling and making a special order like you suggested. any chance i can get the name of your contact?

#19 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

View Postflag, on 05 September 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

and THAT, is some pretty awesome info.
some people really punish their machines, like 24/7.
as im finding myself about ready to get another laptop, i think ill hop a ride on this thread. the knowledge base is too good to pass up.

the only thing i think i want for sure, is the ability to add a 2nd drive, like an ssd, without losing the optical drive. prefer 8 gigs of ram(spoiled now with my phenom quad core), and watch a few full screen movies when time allows. run vegas pro, cs5, and of course office. games have really taken a backseat, so i dont see diablo 3 in my future. heh, got enough demons : 0
although command & conquer could find a way to get installed :rolleyes:
ive been scopin out the outlet mall at lenovo like you said, but i sense i will end up calling and making a special order like you suggested. any chance i can get the name of your contact?

Glad I could help, I will send a PM with the details you asked for.

With your needs, I would suggest looking at the W530. The K1000M, and the K2000M are mid-tier workstation cards with certified drivers. If that ends up being a bit much, consider the T430, with the entry level quadro cards.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users