PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How does the iolo suite stand amidst the others? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How does the iolo suite stand amidst the others?

#1 User is offline   doublewitt 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:56 PM

Currently, I'm using the *latest from iolo technologies for security and system maintenance. So far, I have no real complaints - but - I was just wondering where does the iolo suite stand compared to others. The reason I ask is I have to renew soon with them but I'm wondering if I should make a switch to another suite. iolo includes the anti-virus, firewall, spyware detection, and complete system maintenance as well. There is really a great number of tools in this suite. But my concern is mainly SAFETY. And so does iolo have a good standing vs other suites? I'm not finding enough reviews about it. Despite the fact that their system mechanic is really good, I'm really wondering about the efficiency of their safety apps. I've trialed others like AVG, Kaspersky, and they haven't found anything more than iolo on my computer. But I still feel the need for re-assurance about safety issues with iolo. I would appreciate any sensible advice...

#2 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:09 PM

Posted Image Hi :

I had never HEARD of Iolo Suite prior to your Post . Iolo Technologies is known ONLY for its "System Mechanic" . Their "System Shield 3 Internet Security", "Iolo Antivirus", & "Iolo Personal Firewall" have never been recommended by anyone I know . As to their "Internet Security ( Suite )", we favor the "Layered" Approach on this Forum ; see the "Document" I created at forums.pcworld.com/docs/DOC-1141|d-1141 . IF you are looking for the Best in antivirus protection & you are willing to PAY for it, then "NOD32" from Eset Software is my Choice ; IF a good "FREE" version is acceptable, I recommend Avast Home ( [http://www.avast.com] ), then AVG Antivirus FREE . For "Pay-for-it" antiSPYWARE/antiTROJAN protection, then "CounterSpy" from Sunbelt Software is my Choice; IF a good "FREE" version is acceptable, my Choice would be the FREE Version of "SUPERAntiSpyware" from [http://www.superantispyware.com] . Making Firewall recommendations is harder, because the SPECIFIC Version of your Operating System should be known .

IF you are looking for INFO from a good INDEPENDENT Source, I recommend [http://www.av-comparatives.org] , particularly their Test results for the "Retrospective/Proactive" category ; it is there you will see NOD32 was the runaway "Winner" .

#3 User is offline   doublewitt 

• PipPip

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

Hi SpiritWind,

thanks for your answer.

Actually in Windows XP SP2, I'm now using the System Mechanic Professional v7.5.6 which includes the anti-virus, firewall, and spyware detection. Ofcourse, there are different buying alternatives on the iolo website. And yes, you don't hear much talk about iolo's internet tools probably because they haven't been around very long. It's relatively new... but on the other hand, I dare say that when I trialed other versions, I didn't see much difference with them compared to iolo's internet tools (APPS). They didn't find things that were missed by iolo. I also tried AVAST HOME, and the Commodo products and they also didn't show better results. So after all the different "trials" I made, none of them out-performed iolo in any way at all. Now, that's solely on my computer ofcourse. And so that's the reason why so far, I have remained with iolo's System Mechanic Pro version.

I will carefully review the independant link-source you provided.

thanks

#4 User is offline   piyushsingh 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:29 PM

i would say that use some other applications for firewall, antivirus. Iolo suite is a perfect tune up utility and it has everything that a great system optimizer utility should have, but its security part arent that good.I had seen 6.0 version on a friends system,also tried the trial version of 7.0 suite some time back - did excellent optimizations.An application cannot excel in all areas, it does great tune ups, so leave the antivirus thing to other apps. meant to do only that part.

#5 User is offline   doublewitt 

• PipPip

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:49 PM

"but it's security part arent that good"
How would you know if you haven't given it a fair try?

What facts do you have to base your view on?

"leave the anti-virus thing to other apps"

That's a point of view. But mine is, I don't really favor the "standalone" approach as some do - I prefer the sweet suite. ;)

In time, the suites will do just as good or better - perhaps some have matured to that status as of today... some computer users are so brainwashed by the standalone theory and so, they are not open-minded enough to discover other things. I believe in the concept of centralizing data management and maintenance tasks. It makes a lot of sense and it helps to develop a powerful focus in computer usages. It's more difficult to manage things when you spread info tasks throughout several APPS. It actually tends to get quite complicated. From my experience, I believe that consolidating info tasks is the secret to better organization.

