• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for a good AD BLOCKER.

#1 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

Hi, everybody. Yesterday afternoon I was doing some research on a website and was assaulted by a strange, very graphic, and shocking pop up... which I do not care to mention by name.

So, I'm looking for a good, free Ad Blocker. I have already received a couple of suggestions: Ad Block Plus and IE7 PRO.

I have checked them both. Ad Block Plus is a Firefox add-on and doesn't seem to be compatible with Vista, although I was told it is.

IE7 PRO, looks legit, but I noticed quite a few misspelled words; also, the bottom of the page where the web/server info, contact us, etc., appears, is fuzzy, and my first gut feeling was not to trust it.

I wonder if you good people of PCW have other suggestions? things that you have tried or are using right now? something effective and easy to use? and free?

As always, your assistance is very much appreciated.

#2 User is offline   lilxkid24 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

enable pop up blocker? It wont filter out all of them but 90% of them it does filter.

#3 User is offline   snorg 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:42 PM

Hi Adama
Why not get Ad Block Plus the Firefox add-on and see if it works with Vista then let us know what happens.

There is really good one called Ad Muncher its the best thing since sliced bread, it works with FireFox and IE. Its not free tho, it will cost you about $27. There is a 30 day free trial.

#4 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:55 PM

Hi, Snorg. Thanks for the link to Ad Muncher, it actually looks really good. I just want it to be non-complicated and easy to use. I saved it to My Favorites and I will give another thorough check as soon as I can. :D

#5 User is offline   snorg 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

Ad Muncher is the easiest use, it works automatically, and it updates by itself. But you can also put in your own custom blocks as well.

#6 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:12 AM

Adama, I use Ad Blocker in Firefox.

#7 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:43 AM

Hi Adama. As mentioned, Ad Blocker Plus is definitely compatible with Vista, but only with Mozilla Firefox. From the context of the messages you sent me, I was under the impression that you were looking for an Ad Blocker for Internet Explorer.

AdMuncher appears to be a good choice. I say that, as well as Internet Explorer's built in Pop-Up blocker, should be a good combination.

#8 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:30 PM

mphenterprises said:

Hi Adama. As mentioned, Ad Blocker Plus is definitely compatible with Vista, but only with Mozilla Firefox. From the context of the messages you sent me, I was under the impression that you were looking for an Ad Blocker for Internet Explorer.

AdMuncher appears to be a good choice. I say that, as well as Internet Explorer's built in Pop-Up blocker, should be a good combination.

Hi, MPH. You're absolutely right, I am looking for an Ad Blocker to use with I E. However, like I said in my original post, something didn't quite look right with the IE7 Pro, so I went with my gut feeling about it.

The truth is still out there... ;-)

#9 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

Hi adama, I don't know who your isp is, but they are falling down on the job. I had Earthlink on dial up and now msn with fiber. I've had neighbors tell me about those things, but I can honestly say, I have never been bothered with that stuff or any pop ups, except the subscription thing on this site which is no biggie as it is very sporatic. Both of my isps have had some terrific pop up blockers, if you enable them. coastie65

#10 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:54 PM

Hi, Coastie. My ISP is AT&T Yahoo! and they're really falling down on their job. I'm getting kind of tired of Yahoo!'s "new and improved" ads. Now they're even bigger, come down from nowhere,

!http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

and are just totally annoying and obnoxious! grrrrr...

#11 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:57 PM

Nice emo. Yahoo was my other choice with Verizon, but stayed with msn after I installed it. coastie

#12 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:48 PM

I probably should have read the part where you wanted something for Internet Explorer and not Firefox. However, I can guaruntee you that if I were to be in your position, Adblock Plus on my web browser would most likely b-l-o-c-k all a-d-s from AT&T & Yahoo :)
Let us know how Ad Muncher works, if you try it.

#13 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:24 PM

Well, it only took me 9 months to consider this thread Answered. LOL

I installed Ad Muncher a few weeks ago and I think it's great, you don't have to do anything to it - except for if you want to allow ads in certain websites - then you do have that option.

So, I'm happy to report that it works like a charm.

Thanks for all your help! :D

#14 User is offline   snorg 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:38 PM

[b]9 months?[img]http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/?!? Boy or Girl?!?![/b] !http://www3.telus.net/public/andnod/emot/taz.gif[/img]

While you were gestating i have tried some other blockers for IE none of them worked.
Posted Image I avoid IE like the plague it is.

#15 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:41 PM

Hahahaaa Well, I guess it's a girl, since I called it Charm. LOL

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users