Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pc won't read sd card

#1 User is offline   Kimmi8 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:50 PM

I just got a new desktop pc on vista, that has built in memory card readers for flash cards.Nothing happens when I insert my sd cards. But liuckily I have an usb reader to connect that way, but why won't the built in reader read my cards?

#2 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:45 PM

There can be many reasons. The built in card readers are in fact USB devices, just like the one that you connected to the external USB, except they plug into the MB.It is possible that they are not connected for some reason.If the card reader is attached, several removable drives should show up in Windows Explorer. Mine has 4 slots, so I have:Local Drive C:DVD RW Drive D:Removable Drive F:Removable Drive G:Removable Drive H:Removable Drive I:Please post back the make and model of your computer.

#3 User is offline   Kimmi8 

• PipPip

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

I just inserted the sd card, and nothing happens... no removable drives appear.I have acer aspire t180 desktop. I don't know if I need to do some type of software update?

#4 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:49 PM

Ok, the card reader would show up in Windows Explorer as a drive even if there were no cards inserted. Each slot shows up as a separate drive, mine has four hence drives F through I.For the next step we need to open the side of the case. Several members have commented that opening a Dell case voids the warranty. I don't know about that, I have never heard that about HP or other brands though.The card reader block, (I tried to find a drawing of the front of your machine on the support website, but no luck) connects to an internal USB connection, much the same way your other card reader plugs into an external USB port. In fact the front panel ports plug into a header that is a 10 pin 5x2 connector keyed by having one pin missing. If you have a front panel Firewire connection, it connects the same way.After opening the case, and using a flashlight, locate the wires coming from the front panel. The power button, power light, reset button, speaker, etc are usually a twisted pair of wires connecting to a header that has a number of pins located in two rows. This header is usually in or near the lower corner of the board. Then you will have 2, 3, or 4 heaver wire "cables" with many wires enclosed in a sheath that about 3/16" of an inch. You may have as many as two USB and one Firewire, and the fourth shoult be the card reader.Follow these wires and make sure they are all securely and completely connected to the MB. They header may have a description lettered on the MB near the connection.You may want to note the labels on the MB for these connections.Let me know if this solves the problem.

#5 User is offline   Kimmi8 

• PipPip

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

The problem is the safely remove hardware icon. After The pc started up today, I looked in the Windows Explorer and the removable disks were there, so I inserted the flash card and it loaded.

I tried left clicking the safely remove hardware icon and was able to remove the card, but I tried inserting it again, and the pc won't recognize it.

Am I suppossed to used the safely remove hardware icon to remove flash cards?

I also right clicked on the removable disk icon to safely remove and the same thing happened.

#6 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

Yes, you should always use the safely remove hardware process each time. For some reason it is acting like Windows 98 in that when you use the remove hardware, you cannot reinsert without rebooting.

This is different, and at this point, I do not have an answer.

#7 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:27 PM

rgreen4 said:

Yes, you should always use the safely remove hardware process each time. For some reason it is acting like Windows 98 in that when you use the remove hardware, you cannot reinsert without rebooting.

This is different, and at this point, I do not have an answer.

Actually, I believe you DON'T want to use the "safely remove XXX device" process for card readers. This will completely "remove" the card reader driver from memory. Instead, you should use the "Eject" command when looking at the list of drives in the My Computer screen. If you right-click on the "Removable Disk" drive that has the memory card and select "Eject", then it should be same to remove the memory card. I beliveve the "safely remove" process will remove the ENTIRE device, not just the memory card.

#8 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:43 PM

Hi Smax. You are correct. The three safest ways to remove a drive is:
* Right Click on the drive and Click "Eject"
* Click the "Safely Remove Device" icon near the clock
* Turn off the computer entirely
Only the first option will remove a drive from Windows OR remove a media from a drive. The second option is to remove a drive entirely. If this option is used on a Memory Card Reader, one would think this would "eject" the card. On the contrary, it will "eject" the memory card reader from the computer.

The third option is just a safety net. One of my clients pulled out the USB cord that connected his external drive to his computer. I almost grinched...

#9 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:01 PM

mphenterprises said:

The second option is to remove a drive entirely. If this option is used on a Memory Card Reader, one would think this would "eject" the card. On the contrary, it will "eject" the memory card reader from the computer.

Well, it will ALSO eject the memory card along with the memory card reader! ;-) :D

#10 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:06 PM

LOL Okay, if you want to get technical LOL :^0

#11 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

mphenterprises said:

LOL Okay, if you want to get technical LOL :^0

Hey, I am an engineer...it is in my nature to get "technical"! :^0

#12 User is offline   Kimmi8 

• PipPip

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:32 AM

I tried the "eject" method and it worked :D

Thank you all for your help :)

#13 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

With Pleasure :-)

#14 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:06 PM

Glad to help out. :-)

#15 User is offline   kamehamehakimbre 

• Pip

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:18 PM

Hp ~s3123w

vista home premium

plz help me, I really need to get photos uploaded

thank you

#16 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:30 PM

Hi Kamehame and welcome to PCWorld. :-)

First, please do not latch onto someone else's Discussion; especially a Discussion that has been resolved for over three months.

Please open your own Discussion by clicking on this link. Please be as detailed and concise as possible. The more information you provide to us, the more we can help you.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users