Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need Help With Win 8.1

#1 User is offline   MaryLouW 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

I REALLY need help with my Wiin 8.1 problem. I just don't know what to do. I am using my old laptop at the moment and the problem is with my desktop computer.

I upgraded to 8.1 and it seemed to go okay other than for the annoying password thing to log in. There is only me and my pets in my home and neither of them know how to use a computer thus there is no need for a password. I was the administrator on my desktop and I had a microsoft account which was required in Win 8 if I wanted to play any of the Xbox games or download other things. But, I didn't have to do the password thing in Win 8.

To make a long story short, I deleted my microsoft account. That was a huge mistake. None of my games worked and I had paid for some. They asked for my Microsoft password. Of course, it didn't work because Microsoft says I don't exist. Someone suggested I get another account, which I did. Win 8.1 still had my deleted account as my login. I'm not sure what all I did but I created another account with the same info I used at Microsoft. Didn't help things. Someone else suggested I make that a local account and that's when the problems really started.

I can no longer log in using my admin account and my new account won't let me access anything under my admin account. No matter what I attempt to do, I get a message saying, "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer... To continue, type an admin password". There is no where to type a password and the only option is to close the window or click the No button.

Bottom line is, how can I get around this message and get my admin account back? Without it, I cannot run any of my registered programs, I cannot access any of my bookmarks, my FTP info, nothing. It's like being in limbo. I am open to suggestion.

Could I reinstall win 8 from the CD and reverse the 8.1 stuff? Computing used to be fun but not so much any more. Microsoft wants to control your life for you.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 User is offline   orlbuckeye 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

View PostMaryLouW, on 28 October 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

I REALLY need help with my Wiin 8.1 problem. I just don't know what to do. I am using my old laptop at the moment and the problem is with my desktop computer.

I upgraded to 8.1 and it seemed to go okay other than for the annoying password thing to log in. There is only me and my pets in my home and neither of them know how to use a computer thus there is no need for a password. I was the administrator on my desktop and I had a microsoft account which was required in Win 8 if I wanted to play any of the Xbox games or download other things. But, I didn't have to do the password thing in Win 8.

To make a long story short, I deleted my microsoft account. That was a huge mistake. None of my games worked and I had paid for some. They asked for my Microsoft password. Of course, it didn't work because Microsoft says I don't exist. Someone suggested I get another account, which I did. Win 8.1 still had my deleted account as my login. I'm not sure what all I did but I created another account with the same info I used at Microsoft. Didn't help things. Someone else suggested I make that a local account and that's when the problems really started.

I can no longer log in using my admin account and my new account won't let me access anything under my admin account. No matter what I attempt to do, I get a message saying, "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer... To continue, type an admin password". There is no where to type a password and the only option is to close the window or click the No button.

Bottom line is, how can I get around this message and get my admin account back? Without it, I cannot run any of my registered programs, I cannot access any of my bookmarks, my FTP info, nothing. It's like being in limbo. I am open to suggestion.

Could I reinstall win 8 from the CD and reverse the 8.1 stuff? Computing used to be fun but not so much any more. Microsoft wants to control your life for you.

Any help is appreciated.

First of all the Microsoft account isn't really there to control access (although it does in a way). The account is to give you access to email accounts and the windows store. Evidently the new account you created is a local account which windows allows

More account information

http://windows.micro...ccount-tutorial

Below will explain and show you how to create a MS account and a local account and explain the difference.
http://windows.micro...count=windows-8

This forums states that your account can't be deleted but it's really just disabled
here is that forum. - http://www.eightforu...ws-account.html

I hope this helps

Windows 8 is alot like Apple and Android as you have account for that lets you attach to the store and sync contacts or whatever things you need to do.

It's always a good idea to google how a change will affect your PC before you do it. Researching the change can prevent you from problems and show you betters ways to do what you want to do.

