Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

do i need a router if i have wi fi

#1 User is offline   uzipolo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:16 PM

I was thinking about buying a routeri have a laptop and a desktopI have access to a strong wi fi conection at my home, but I can only use it upstairs in the bedroom in a certain spot in the house and no place elseWill a router and two adapters one for the desktop and one for the laptop be able to hook me up with the wi fi connection so I can use my laptop all over the houseDo I need the router and adapter with the same companyI can use a USB wireless adapter for both, rightIf not...........what would you recommend?:shock:

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:00 AM

[quote name='uzipolo']I was thinking about buying a router> > i have a laptop and a desktop> > I have access to a strong wi fi conection at my home, but I can only use it upstairs in the bedroom in a certain spot in the house and no place else> > Will a router and two adapters one for the desktop and one for the laptop be able to hook me up with the wi fi connection so I can use my laptop all over the house> > > > > > > > Do I need the router and adapter with the same company> > > > I can use a USB wireless adapter for both, right> > > > If not...........what would you recommend?> > :shock:Some questions before we can help...Where is the "strong WiFi" connection coming from that you mentioned? Is it a neighbor's WiFi connection? Or is it a public WiFi network?What type of Internet connection do you have? Cable modem? DSL? Dial-up? Public WiFi? Celluar broadband?What are your two computer's specs (i.e. brand and model or if custom, processor, mobo, amount of RAM, etc)?Is the desktop located in the same room as the Internet connection modem? In otherwords, is your desktop connected to the Internet connection now? And where in the house is the Internet connection? In particular, how many walls are between it and other areas of the house? Any walls of masonry or bathrooms with lots of plumbing?

#3 User is offline   uzipolo 

• Pip

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:43 AM

:shock: the wi fi connection is comming upstairs in my bedroom by a window it connects to 2 - 3 unsecured networks i haved them saved on my manage my neworks in vista so i dont have to do the disable/ enable thing when i flip the switch on my laptop it goes to the web automaticallyi am also finding when i look at the specs of the routers and adapters alot of them dont have windows vista as a requirement for set up, does that mean all of them dont handle vista or do i need to go to thier site to see whats wrong..what gives??there is no walls between my laptop and my desktop, they are in the same room 4 feet aparti have no dsl no isp no braodband no T-1 connection...........nothing just a wireless card that came inside my laptop and the wi fi signal i get everydaylaptop specs-welp i have the hp dv9000t, the best laptop that yall reviewded on here so yall should know the specs by now but if not.......operating system-windows vista home premiummanufacture-HPtype-laptopmodel-dv9000thd space-200gbchiip -intel ®core ™ core 2 1.66 GhZmemory-2046 mbno adapter, just built in wireless Intel ® pro network card wireles 3945abg network connectionthe desktop is a hp slimline s7605nhd space 200mem-512 Mbchip-1 gigop system- windos vista home premiumno wireless card, no adapterits just in an open bedroomby no plumbing no cell phones microwaves, etcdo i need a router or something that i can just surf the web anywhere in my home with the strong wi fi connectionthe desktop is just used for word processing so i really dont care about too tuff as much as the laptop to surf

#4 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

[quote name='uzipolo']:shock: the wi fi connection is comming upstairs in my bedroom by a window it connects to 2 - 3 unsecured networks i haved them saved on my manage my neworks in vista so i dont have to do the disable/ enable thing when i flip the switch on my laptop it goes to the web automatically> > i am also finding when i look at the specs of the routers and adapters alot of them dont have windows vista as a requirement for set up, does that mean all of them dont handle vista or do i need to go to thier site to see whats wrong..what gives??> > > > > > there is no walls between my laptop and my desktop, they are in the same room 4 feet apart> > > > i have no dsl no isp no braodband no T-1 connection...........nothing just a wireless card that came inside my laptop and the wi fi signal i get everyday> > > > laptop specs-welp i have the hp dv9000t, the best laptop that yall reviewded on here so yall should know the specs by now but if not.......> > operating system-windows vista home premium> > manufacture-HP> > type-laptop> > model-dv9000t> > hd space-200gb> > chiip -intel ®core ™ core 2 1.66 GhZ> > memory-2046 mb> > no adapter, just built in wireless Intel ® pro network card wireles 3945abg network connection> > > > the desktop is a hp slimline s7605n> > hd space 200> > mem-512 Mb> > chip-1 gig> > op system- windos vista home premium> > no wireless card, no adapter> > > > its just in an open bedroomby no plumbing no cell phones microwaves, etc> > > > do i need a router or something that i can just surf the web anywhere in my home with the strong wi fi connection> > the desktop is just used for word processing so i really dont care about too tuff as much as the laptop to surfSince you don't have an Internet connection/ISP of your own but a rather apparently using someone else's connection that they pay for, a router will not do anything for you. A router works with a cable modem or DSL modem connection to provide your 'internal" network some protection from the outside network (i.e. the Internet) and, if it also contains a WiFI access point and/or a network switch, it will also allow you to hook multiple computers up to YOUR Internet connection. But, the key is that YOU need to have an Internet connection.As I personally have issues with using someone elses Internet connection for free that they paid for (even if they are dumb enough or not knowledgeable enough to "lock" it down with at least WEP or WPA encryption), I am not much help beyond that. I will say that there is not much that you can do to improve your ability to use for free their connection, but there are some things. And I will leave it at that.

