Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

connect video surveillance camera to computer

#1 User is offline   MoBiz08 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:09 PM

I have a surveillance camera that has connection plugs so it can connect to a VCR or TV (audio and video plugs). But I want it to be able to connect to my computer. What components do I need to buy to do this?

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

MoBiz08 said:

I have a surveillance camera that has connection plugs so it can connect to a VCR or TV (audio and video plugs). But I want it to be able to connect to my computer. What components do I need to buy to do this?

What type of connections specifically does the camera have? RCA jacks? Mini-headphone type jacks? What about your computer?

For audio, you should just need a cable that will go from the camera's jacks to the audio in jack. It will likely either be a straight mini-headphone type jack cable or a cable that goes from right and left RCA audio jacks to a mini-headphone type jack (which is likely what your computer has).

For video, you will need some sort of video input on the computer. This is typically done by way of some sort of tuner card on a computer that has either an RCA or S-Video jack. You then would need a cable to go from what ever is on the camera in terms of jacks to the input port on the computer. So, it depends on what jacks you have right now for each. And you would still need some sort of tuner software to be able to display the video input.

#3 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:08 PM

Look for either a USB or internal video capture card and you can input directly from the camera to the card and using the software for the capture card record and store to the computer. That's the setup I use and then I can burn to a DVD.

#4 User is offline   MoBiz08 

• Pip

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:49 AM

Thanks this helped a lot.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users