PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: eMachine Will Not Get Past Initial Boot Sequence - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

eMachine Will Not Get Past Initial Boot Sequence

#1 User is offline   b0r1qua 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:34 PM

Here is how everything starts. According with Norton to do a good scan to my computer I have to restart my computer in safe mode and the gave my some instructions on how to do it so I just did this; Click start, Run and type msconfig and click run- System Configuration came up and this is where I made the mistake. I click on the BOOT.INI tab and them selected SAFEBOOT, apply and ok and then I restart my computer. The computer will start booting e logo will come up then the Windows logo will come up and I can hear the HD noise without going forward for about 15-20 sec and then it shut the computer down start doing the same thing over and over again with coming up to my desk top. I have try F5, F10 other computers restore disk and I can't get the computer to come up.

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:55 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. I have an eMachines T5212. First, in order to get into safe mode, when you hit the power button, at the big e screen, start tapping the F8 key and that will bring up the screen and you select boot in safe mode. If you can get to your desktop that way, then do the same thing you did before and reverse it. It may give you the option for a normal boot this time. If that doesn't work, come on back and please give us the specs on your computer include which operating system you are running. coastie65

#3 User is offline   b0r1qua 

• Pip

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

I already try F8 and does not work.

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:15 PM

Hi b0r1qua, First, they told you wrong and now we have a problem. Second, There is a good "FREE" anti virus program out there called AVG. That having been said, Do you have your restore disk? If you do you will probably have to use it. Turn on the computer and and open the tray for your disk and put in the restore disk. On restart it should default to the the disk, and you should be able to continue. You can probably do a nondestructive restore and that should put it right and you won't lose any files. If this in fact works, I would recommend getting rid of Norton and getting AVG. Before you do this, I need to know the model number of your eMachines. coastie65

#5 User is offline   b0r1qua 

• Pip

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

Model C2782

#6 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:53 PM

Hi b0r1qua, OK, I took a look at the specs on your computer. It seems to be a little older than this one. I'm not exactly sure, but you might want to try and remove the battery on the MoBo and wait a minute or two then put it back in. This will reset the BioS and hopefully the boot as well. coastie65

#7 User is offline   Tunz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

If your computer won't boot because your boot.ini file is borked, download this image of an XP boot CD
Unzip the file and open the resulting folder.
To burn this image to CD, simply place a CDR in your CD burner and double click the file burn-iso.bat.
To boot from the resulting CD, make sure that the BIOS is set to boot from CD before HDD.
When it boots into Windows, you can then copy NTLDR, NTDETECT or BOOT.INI from the tunzafiles folder on the CD to the C: directory overwriting whichever file is said to be missing or corrupt. (In this case you should only need the BOOT.INI file.) You should now be able to boot normally into Windows. Be sure to read the readme.txt file. It is a short note but worth reading.

#8 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:31 AM

Hi tunz, As near as I can tell, he can't get to his bios in order to boot from CD. He said he couldn't even get into safe mode. I don't know what thosethose idiots at symantec told him, but it was totally wrong. coastie65

#9 User is offline   Tunz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:30 AM

Hi Coastie,

From what he is saying, "The computer will start booting e logo will come up then the Windows logo will come up", it would appear that he has cleared post and the MBR has handed off to NTLDR. The Windows logo is part of the operating system. This should give him ample opportunity to get into BIOS Setup.

If he has checked /SAFEBOOT on the BOOT.INI tab in MSCONFIG, then the machine should indeed, have booted directly into Safe Mode without having to use F8. This makes me think that something else is afoot here. Why was he contacting Symantec support in the first place?

b0r1qua,

What was it that you were trying to fix by running the anti-virus in Safe Mode? Was this just a casual scan? Have you written and run that XPbootCD? To enter BIOS Setup on that eMachine, start tapping the Del key immediately after Startup until you either see the text-based Setup or it starts beeping back at you. (It sometimes does that just to tell you that it got the message.)

#10 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:40 PM

Hi tunz, Yeah that is an older machine. This one ( T5212 ) use the standard F8 approach to getting into safe mode. My other emachines ( T2824 ) used the DEL approach. That is probably why he said he couldn't get into safe mode using the F8 key. Went right over my head. Good that you jumped in here when you did. No point in doing a full destructive restore if it isn't necessary, although a non destructive restore may work if necessary. For the moment your suggestions seem to be the best way to go. Also, I think he was trying to do a virus scan in safe mode, but either misunderstood want they said at symantec, or symantec told him or her wrong. It is probably better to scan in safe mode for sure, and I sometimes do. I think your post should help them out. coastie65

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users