Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfer Photos from Desktop to Laptop?

#1 User is offline   zinfan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:18 PM

What is the safest, easiest method to transfer thousands of photo files from a Dell desktop Dimension 8250 running Windows XP (limited to 512 Ram) to a new HP Pavillion dv6500 Notebook running Vista with 4 GB Ram & a DVD drive. A new Lan is in place using a D-Link Highspeed router. Shared files are established and the photo files can be opened on the HP, but I do not know how to tranfer with the wireless Lan. I would prefer to move the files rather than copy them as I am concerned that copying these jpeg files over may reduce the image quality. Is this a valid worry?

A couple of options occur to me. Would a direct USB cable link from router to laptop allow me to transfer seamlessly from the Dell C: drive to the HP Notebook? Alternatively would a 1 or 2 Gig USB plug-in drive allow me to make the transfer? I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions you might have. Incidentally, I have asked this question to HP, D-Link and Microsoft with no success. Each has suggested that it is beyond their help guidelines. Hope you can help.

Cheers, Zinfan

#2 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:35 PM

Hi :)
> {quote:title=}{quote}
Alternatively would a 1 or 2 Gig USB plug-in drive allow me to make the transfer? I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions you might have. Incidentally, I have asked this question to HP, D-Link and Microsoft with no success. Each has suggested that it is beyond their help guidelines. Hope you can help.

Cheers, Zinfan

[/quote]
1-2 gigabytes for copying and transfering files is great, but your drive has to be fast enough for your patience to work, otherwise your going to want another solution. You also may be gliched by space.. How big in size are these photos?

#3 User is offline   zinfan 

• PipPip

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:02 PM

Patience has not been one of my prime qualities. The Dell desktop drive is 7200rpm and the notebook is 5400. I am not sure what this means in terms of testing patience? The good news however is that the files are subdivided into albums which can be broken down into bits for moving. So,moving the data this way from a file size is not a problem. Zinfan

#4 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:46 PM

zinfan said:

Patience has not been one of my prime qualities. The Dell desktop drive is 7200rpm and the notebook is 5400. I am not sure what this means in terms of testing patience? The good news however is that the files are subdivided into albums which can be broken down into bits for moving. So,moving the data this way from a file size is not a problem. Zinfan

No, no, I was talking about your flash drive, not the speed of your hard drive necessarily. I should have said USB-drive to be more specific.
You can use the flash drive to transfer files, but depending on how fast your flash drive moves data will rate how long you have to wait to transfer files from computer to computer.

Give it a shot?

#5 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

Hey zinfan! To give you my experience with transferring files, I acquired a "Sandisk Cruzer Micro usb Flash drive 4GB" about a 6 weeks ago and really don't regret it. Right now at CircuitCity they are on sale for $39.99 plus an additional mail-in for $10.00. I have transfered all kinds of files with it and will not try your patience. It is more than fast and capable of handling what you throw at it. Now if I remember correctly the transfer speeds were "Read 10 MB/s, and Write 3MB/s. (I Think) you would have to double check just to make sure. On top of being versatile there is the U3 smart program( sort of a OS with apps. ) and a Anti virus to scan your files as they are transfered to the flash drive.This is the least expensive but most versatile toy that I bought in a long time. Check it out.

FLASHORN.

#6 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:23 PM

zinfan said:

What is the safest, easiest method to transfer thousands of photo files from a Dell desktop Dimension 8250 running Windows XP (limited to 512 Ram) to a new HP Pavillion dv6500 Notebook running Vista with 4 GB Ram & a DVD drive. A new Lan is in place using a D-Link Highspeed router. Shared files are established and the photo files can be opened on the HP, but I do not know how to tranfer with the wireless Lan. I would prefer to move the files rather than copy them as I am concerned that copying these jpeg files over may reduce the image quality. Is this a valid worry?

A couple of options occur to me. Would a direct USB cable link from router to laptop allow me to transfer seamlessly from the Dell C: drive to the HP Notebook? Alternatively would a 1 or 2 Gig USB plug-in drive allow me to make the transfer? I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions you might have. Incidentally, I have asked this question to HP, D-Link and Microsoft with no success. Each has suggested that it is beyond their help guidelines. Hope you can help.

Cheers, Zinfan

First, by default, it will be a copy when going from one drive to another. You have to "force" Windoze to do a "move" when going from one drive to another. The default when going from one location on a drive/partition to another place on that drive/partition is a "move" and you have to "force" a copy. But, for what you are doing, the default will be a copy. And a copy is just fine. It will not affect the quality at all.

As to how, that will depend on what you have available to you hardware wise both on the computer and otherwise. If both the Dell desktop and the HP laptop have Gigabit ethernet (1000baseT connection....1000Mbits/s), then potentially the fastest and easiet way would be to copy the files by way of an Internet connection. If the D-Link router has Gigabit ports, then you would just need two Gigabit compatible (cat 5e should work, but could go with cat 6 cables to be on the safe side) cables to connect each computer to the router. If the router does NOT have Gigabit ethernet, then you would want to connect the two computers with a Gigabit compatible crossover cable. But, it appears that the HP laptop does NOT have Gigabit ethernet, which leaves you with Fast Ethernet.

If either computer only has Fast Ethernet (100baseT...100 Mbits/sec), then you fastest mode would likely be to copy the files to an external hard drive from the first computer, then move the external hard drive to the other computer and then copy the files to the new computer. This would likely be a USB external drive, unless the computers have a Firewire port (Firewire will be faster). This will likely be faster than doing a network tranfer even if you do have to copy the files twice (once from old computer to external hard drive and a second time from external hard drive to new computer). In theory, the network transfer would likely be easier as you would only have to copy the files once. The variation on this would be to use the flash drive that you mentioned, but assuming that your pictures are more gigabytes than the capacity of your flash drive, you would be doing it potentially many times. Obviously, if you don't have an external hard drive, then this option would not work...however, you could go get an external hard drive to use for this purpose and then use it to backup your computer's data files (including the pictures)...you do backup your computer, right? ;-)

If you are going to do the network transfer, then I would STRONGLY suggest that you do it using a wired connection, not the wireless connection. Even if you don't have Gigabit ethernet, it will still be faster than wireless connection on the laptop...unless you happen to NOT have Gigabit ethernet but do have 802.11n wireless...but then you will still be limited by the transfer capacity of the wired connection of the Dell desktop, which is most likely just Fast ethernet.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users