• You cannot reply to this topic

Can you install two video cards?

#1 User is offline   TRAJIK 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:10 PM

Hi,

I have a question I'd like to be answered. Can you install and run both two cards, like NVIDIA and ATI? From my research, I realized that game NFS: Carbon runs better on ATI than Nvidia (?:|), don't know why....

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:28 PM

TRAJIK said:

Hi,

I have a question I'd like to be answered. Can you install and run both two cards, like NVIDIA and ATI? From my research, I realized that game NFS: Carbon runs better on ATI than Nvidia (?:|), don't know why....

Thanks.

Yes, you can install two video cards. I don't believe, however, that you can mix and match nVidia and ATI cards. You will need to use cards with nominally the same chipsets and that nominally use the same drivers. nVidia and ATI drivers don't play nice together from what I understand. My old Dell desktop (not this one but my previous one) had two video cards. I had wanted to have two monitors. So, I went and got an ATI All-in-Wonder card that nominally had the same graphics chipset as the card that came with the system and installed it. Worked like a charm.

#3 User is offline   lilxkid24 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:49 PM

hardcore gamers use 2 video cards for optical performance

#4 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:20 PM

I don't remember what ATI calls it, but nVidia calls it SLI. The motherboard has to support it, and higher end nVidia cards have an edge connector on the top of the card. A bridging connector bridges the cards, (the slot in between generally can no longer be used). It basically acts like one card with two GPU's. That rig can cost twice what I have invested in my new build.

#5 User is offline   piyushsingh 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:47 PM

rgreen is correct. check if ur mobo has SLI support before buying another graphics card.

#6 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:10 AM

piyushsingh said:

rgreen is correct. check if ur mobo has SLI support before buying another graphics card.

It depends on why the original poster wants to run two video cards. If the poster just wants to add another monitor and his/her current card is NOT a dual head card, then SLI (or the ATI equivalent) is irrelevant. If the poster wants more graphics power (i.e. more graphics speed) and wants to combine two graphics cards, then SLI (or the ATI equivalent) is relevant.

#7 User is offline   TRAJIK 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:59 AM

Thanks for the responses. I myself have the Nvidia card, and it's just that I'm disappointed about the fact that this game runs better on ATI cards than any of Nvidia, even with the latest ones. I'm thinking if I buy and install ATI card, would the slow frame rates / lag disappear? If you say it's not possible to have both nvidia and ati cards installed, then perhaps you could disable nvidia driver and then play with ATI? And say, you want to play another game, you might as well want to disable ATI driver and then enable nvidia driver? I dunno...
I mean, I can run this game fine, but the frame rates are saddening, I can't even play it smooth the whole time. Oh yeah, and other games run perfect with my card.

#8 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:43 AM

TRAJIK said:

Thanks for the responses. I myself have the Nvidia card, and it's just that I'm disappointed about the fact that this game runs better on ATI cards than any of Nvidia, even with the latest ones. I'm thinking if I buy and install ATI card, would the slow frame rates / lag disappear? If you say it's not possible to have both nvidia and ati cards installed, then perhaps you could disable nvidia driver and then play with ATI? And say, you want to play another game, you might as well want to disable ATI driver and then enable nvidia driver? I dunno...

I mean, I can run this game fine, but the frame rates are saddening, I can't even play it smooth the whole time. Oh yeah, and other games run perfect with my card.

To my knowledge, you cannot have both an nVidia and ATI driver installed without problems even if one is "disabled". If you wanted to use an ATI card, I believe you would be force to completely remove the nVidia card and its drivers and then power down and install the ATI card. Upon boot up with the new ATI card, it would use a generic driver and then you would need to install the ATI drivers.

#9 User is offline   spike 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:53 AM

It all depends, on the 2 cards you want to use, the motherboard, the chipset,and the power supply.

NVidia = SLI

ATI = Crossfire

YOU CANNOT MIX THE TWO

you can, with some tweaking, use 2 pci cards , for dual monitors, but this would be VERY poor quality.

#10 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:29 AM

spike said:

you can, with some tweaking, use 2 pci cards , for dual monitors, but this would be VERY poor quality.

I dunno...when I did this with a Dell PIII with a Radeon AGP card that I got with the computer and a Radeon All-in-Wonder PCI card that I bought and installed myself, the quality was just fine. This was about 6 or more years ago...so I don't know if it would still hold true for PCIe cards, etc...but I don't see why not.

