Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how do streaming media players work

#1 User is offline   uzipolo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:09 PM

:shock: i was reading up on this at a glance in pc worls magazine and let me see if i got this straight,,,,,you buy the straming box, conec it to your cpu and you can stream videos, movies,trailers, you tube, etc to your tv to watch??am i saying this right???or what is the primary purpose of the streaming media device?

#2 User is offline   AuroraDizon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

are you talking about redkawa?

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:14 PM

[quote name='uzipolo']:shock: i was reading up on this at a glance in pc worls magazine and let me see if i got this straight,,,,,> > you buy the straming box, conec it to your cpu and you can stream videos, movies,trailers, you tube, etc to your tv to watch??> > am i saying this right???> > or what is the primary purpose of the streaming media device?There are streaming media devices that go either way...stream to a TV from a computer and vise versa, from a TV/DVR/cable box to your computer.The former is a device like an AppleTV or a SqueezeBox (audio only). I use those as the example as they are the ones that I am most familiar. Those devices are attached to your home network (they usually come with at least a wired connection but most will also have some flavor of WiFi) and connect to your computer or some other computer like device. The computer then serves up the contect by streaming it to the device that is hooked to your stereo/TV system. You will usually have a remote that works with the device to send commands to the computer to select what gets streamed, etc.I will note that the AppleTV adds a little twist to the mix. It also has a hard drive to which your content can be "synced" from one computer (or you can stream from any computer with iTunes installed). Thus, the content is copied to the AppleTV and played directly from the AppleTV in that mode. But, the contect still must be copied/synced from a computer.The latter is a device that connects to a device like a DVR, cable box, DVD player, VCR, or etc and then streams the audio/video output from that device across your network (and also typically the Internet too if you want) to your computer. This allows you to watch TV on your computer without having to buy and install a tuner card. Examples are the Slingbox and HAVA.

#4 User is offline   uzipolo 

• Pip

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:39 PM

:shock:ok i got the stramer i got the internet i got my plasma tvi got my laptop i got my device to stream something of presstv or lets say a trailercan i recored my streamsif so..do i.record from my computerhook up a vcr or dvd-rw recorder to my tvsave all that and record from a apple i tv when i buy it

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users