This post has been edited by orlbuckeye: 29 October 2013 - 06:25 AM

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB with Jelly Bean 4.1.2
Samsung Galaxy SIII - AT&T 16 GB with 32 SSD GB Android 4.3

[A} Acer Aspire V5-571P-6648
Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ i3
8 GB DDR3 1066 RAM will upgrade to 8GB soon
High-definition widescreen 15.6" LED-backlit with multitouch support (1366 x 768)
500 GB SATA (5400 rpm)
Intel® HD Graphics 3000 128 MB
Blacklit Keyboard
5.5 pounds
Windows 8 Pro

Acer Aspire AS8950G-9839
Intel Core i7 2630QM (2.0GHZ) 16 GB DDR3 1066 RAM
18.4" (1920 x 1080)
240 GB OCZ Agility SSD, 750 GB 5400 RPM BD Combo
Added Intel 6200 Wireless Card
AMD Radeon HD 6850M 2GB DDR3 VRAM
Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate

Acer Aspire 9810
Intel® Core™2 Duo processor
T7200/T7400/T7600 with (4 MB L2 cache, 2.0/2.16/2.33 GHz)
4 GB of DDR2 667 MHz memory(dual-channel support)
NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600 with 256 MB of external GDDR2 VRAM
20.1" WSXGA+ high-brightness (300-nit) Acer CrystalBrite™ TFT LCD, 1680 x 1050 pixel resolution

#3 User is offline   MaryLouW 

• Pip

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

View PostMaryLouW, on 28 October 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the response but it doesn't help my situation. I cannot create a new user account on my computer. I don't have that option. No matter what i do, I get that message asking if I want to allow changes and there is no way to respond to that and no where to enter a password. I cannot get past the security.

Creating yet another new account wouldn't allow me to access the data that I had in the original account. I can access the programs but not the data. If I run, for example, Quicken, under the new user account, I have no access to the data, just the program. If I try to open my text editor, it says I need to register it. I use Incredimail - it thinks I"m a new user and I cannot access my messages. In other words, I have a real mess.

This post has been edited by MaryLouW: 29 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

#4 User is offline   Knifeblade 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

On the weird side of MS, do U have a back-up disk or Usb flash drive?

If so~~~~ reboot from them or that, whichever. Should cover your exe.'s, and {NOTE}~~~ may wipe your last NET settings, etc., but should give a new nav. screen to reset, sounds like that's what ya need, somehow~~~ I don't don't think your top has the needed parameters.

snip>I am using my old laptop at the moment and the problem is with my desktop computer. < unsnip

This post has been edited by Knifeblade: 29 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

I refuse to take no for an answer~~~~~~~~~But I enjoy making them say Yes~~~~~~~~~~~Tam a.k.a. Attack Pig

Gateway DX4380G, AMD A6 5400K DualCore @ 3.8MHz, 6GB DDR3 1600, Integrated AMD HD 7540D graphics using Microsoft 8.1 64-bit with Dx11. 1TB 5200 HDD.

#5 User is offline   Knifeblade 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

AS an ASIDE, ~~~ flash your 8.0 before going 8.1, I had a few issues, but my 16 G saved me.

What seemed to happen was that several exe.'s dropped, I got locked out, I put in my flash, and voila.

This post has been edited by Knifeblade: 29 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

I refuse to take no for an answer~~~~~~~~~But I enjoy making them say Yes~~~~~~~~~~~Tam a.k.a. Attack Pig

Gateway DX4380G, AMD A6 5400K DualCore @ 3.8MHz, 6GB DDR3 1600, Integrated AMD HD 7540D graphics using Microsoft 8.1 64-bit with Dx11. 1TB 5200 HDD.

#6 User is offline   MaryLouW 

• Pip

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

View PostKnifeblade, on 29 October 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

On the weird side of MS, do U have a back-up disk or Usb flash drive?

If so~~~~ reboot from them or that, whichever. Should cover your exe.'s, and {NOTE}~~~ may wipe your last NET settings, etc., but should give a new nav. screen to reset, sounds like that's what ya need, somehow~~~ I don't don't think your top has the needed parameters.

snip>I am using my old laptop at the moment and the problem is with my desktop computer. < unsnip

Unfortunately, no, I don't. I have a win 8 installation CD but I don't think that will help much. Can I just reinstall win 8 over the 8.1? Would that work and not destroy my files?