I guess iolo needs time and exposure to gain a reputation. That's not achieved overnight! Are the iolo internet safety APPS worth considering...?? - only time will tell...(so far, so good...!)

Though it's relatively new, It's doing a really good job on my computer. It just makes me wonder how it compares with others through other testing grounds aside from mine... - again - I guess only time will tell...

#6 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

:D Hi :

Unless you compare the performance of a security program. One really does NOT know IF "It's doing a really good job" . I challenge you to install the FREE Version of "SUPERAntiSpyware" from www.superantispyware.com , "Update" it, then run its "Complete Scan" to see IF it detects anything . In another Thread on this Forum, I requested someone to do this and the Result was the "discovery" of some really bad malware . The Poster said he was surprised as he had Lavasoft's Ad-Aware on his computer . You MAY have a similar experience . The concept of centalized data management does NOT apply to computer security for the Best Means of protecting a computer, especially in this increasing creation of malware, which MAY include several trojans AND rootkits which "protect" One another . Most of the people I see asking for help on the Support Sites staffed by experienced, trained, certified, Volunteer "Malware Fighters" require the use of several, specially designed programs to rid their computers of Malware .

#7 User is offline   piyushsingh 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:04 AM

i have used their trial for 30 days and that is sufficient to judge the capabilities of any program.And if you want to use one complete suite then its fine , atleast you have all in one place and you wont miss any thing. iolo's registry repair is good, so is their junk cleaner and invalid shortcuts remover.They have a memory defragmenter , it shows great jobs on my old system but didnt freed any on my newer(new ram are better designred), defragmenter is good than windows, do deep defragmentation (slow but effective) sometimes.It has a very good system diagnostic tools plus a startup services editor and a power uninstaller that can remove almost any any annoying application.I wasnt impressed by their antivirus, their spython spy removal missed many which avg free edition caught.I think they also have a "duplicate file scanner" - i will avice not to use it , it will list some windows files removing which will land you in trouble, i had to do a system restore after i removed wothout seeing the long list.
i hope that helps. :-)

#8 User is offline   doublewitt 

• PipPip

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

OK - I took your advice and downloaded and installed the SUPERAntispyware app. I ran a "complete" scan and it found NOTHING! I've included a snapshot of the logged report within the app. However, immediately after, I ran the spyware tool within System Mechanic Pro and it found a parasite and afterwards, I disinfected my system. Again, System Mechanic Pro came through with better results on (my system). I think that to really "see" the results that this software suite can bring, you have to run it on your system for a while. The MAIN difference here is that the spyware tool in the iolo suite ran a "quick scan" and found something. I now will run a complete scan...
!http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

Notice that a full system scan with SUPERAnti-spyware is very long...

I've done similar tests with Adware SE PLUS and System Mechanic came through again...

one more for iolo (!)

#9 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:41 PM

First disconnect your PC from the world (ie: the internet) and run your Iolo scan. Then run the Superantispyware scan, the run Adware SE scan, then run the Iolo scan again. That is four scans.

If Iolo finds spyware on the very last run, you may have to ask where it came from, since it was disconnected from the world.

There have been instances of "false" positives from less than premier anti spy programs.

#10 User is offline   doublewitt 

• PipPip

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:47 PM

I've done tests forwards and backwards and also similar to what you describe. I've never encountered results as you mention.

CORRECTION:

There have been many instances of "false" positives from very premier anti spy programs.

#11 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:58 PM

:D Hi :

The SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Results you Posted were impressive; however, it is RARE that the "File threats detected" are zero . When I run a "Complete scan" of SUPERAntiSpyware I usually get a few "detections" in that "category". I wonder IF it MAY be cause by WHICH "Scanner Options" were selected under the "Scanning Control" Menu !? Which of those "Options" have a checkmark in the "box" ?

By the way, my "Complete scan" usually takes about 35 minutes, with 3 of the "Options" unchecked .

#12 User is offline   doublewitt 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:12 AM

If you regularily get a "few detections in that category", well then, maybe your real time protection isn't working the way it should be. System Mechanic Pro really keeps my system clean. It's always running in the background fine-tuning my system and providing real-time protection constantly. Anyways, I always use other apps "tools" to comb through and check my system just the same. The same thing applies for the registry cleaner (Eusing free registry cleaner). The only thing is, they don't find much since the iolo suite takes care of the greater part...