#11 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

I don't remember the model, but in researching on of the discussion questions, I came across a Dell that had three PCIx16 slots! The first two were in the first and third position with a PCIx1 in between. This is the spacing for SLI. The third slot had two other slots between it so it must have been in slot 6. The only card I know of that is PCIx16 is video cards. Obviously this machine could support 3 video cards, whether the PSU could also or not is another question.

Nvidal and ATI drivers have been mutually exclusive for decades. If you are running an nVidia driver you better not have an ATI card physically in the machine, because the driver will attempt to drive it and it will not work.

#12 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:41 PM

rgreen4 said:

I don't remember the model, but in researching on of the discussion questions, I came across a Dell that had three PCIx16 slots! The first two were in the first and third position with a PCIx1 in between. This is the spacing for SLI. The third slot had two other slots between it so it must have been in slot 6. The only card I know of that is PCIx16 is video cards. Obviously this machine could support 3 video cards, whether the PSU could also or not is another question.

Nvidal and ATI drivers have been mutually exclusive for decades. If you are running an nVidia driver you better not have an ATI card physically in the machine, because the driver will attempt to drive it and it will not work.

A Mac Pro can have upto 4 graphics cards installed. Each graphics card can support upto two 23 Apple displays. Thus, you can have a Mac Pro with (8) 23" Apple Cinema displays. I have not yet figured out how I can afford such a beast (add in the dual Quad core processors, 16 gb of RAM, a second Superdrive and all four hard drive bays with a 750 gb hard drives) and keep my house...nor how I would plug the damn thing in without my house! ;-)

#13 User is offline   TRAJIK 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:57 PM

Hmmm...
So what would be the best way to use ATI card when you have Nvidia card installed in your computer?
Also by the way, if you install another same 2nd card in your machine, would the frames double, increasing the performance? Not much or a lot?

#14 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:02 PM

TRAJIK said:

Hmmm...

So what would be the best way to use ATI card when you have Nvidia card installed in your computer?

Rather force you to scroll back up, I will copy my previous post in again...

[quote name='smax013 previously']
To my knowledge, you cannot have both an nVidia and ATI driver installed without problems even if one is "disabled". If you wanted to use an ATI card, I believe you would be forced to completely remove the nVidia card and its drivers and then power down and install the ATI card. Upon boot up with the new ATI card, it would use a generic driver and then you would need to install the ATI drivers.

#15 User is offline   spike 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:05 PM

My comments , were in regards to gamming. ......as for general applications, it would be fine.

#16 User is offline   spike 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:08 PM

Sound blaster is releasing SOUND cards in the PCI-E form factor, ,,,,,next month,....so some of the newest boards are preparing for it.

Read this; ( about half way down the article )

http://www.theinquir...x?article=42195

#17 User is offline   spike 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:11 PM

TRAJIK said:

Hmmm...

*So what would be the best way to use ATI card when you have Nvidia card installed in your computer?</strong<br />
Also by the way, if you install another same 2nd card in your machine, would the frames double, increasing the performance? Not much or a lot?

DON'T, they are not compatible,....... ever,............ in any situation!!!!!!!!

Not much, unless you have a giant monitor, 24" or more, or run things at extreme resolutions.

#18 User is offline   TRAJIK 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:22 PM

Spike & smax, I think you misunderstood my question...
What I meant was what is a good way to do if you want to play with ATI card? Buy a second case? Lol....

#19 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:07 PM

spike said:

My comments , were in regards to gamming. ......as for general applications, it would be fine.

Gaming ran fine too. Granted I have never been huge into gaming and I have never needed to have the latest and greatest graphics card for the fast fps (frames per second...although I guess it would also count as first person shooter too :-)). But, games like BF 1942 ran fine on it...maybe not to the level that a true gamer would accept it, but I had no complaints.

#20 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:10 PM

TRAJIK said:

Spike & smax, I think you misunderstood my question...

What I meant was what is a good way to do if you want to play with ATI card? Buy a second case? Lol....

If you want to play with an ATI card, your options (as both [~10335] and I have either implied or stated directly) is to get ride of the nVidia card in your current computer and replace it with an ATI card...or get a new computer with an ATI card if you want to keep the old computer running with an nVidia card. Point that we have both made is that you CANNOT run an nVidia and ATI card in the same machine. Just does not work.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users