#7 User is offline   Knifeblade 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

If U try a reinstall to 8.0, very good chance U will lose your files. You can re-install 8.0, BUT~~~~~~~~~~~

1] Get a high Gig flash/USB drive and copy your files to that first. 16G should be enough, but I don't know your file size in total. U may need to divide your files into 2 flash drives?
2] Read what buckeye linked.
3} Then~~~ LOL, take a deep breath, and insert your disc, GOTO MY COMPUTER, and R click the drive {CD/ DVD, whichever}, open it.
start up, look for your exe. files, start them, follow the prompts, if you get an "overwrite" message, allow it, should put you back to 8.

note~~ expect around 30+ minutes for the reinstall to happen.

Meh, I just reread your post~~~~~

I suggest boot from your disc, take the hit, IF U can get to files, copy them as per 1}, then start all over.

Maybe some other members have a better path than I, but it worked for me.

One thing I must say, is to remote backup via flash-drive, everything, hard copy, before U go into updates. Sadly, U don't have that option, just a thought if ya get the PC up and running.

One other thought, find your Download area, and delete 8.1. That may work, but as I understand it, you may still need to goto 3} to re-install 8.0.

This post has been edited by Knifeblade: 30 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

#8 User is offline   MaryLouW 

• Pip

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

Deleting the 8.1 download doesn't do anything but delete the file. it cannot be uninstalled either. It's like a plague, it won't go away!

I was able to get most of my files but not the important stuff that is hidden - like my saved emails, my settings for my various FTP sites, those kind of things. There are a lot of things where you don't have a choice as to where they store the information files and those are the ones I lost. If I could saved them in the Documents folder, I probably would have been okay because I do back that up all the time.

I thought if I reinstalled Win 8 from the CD it would wipe out 8.1. Wrong. Now when the computer boots up, it asks me which I wan to use, 8 or 8.1. I went into 8.1 and wanted to wipe out all the files but I keep getting that security message saying it needs an admin to do that.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I have my original installation CD's but I'm afraid if they detect the other operating systems, I will end up with having to choose between win 7, 8, or 8.1. What I need to do is reformat the hard drive but nothing on the menus will allow me to do that. What a ess!!

#9 User is offline   Knifeblade 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

>snip< Now when the computer boots up, it asks me which I wan to use, 8 or 8.1. <unsnip> Go for 8.0. with your disc in your drive.

That's up to U, but hopefully, your disc will override 8.1. IF that's what U want to do.

Just be alert~~~~ some files will poof out. Don't feel bad, many of us are in our learning curve via 8.1.

What I don't quite get is that I U/D'ed to 8.1, and no real problems. HOWEVER< and many and several will say so, back up to an external prior to install. Moot point, but point to be be made.

This post has been edited by Knifeblade: 31 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

#10 User is offline   MaryLouW 

• Pip

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

I mistyped that. It was asking if I wanted to open win 7 or win 8. I don't want a system where I have to pick what to use when I only ever use one. I managed to format the drive and erased everything, now am having problems getting Win 7 reinstalled. Tried using m y win 8 cd but it didn't like that either.

I wish microsoft had left things alone. It used to be a no brainer to upgrade or remove an OS. Now, it's like pulling hens teeth. I may just give up and take the computer to Best Buy and let the Geek squad take care if it. In the meantime, I do have my laptop,

#11 User is offline   nnoelsam 

• PipPip

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

You might want to go back to Windows 7. My school has banned Windows 8 and 8.1 from their network because of security problem with Windows

#12 User is offline   MaryLouW 

• Pip

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

I finally got things back to normal. I went to my c: prompt and typed format c: and off I went. Wiped everything clean.. then installed 8.0 and everything works as it should. Now, my system is so clean I'm almost afraid to touch it! I don't have any of that extra junk they install on a new computer - didn't use that stuff anyway. I only have what I actually use. Once I had everything installed, etc, I made a full backup to my tiny little Passport drive. That solved the problem and now I'm actually in better shape than I was before the problem.

I will NOT go back to Win 8.1 though. I don't want to have to sign in to my computer everytime I turn it on. There's no one in my home but me and my dog and the dog isn't interested in whats on the computer. I don't want a Microsoft account. They have become so darn controlling and want to know your every move. They want you to sign in to everything.. things that I can live without.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions... moral support helps! :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users