When I ran the complete scan with the iolo spyware tool, it found nothing else because the real-time protection (iolo anti-virus) is actively working in the background.

Chalk up another one for iolo. (!)

#13 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:30 AM

doublewitt said:

>
>

Currently, I'm using the *latest from iolo technologies for security and system maintenance. So far, I have no real complaints - but - I was just
wondering where does the iolo suite stand compared to others...But I still feel the need for re-assurance about safety issues with iolo.

>
>

Hi DoubleWitt and welcome to PCWorld. :-)

Although I personally have not used Iolo Suite or suggest security suites in general, it would appear that you are pretty satisfied with the combination of applications you use. If I may be frank, it also appears that each suggestion we present to you is summarily turned down. If you are content with the way Iolo Suite and System Mechanic protect your computer, there is no need to change or no need for concern.

The vast majority of us within this forum use the layered (or tiered) approach to security. However, it is not for everyone. Personally, I do not rely on reviews or opinions to enable me to choose the right applications, I do as you have, I use the application and make a decision for myself. You are the best judge on how an application works for your computer.

#14 User is offline   doublewitt 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:51 AM

Yeah, I'm happy with it - but - with all that's going on today on the net, I guess there is always cause for concern. Every now-and-then, I make comparitive tests with other apps - just to be on the safe side as no application scores 100% at all times. So in fact, I still use a "layered" approach. I'm always *actively checking. And so I don't perform this on a daily or weekly basis as some do. I do an "every-now-and-then" layered check for obvious security reasons.

Not relying on other's reviews and opinions is good, I guess, however, it's useful for the layered setup - especially after making tests. I'm always actively checking other apps and suggestions. As I'm happy with iolo, it's not a reason to sit down on the issue. I'm always striving to improve and to ensure that everything goes well. Alternatively speaking, you can have a "suite" and still apply a layered approach. I have turned "nothing" down here in this thread! - I'm evaluating... wisely reviewing...

Most people figure they can apply either a "suite" or "layered" protection. Why reason like that when you can combine the two? The difference is that the suite will do the bulk of the work and the layers will catch or filter through for added protection. As I said above, the layers in my system catch some things but not a lot because the suite does the greater part of the job. And yet, I still find the layered approach useful. From what I have observed, when people solely focus on layers, yes, they find things and yes, they find more things because there is no suite applied. At least, I think that the combination of the two brings better results - as per my tests. I really see a difference this way... ofcourse, anyone can disagree - that's OK. But that's where it stands for me. I combine the operations and see results. That's my experience. So instead of saying:

suite OR layers, I'd rather say: suite + layers.

#15 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:08 AM

doublewitt said:

Yeah, it's not a reason to sit down on the issue. I'm always striving to improve and to ensure that everything goes well.

A wise position to take. The reason that most of the community members do not like tha all in one suites are two fold. 1) A suite may take a particular app that is their strong point - ie: Norton's was noted in the early days for it anti-virus, and add other apps to fill out the suite that are not the strongest. 2) The two best know security suites (Norton's and McAfee) are also noted for taking over and slowing down the PC by it intrusion, and they are notoriously difficult to remove. I get a weekly e-mail newletter put out by Brian Livingston called Windows Secrets. This week they had an article on Symantec's Norton Internet Security and the fact that you cannot completely remove it with Windows Add/Remove and even the Norton Removal Tool leaves behind traces.

This is why some consider Norton as bad as the virus it is supposed to protect us from. And we have to pay for it! !http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

#16 User is offline   doublewitt 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the referral to the newsletter! Very good...

It might be true that all suites have their strong points and weaker points but it's also true that single apps have the same... on the other hand, suites have been developing over the years and weaker points are becoming stronger with time - just like single apps. So I guess, the point is, we should be constantly verifying developments in all of these. System Mechanic Pro has a removal tool that completely scans your entire system to find any traces of the software you desire to uninstall. I found that to be very efficient, although, I never had to remove Norton's software. Yes, everyone I know complains about Norton's biggy that swallows up system resources as they intrude deeply into your system.

Since developers are constantly working and developing their products, we have to constantly come back and verify. A software review yesterday might not necessarily reflect today's changes... so I guess that keeps us busy! Sometimes I feel as if I'm working as much as them. ;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users