Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Verizon FiOS Router IP Address Allocation

#1 User is offline   Zomic13 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:59 PM

I have Verizon FiOS and the Verizon wireless router. Recently I have been unable to connect with my Nintendo DS, despite previously being able to connect just fine.

After messing around with the settings on the DS, I believe I accidentally set the router to assign the DS with a static IP adress. The problem is I can't find a way to change it back to a dynamic IP address. As a result, my DS is able to connect to my Wi-Fi network, but unable to obtain an IP address.

Does anyone know how to change a device from recieving a static IP address to a dynamic one on a Verizon FiOS router?

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

Zomic13 said:

I have Verizon FiOS and the Verizon wireless router. Recently I have been unable to connect with my Nintendo DS, despite previously being able to connect just fine.

After messing around with the settings on the DS, I believe I accidentally set the router to assign the DS with a static IP adress. The problem is I can't find a way to change it back to a dynamic IP address. As a result, my DS is able to connect to my Wi-Fi network, but unable to obtain an IP address.

Does anyone know how to change a device from recieving a static IP address to a dynamic one on a Verizon FiOS router?

Generally, the configuring to have a device use a static vs. a dynamic IP address is done on the DEVICE, not the router. You can typically turn off the ability of the router to assign dynamic IP addresses or limit the number of dynamic IP addresses the DHCP server in the router will assign, but a router will NOT "assign" a static IP address to a device. It is on the device that you configure whether you want that device to use a dynamic IP address (in which case, the device will "contact" the router/DHCP server and ask for an IP address that the router/DHCP server then assigns) or a static IP address (in which case, YOU select an unused IP address that you must then MANUALLY enter into the device). This should be completely independent of the fact that you are using a Verizon FiOS router. Thus, you should need to go into the Nintendo DS network settings and change it back to using a dynamic IP address. The exception is if you turned of the DHCP server in the router. If that is the case, then you will need to go into the router settings, which I will likely not be much help as I don't have Verizon FiOS.

#3 User is offline   Zomic13 

• PipPip

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:15 AM

That's what I don't get. I did change the settings on my DS back to recieve a dynamic IP instead of a static one...yet the FiOS router still insists on assigning it the static IP. Now fortunately I was able to set my DS up to work with the static IP, but its not how I would prefer it to be set up.

The best way I can describe the situation is that the FiOS router seems to remember the devices that connect to it. I conneced once to the device with a static IP and now it only wants to let the device have that IP, despite the fact that the settings on the device are asking for a dynamic IP.

Thanks for your help though.

#4 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

Zomic13 said:

That's what I don't get. I did change the settings on my DS back to recieve a dynamic IP instead of a static one...yet the FiOS router still insists on assigning it the static IP. Now fortunately I was able to set my DS up to work with the static IP, but its not how I would prefer it to be set up.

The best way I can describe the situation is that the FiOS router seems to remember the devices that connect to it. I conneced once to the device with a static IP and now it only wants to let the device have that IP, despite the fact that the settings on the device are asking for a dynamic IP.

Thanks for your help though.

The router is still not "assigning" the static IP address to the device. It might not assign an IP address when you switch it back to dynamic IP address for some reason, but routers don't "hand out" static IP addresses. For a static IP address, YOU (not the router) must manually enter the IP address into the device. In reality, you should be able to manually put in any IP address into the device yourself that is not already taken on your little subnet by another device and that is within the proper range of IP addresses that your router is using.

When you switched the device back to dynamic IP address, did you reset the router/modem? This is typically done by powering it down for about 30 sec and then plugging back in, but don't know if that is the case with a FiOS router/modem or not. I have seen routers get "stuck". In particular, if your router is set to only handout a certain number of dynamic IP addresses, then this can happen sometimes...the router never gets the signal that a device "released" the IP address and thinks it is still connected and thus, "counts" that device against the number of IP addresses. Many routers can have a limit to the number of IP addresses assigned by the DHCP.

The other thing is that some devices need to still have the gateway (aka router) IP address defined so that it can "find" the DHCP server. If it is not defined/entered, then the device cannot connect to the router/DHCP server and ask for the IP address.

Every thing else that I can think of would be due to messing around with the settings in the router...and it sounds like you did NOT do that...only messed with the Nintendo DS settings.

#5 User is offline   Zomic13 

• PipPip

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:33 PM

The FiOS router has a page where it lists all of the devices that are a part of your network, even if they are not currently connected. The problem is that it lists the DS as a device with with a static IP address (regardless of what the settings are on the DS when I connect it). If I set the DS to request a dynamic IP, it simply brings up an error message that it was unable to obtain an IP address.

#6 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:26 PM

Zomic13 said:

The FiOS router has a page where it lists all of the devices that are a part of your network, even if they are not currently connected. The problem is that it lists the DS as a device with with a static IP address (regardless of what the settings are on the DS when I connect it). If I set the DS to request a dynamic IP, it simply brings up an error message that it was unable to obtain an IP address.

You did not answer whether or not you reset the router. It sounds as if the router is "stuck" on the old setting and is not "releasing". Resetting it should "release" it. If that does not work, then you can try restoring the router to factory settings.

#7 User is offline   Zomic13 

• PipPip

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:21 PM

I did reset the router. Restoring the router to its factory defaults isn't an option as it would be problematic for me.

#8 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:02 AM

Zomic13 said:

I did reset the router. Restoring the router to its factory defaults isn't an option as it would be problematic for me.

If resetting the router did not help, then I am at a loss. Looks like you might be stuck with a static IP address or you might have to call Verizon for some support. Consider how painful support usually is, I would just use a static IP address (personally, I use static IP addresses for all my computers/devices anyways, so it would not bother me one bit).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users