PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Need Help With Hp Xb3000 Docking Station Hard Drive - PCWorld Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need Help With Hp Xb3000 Docking Station Hard Drive

#1 User is online   unholydoragon 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:23 PM

I bought a hard drive made specifically for the xb3000 docking station. The docking station works perfectly and after formatting my hard drive, the hard drive can now store files. However, my persistant problem is that my laptop cannot restart or be turned on with the hard drive connected. Do i have to update some sort of bios or anything? Is it because I am using vista or is it just because the 300 gb hard drive is too big? Thanks

#2 User is offline   Spart 

• PipPip

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:40 PM

Make sure you have any firmware/software for the dock up to date.

#3 User is online   unholydoragon 

• PipPip

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

I am not sure where to update them. The HP website does not offer any software or any kind of firmware/driver for the dock. The cd that came with the dock was just a manual.

#4 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:46 PM

Try this site:Driver Guide.comAfter a free registration, you will be able to search their database. You can also download their driver utility and after you run it, the utility will tell you what drivers you need to update.

#5 User is offline   Spart 

• PipPip

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:02 AM

Indeed. If that fails contact HP support and pray they are better than Dell.

#6 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:20 AM

Since you said that you bought a 300GB HD specifically made for the docking station, can I assume that it is an HP branded HD?Do you have both the HD power cord and expansion base power cord attached in the manner show on P 61 of the expansion base manual?

#7 User is online   unholydoragon 

• PipPip

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:13 PM

Yess, They are all HP brand. I have everything set up correctly. Hp support says they cant help me since i didnt buy it from them. I am using an HP Pavillion DV6000 laptop. It has 2 gb ram and came with 105 gb hd. Hp Pavillion DV series laptops have an accessory Docking Station. The docking station is the xb3000. The xb3000 can also hold a hard drive made specifically for the xb3000 docking station. I am using the hard drive with 300 gb. My laptop is using Windows Vista. Thanks

#8 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:28 AM

First of all, HP support is NOT predicated on buying from them. If the machine is in its first year, they are required to support it. Not being familiar with this exact equipment, I am at a loss except to try experiments.Did this machine come originally with Vista? If you bought it a a retail store such as Best Buy, then they should be able to answer questions. If not go back to HP, make sure you are using the Technical Support number, and if the tech tells you that ask for a supervisor. Be firm and insistent. If the supervisor can't or wont, ask for a case number. That will kick it up to a higher level.

#9 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:35 AM

I forgot to ask one question - when in the docking station w/300 GB HD, what is the reaction when you press the on button? Give details, including any error messages.

#10 User is online   unholydoragon 

• PipPip

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:49 PM

[quote name='rgreen4']I forgot to ask one question - when in the docking station w/300 GB HD, what is the reaction when you press the on button? Give details, including any error messages.When I press the on button, the computer will load to the point of the HP screen with the boot menu (esc) and the setup (f10) options. There are no error messages or anything. Also, those options will not work since they will stay on please wait.... for a few moments and will restart. After the HP screen about 1 minute, the computer will restart and this will repeat. I bought this off of an ebay site and I am trying to contact them as well.

#11 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:57 PM

[quote name='unholydoragon']I bought this off of an ebay site and I am trying to contact them as well.Not to assume that this is a "faulty" product from eBay; however, the next time you buy something off of eBay, always use "NEW" in your search. I have made so many purchases through eBay and none of them have been bad.

#12 User is online   unholydoragon 

• PipPip

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:17 PM

[code:1:86a543acba]http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=180128895883[/code:1:86a543acba]The title said new but the seller said they tested all items. I suspect that they tested it and it was detectable in the device manager however they did not test it while turning on nor did they format it since it was RAW EE format when I got it.

#13 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

unholydragon - you say you bought "it" off e-bay. Are you referring to the hard drive, the docking station, the laptop or a combination of them? Were any of the items purchased at a retail dealer?I sounds as if the system is hanging at the point where it checks the drives. Is the 300GB drive an IDE or SATA drvie? You commented that the dock worked perfectly before you formatted the HD. Did the laptop function normally on the dock before you installed the HD? If it did, I would temporarily remove the HD.Do you have an available desktop that you can attach the HD to?

#14 User is online   unholydoragon 

• PipPip

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:37 PM

I bought the docking station and the hard drive off of a retailer on ebay. I can temporarily remove the 300 hd and put it back on later for it to work perfectly. How can I tell if it is an IDE or SATA drive? What happens if it is one of them? However, I cannot plug the hd into another computer since it only works with the docking station and the docking station only works with the DV series laptop.

#15 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:07 PM

Did you get the manual with the docking station?If not you can download it from the HP website. Click on Support and Troubleshooting, enter XB3000, and when it comes up look for manuals. I take it then, that the hard drive was already assembled into the docking station when you got it. The HD goes into a tray that is on the left side of the base when you look at the front of the dock. The laptop needs to be off of it for this. Turn the dock upside down and there should be two screws holding the HD tray in place. Remove the screws and pull out the tray. You should now be able to see the top of the HD. Read the top label of the drive. It may say on there that it is an IDE or an SATA. I think it is an IDE, from the photos in the manual. Another clue will be at the bottom of the top of the HD, there should be a diagram on how to set the jumpers. If it has the terms Master Slave, and Cable Select, it is an IDE. If it has 150 and 300, it is an SATA. Also one end of the drive has connectors attaching it to the tray. If you see a wide grey ribbon cable it is an IDE. If it has a narrow red or yellow rounded flatish cable, it is SATA.Do you have a second computer at your home?

#16 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:47 AM

unholydragon, would you confirm to me how many power cords you have attached to the docking station?

#17 User is online   unholydoragon 

• PipPip

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

I have looked thoroughly through the manual. My problem is not there. There are 2 pwer cords attached to my dockign station. The hard drive was not already assembled into the docking station, when i recieved the items seperately, I put the hard drive in. When I go to properties, it says that this is a basic drive.

#18 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:36 PM

Hi Unholy. This may be a long but have you actually tried to contact HP Technical Support, or at least, checked HP's website for the possibility of a Knowledge Base? I am sure you are not the first person to experience this problem.

#19 User is online   unholydoragon 

• PipPip

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

I have tried contacting HP, I plan on contacting them again after gathering more information. Last time, they got away with the excuse of my product not being bought from HP. The only thing available on there website is the manual. the xb3000 is not in any category.

#20 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:05 PM

[quote name='unholydoragon']I have tried contacting HP, I plan on contacting them again after gathering more information. Last time, they got away with the excuse of my product not being bought from HP. The only thing available on there website is the manual. the xb3000 is not in any category.If they try that again, ask them if they don't support all the HP products bought from Best Buy, Staples, Amazon, etc. Don't let them get away with it this time! They should support their product. The only question is whether or not it is under warranty and thus whether or not you would have to pay for support.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users