PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Internal multi card reader will not read any cards - please help - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Internal multi card reader will not read any cards - please help

#1 User is offline   wnttddyluv 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

Hi,

I purchased a desktop which had an internal card reader already installed. For some reason it will not read my card.

I opened the desktop up to make sure it was connected and it was securely in place.

Then I went to device manager to check on the CF reader and it states that "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I clicked on "check for solution" and it quickly comes up that "could not load driver software" and then the box disappears.

I tried to update the driver and it states that i have the most updated and recommended driver already installed.

Please help. I would love to finally get my pictures off of the card and into my computer.

I purchased this desktop at Costco.com and it is no longer listed there for me to get any additional information regarding the desktop besides the following:

iBuypower Gamer-907Z E6550 2.33GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD DVDRW

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium (pre-installed).

Thank you for any help.

(Also this is my first time here so I hope I'm doing this right)

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:57 AM

Hi, wnttddyluv.

Open up Device Manager and watch what happens to the card reader there as you plug in a card. That could give you a clue.

Another possibility:

Does rebooting make the problem go away?

My Vista laptop has a similar problem I call "plug and ignore mode." Usually this happens if it's been in sleep or hibernate mode for an extended period. The card reader won't read cards, nor does it see new USB devices when I plug them in. If I put the PC into it's docking bay when it's in this mode, it recognizes the AC adapter and the Ethernet connection, but nothing else.

Rebooting is the only cure.

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   wnttddyluv 

• Pip

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

Hi Lincoln,

Thank you for the response. Rebooting won't help either. I rebooted and then tried it again. Nothing happened. Also the device manager still shows an explanation mark on the USB CF Reader.

It seems like Vista doesn't work with it. (I even purchased a new printer with a card reader in the printer and Vista will not load the drivers correctly so that I can send the pictures from the printer to the computer.)

I'm wondering if there is something else in Vista's setup that I need to correct in order to get things to work.

Monique.

#4 User is offline   VladTheImpaler1990 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:02 PM

Hey there did your computer come with a preloaded card reader? Have you tried to download the driver manually, try download.com. and then uninstall the driver and install the driver you just downloaded. The other thing is how old is this pc? It must be recent was it a second hand, if no can you bring it back to the shop where you bought it from?

#5 User is offline   wnttddyluv 

• Pip

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:49 PM

Hi Vlad,

Yes the desktop came with the card reader preloaded. I just purchased the desktop brand new in October 2007. I purchased it at Costco and they do not have a computer repair department.

So this driver on download.com.... how do i know which driver to look for?

Thanks,

Monique

#6 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

VladTheImpaler1990 said:

Have you tried to download the driver manually, try download.com. and then uninstall the driver and install the driver you just downloaded

>
>

Hi Vlad. I am not sure Download.com offers drivers. I believe they are only for applications; at least for what I have seen. Try this site:

Driver Guide.com

After a free registration, you will be able to search their database. You can also download their driver utility and after you run it, the utility will tell you what drivers you need to update. Now, the drivers are not free but I believe you can get free access with a registration to the site. I believe there is a free driver utility but I do not know of it right now.

{quote:title=wnttddyluvwrote:}{quote}
how do i know which driver to look for?

>
>

Hi wnttddyluv and welcome to PCWorld. :-)

I know you listed it previously but I just want to get clarification. The manufacturer of your computer is iBuyPower or is that just the reseller of the computer? If they are the reseller and Costco was the seller then there should be some other name on the computer. Can you please provided this to us?

#7 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

CORRECTION:

I just did a quick and download.com does indeed offer a third-party driver scan:

VersionTracker Pro

I believe this is an one-time only free scan. After that, it is $29.95 for three computers. I am not sure how good this application is or how accurate it is but it is an option.

#8 User is offline   wnttddyluv 

• Pip

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:49 AM

I'm not seeing any other name on the machine. I believe Ibuypower is the manufacturer. There are multiple computers on www.costco.com from this manufacturer. Unfortunately, my computer is no longer listed there. I guess it's true... once you buy a computer it's obsolete.

I recently went to the device manager and uninstalled the card reader. I though that when I restarted it would load up on its own but it didn't and now i'm not too sure how to bring it back. Now i have something else showing an exclamation mark... "Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume - under portable devices" i have no idea what that is.

i don't know what is wrong with me and vista... i never had these kind of problems on XP!!!

anyway... i'll take whatever advice you guys have..

#9 User is offline   wnttddyluv 

• Pip

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:51 AM

i forgot to ask.. earlier it was stated I should go to download.com and install new drivers. i don't know what to look for in order to get the correct driver. have any ideas?

thanks.

monique

#10 User is offline   VladTheImpaler1990 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:06 AM

Hey there MPH

Ya you can download drivers from download.com i just don't know if they have for the card reader but going to try find out.

#11 User is offline   VladTheImpaler1990 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:07 AM

Hey there well i went to download.com and no i could not find drivers there, but they do have drivers there, MPH was mistaken but we all make mistakes, but i have a problem i have been searching the internet for you for drivers, and i have found drivers for card readers but you have to find out what the make of the card reader is, i think it will be on the card reader itself if you open up your tower, and try look on it, if there numbers or a make.

Just becareful no to touch your mother board because any smark will blow it, so you can take copper wire or wire and put it around your wrist and then fiddle and you wll have no problems with that, here is a google search for drivers but as you see you need names. so once you found the name,

go onto google(www.google.co.za) and type "drivers for a (name of card) internal card reader " and i am sure it will come up, if you need any more help don't please ask. Try go to this site to, this would also help: http://www.google.co...e=off&q=driversforainternalcard+reader&btnG=Search&meta=

Good luck!

#12 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:13 AM

Hi Wnttddylu. Okay, from what I can gather, iBuyPower is a distributor of custom gaming computers. This is a good reason why it is best to deal either with the manufacturer directly or with a technician. In this case, I would advise you to contact iBuyPower directly by clicking on the hyperlink below:

iBuyPower Technical Support

This may be your best option, unless we can find the specific driver related to this computer. Even a quick Google search could not pull up your specific computer.

#13 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:02 AM

LOL Yes, I am definitely not an answer machine or claim to be. Honestly, I have never used download.com for drivers but you know the old saying, "learn something new everyday."

#14 User is offline   wnttddyluv 

• Pip

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:36 AM

thanks all of you for your help. I will contact ibuypower as soon as i get back from my business trip on friday. I'll let you guys know what happens by posting then.

monique

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users