PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How do you get the old stuff off old computer and move it to new one? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you get the old stuff off old computer and move it to new one?

#1 User is offline   dizinaz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

I just got a newer computer with xp , bigger hard drive, how do i get the programs and all that "stuff" from one computer to another? Both run xp.

#2 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:36 PM

First - Programs - they must each be individually installed from the original install disk or download file. While there are sometimes programs to transfer this over, they vary and sometimes don't get the programs properly installed. While this may seem like a terrible hassle, Do it this way - keep your old machine handy, but use the new machine. Everytime you want to use a particular program, install it on the new machine. Then uninstall it on the old machine if you are not going to use both. After a while, you will discover what programs you really want and which ones just clog up the hard drive.

Data Files - these can be tricky especially if you have not organized them. Windows likes to scatter data files, many of them are under Users and your name, but not all. Some are in the program file folder in the same folder as the program they associate with. Take this opportunity to create a central Data folder and then sub folders for various programs under that. Then when you install the programs, point the default at the proper folder and they will all be organized. The actual files can be moved by burning a CD with the data or using USB flash drives. If the size of the files exceed the flash drive (or even a DVD), then the process can be repeated.

Another way to move the data is to remove the old hard drive from the old machine, and install it as a slave or secondary drive in the new machine, assuming the new machine will support the old drive. Most new machines have SATA hard drives and most machine 2+ years old had IDE hard drives. Some new machines have IDE support and some do not.

#3 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:49 PM

Hi RGreen. Quick question - I have never used this feature but how well does the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard perform these tasks?

#4 User is offline   dizinaz 

• Pip

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:58 PM

You make it sound easy! When I download the file...I have an external burner, I go to the burn part and "move to burn?" Where would I look to create a central data folder and sub folders? I want to do it right the first time, if possible. I thank you for your help, I will have another question or two when I do this if you don't mind sharing your knowledge. The new computer, how will I know if it will support the old hard drive? What to look for? SATA or IDE this is labeled on them? Is there a site you are aware of where I could read up on "how to" install the other hard drive? So many questions. Really appreciate your help.

#5 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:59 PM

I have not used that either. I know that when I update my D530 which has all my Outlook Express files, I am going to clean the machine up of everything else and use the Vista upgrade to convert to Windows Mail.

A combination of backing up and transferring a few times from one machine to another drove me to go back to a single data storage point on a machine. Now of course that is off the machine and on the network.

#6 User is offline   piyushsingh 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:14 PM

If you dont want to get the disks in and out , just get a LAN cable and share your entire disk on old comp and then you can easily transfer all your data.

#7 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:22 PM

To create the central data storage point, I go into Windows Explorer, click on c: and then up at the top click on File, then New and then Folder. It will create a new folder with the name "new folder" in a text box with the cursor. You can then name the folder anything you want. I just use Data. Then you highlight the Data folder and go through that process again for things like Quicken, Taxes, etc. what ever types of data you may have.

Then when you load you cd, you just drag and drop the files from the CD to the new folders. Sometimes the act of burning the files onto a CD sets the file attribute to read only, and then you just go into Windows Explorer, point to the folder, right click on the file you want to alter and then properties. At the bottom of the properties window you can set the file attributes, unchecking the read only box.

As to the Hard drive, you will need to open both cases. When you open the old machine you should see a flat grey cable with about 40 or so wires going to the hard drive. There will also be 4 individual wires red, black, white and yellow (I believe - I am going from memory, I can't check) going into a four prong plug most likely white (called a Molex connector). This is the power connector, and the flat cable is the signal cable.

Open the new computer and you should see a flattened oval cable about 1/2" inch wide and generally red (but other colors exist) ending in a smallish black connector. Next to that again are individual wires, this time 5 with the same 4 as before with the addition of orange. This is the power connector and the plug is thinner than the Molex and black and is the wider of the two connectors. This is the SATA connection.

Then look at the connection for the CD/DVD drive. If it looks the same as I have described for the HD, then it too is SATA. If the connection appears like the HD connection in the old computer then it is probably IDE. You can unplug the CD/DVD drive cables and hook the old HD to them and then set the drive on a box of something beside the computer. Do not let the drive dangle from the wires, and be careful about the electronics on the bottom of the HD. Always ground yourself before delving into the computer. You can then start the computer and copy the files directly from the old drive to the new drive.

If the CD/DVD drive is SATA, you may still have an IDE connector on the MB. Look for an open rectangular connector with two rows of pins. There may be 40 (2 rows of 20) or 39 (1 pin missing as a key). This would be an IDE connector.

If the CD/DVD driove is SATA and there is no IDE connector on the MB, then you would have to order an adapter to plug into the drive and then into a USB port. These run anywhere from $20 to $40 depending on brand. For a one time shot, with not too many files, it would mean waiting to get one (most big box stores don't carry them as stock). I would not want to transfer my 80GB of data by DVD or CD, so I would wait.

Open you machines, take a look and let us know what the situation is.

#8 User is offline   dizinaz 

• Pip

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

You are a heck of a guy!

I will try this in the morning and let you know. THANK YOU!!

#9 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

dizinaz - I just noticed your post on the backup thread. If you have an online backup, you can use the backup to populate the data on your new drive.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users