#5 User is offline   homelights 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:31 AM

good call. I don't believe in stealing WiFi and it is a 'arrestable' offense. But beyond that - Just the fact that you have to go upstairs in front a certain window and stand on one leg, etc. to get conencted should tell you something is not right. I assume you are intelligent enough to know this is not right.If you get on with someone else's connection, however, it is their fault for not securing it. Still doesn't mean you should use it.Get your own Internet feed - cable, DSL, then you can get a Linksys "G" wireless router and your signal should work all over the place. I too will refrain from giving out ways around your current situation.

#6 User is offline   chi03 

• PipPip

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:11 AM

sir,can you teach me how to lock connections?im using a broadband internet.if im using a broadband.if someone in our neighborhood has a laptop can interfere my connection? and worse get some of my bandwidth?

#7 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:22 AM

Hi chi03. You cannot "lock" anything but a wireless connection. If you do not have a wireless connection, your only option would be to make sure you have a firewall in place, ANY FIREWALL.The default Windows Firewall is garbage. The consensus around this forum is Zone Alarm.

#8 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:15 PM

[quote name='chi03']sir,can you teach me how to lock connections?im using a broadband internet.if im using a broadband.if someone in our neighborhood has a laptop can interfere my connection? and worse get some of my bandwidth?First some questions...How do you connect to your Internet connection? Do you use wireless? Or do you use a cable (either an eithernet cable or on some modems a USB cable)?What type of broadband connection do you have? DSL or cable or something else?

#9 User is offline   chi03 

• PipPip

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:09 AM

o i see.i use a cable then there is a antenna on top of our house,then there is a i think satellite that my internet provider is using,so that we can have a internet. my broadband is smart bro wi-fi.from the philippines

#10 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:35 AM

[quote name='chi03']o i see.i use a cable then there is a antenna on top of our house,then there is a i think satellite that my internet provider is using,so that we can have a internet. my broadband is smart bro wi-fi.from the philippinesI don't really follow...Do you use a public/paid WiFi access? Or is it a satelite connection? Or DSL? Or cable modem?

#11 User is offline   chi03 

• PipPip

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:40 AM

i think its a satellite connection.because there is like an antenna on top of our house?can the bandwith lessen if there is a laptop user around our neighborhood?

#12 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:47 AM

Chi03, it would help all of us to understand if you would update your profile so your location shows. I think you mentioned Philippines.If you have a dish on the roof for internet, that is similar to my system. Cloud cover and thunderstorms knock out the system since the signal won't go through heavy rain. Your dish would be connected to a box and then your computer probably connected to the box with an ethernet cable. If that's your hookup, there is no "wireless" to it as the satellite signal is encrypted. And yes the more people on the satellite, the sloooweer it gets.You still need some firewall protection to keep outsider from coming into your system when it's on.

#13 User is offline   chi03 

• PipPip

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:56 AM

ok sir.thanks for the info.but if i install stronger firewall,does it mean that i can have faster connection because outsider cannot come on my network?

#14 User is offline   spike 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:59 AM

[quote name='chi03']ok sir.thanks for the info.but if i install stronger firewall,does it mean that i can have faster connection because outsider cannot come on my network?No, firewalls will not speed up your conection, only secure it.

#15 User is offline   chi03 

• PipPip

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:06 AM

ok sir.thanks!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users