PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Emachine won't boot or can't get into safe mode/ - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Emachine won't boot or can't get into safe mode/

#1 User is offline   lilly 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:24 PM

I have an emachine model T6522.I have had it for 2 years. I was asking question from somone elses spot and I was told to start a new discussion so

some of you might have given suggestions already. I try to get into safe mode and the machine just rev's up and restarts. I can use

a cd but my recovery disc I made when I got the computer doesn't seem to work it's not doing anything. I trying a different computer plug

and took it off my surge protector and that didn't work either. I don't want to have to reformat the whole computer I have a lot of stuff

on it that I ddin't back up. ggrrrrr stupid of me. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:58 PM

Hi lilly, As you'll notice at the bottom of this post I too have an eMachines that I bought in Late Oct '06. First, you may have a Power Supply going bad, as emachines is famous for that. From looking at the specs on your computer, I think you have the same Power supply that I took out of this one, as eMachines only has two, 250w and 300w, and I would guess that yours is a 300w. The reason I took the one out here was I wanted a bigger PS so I put in a 500w PS. If you have the restore disk that came with it, you may be able to do a Non Destructive recovery, meaning you won't lose your stuff. I forgot what you said in the other thread. Does your computer start to boot then shut down then you have to restart ? coastie65

#3 User is offline   lilly 

• PipPip

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:56 AM

Good Morning, It starts up shows the e and then goes where it shows safe mode, etc then it rev's up and restarts by itself. I can't get into

the safe mode. I have a recovery disc that I created when I got the computer but it does nothing. Don't know if I did it right. I never

got a restore disk with the computer when I bought it. If it's the power supply inside I will have to bring it someplace to be fixed I think that is

above my computer knowledge.

#4 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:06 AM

Hi Lilly. The fact that the computer restarts itself at the same point each and every time would, for at least the moment, lead me away from the Power Supply. If the Power Supply was dying, the computer would restart at random intervals. There are typically two sections of a successful startup.

# From the initial boot to the Windows XP splash screen (Also known as the POST - Power On Self Test). If the computer does not make it past this point, the issue is within your BIOS or a hardware issue. Power Supply would be part of this section but again, the restarts occur at the same place each time.
# From the Windows XP splash screen to the Desktop. If the computer does not make it past this point, the issue is within the Operating System.

I have some questions for you:

- Have you attempted any of the other options except Safe Mode?

- Do you hear any beeps or get any error messages during this process?

- During normal operation, do you ever see the Windows XP splash screen?

- Have you recently installed any new hardware or connected any USB devices?

- Have you, or anyone else, been inside the computer to verify that all wire connections are secure and all the fans are spinning?

#5 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:22 AM

Hi mph, I was going to ask her about the normal boot sequence and how far it got before shut down, But seeing as how you really don't sleep you already did, :^0 coastie

#6 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:31 AM

LOL Hi Coastie. I get plenty of sleep, thank you very much. :D

#7 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:36 AM

Hi mph, If it were the the PSU, I'd be more than happy to send her the one that came out of here as I am pretty sure it's the same one. I Changed it out after about 4 mos. for a bigger one. coastie

#8 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:45 AM

That would be very nice of you. It may end up being a Power Supply issue. Let's see how it plays out.

#9 User is offline   lilly 

• PipPip

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:43 PM

Yes, I have restart normally, safe mode with command prompt,restart with last good configuarion.

no errors

no beeps

i see XP window when I try to start normally I see 1 or 2 blue bars then it rev's up and reboots

I don't know my son was on it but I do remember getting a message to reboot the computer. which I kept telling it later.

then we shut down for the night and the next day it would not start.

We opened it up to make sure the fans were working and blew out the dust. didn't notice any lose wires? (someone said make sure we were not over heating)

I don't have an XP boot up disc but a friend has one and said to try that? I haven't seen them maybe tomorrow?

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

#10 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:31 PM

Hi lilly. If you got a message in a dialog box to reboot the computer, That usually follows an installation of some software, not all cases but some. It will give you two options, to restart now or restart later. Is this the kind of message you are talking about? I am sort of thinking power supply, but I'm not convinced. Do you still have the eMachines Restore disk that came with your computer? I'm only asking just in case, I'm not thinking we will have to use it. The " Blue Bars" you are talking about, I'm guessing are the blue things that run across underneath the windows logo on boot. If it shuts down and reboots after it only runs across twice, then it isn't making it past post. I don't think you have an overheating problem as you said you checked the fans and they were running. I'll tell you this, if it is determined that it is the Power supply, I have one here that came out of this eMachines after about 4 Mos. as I put a bigger one in here. It is just taking up space in my closet, and I'm pretty sure it is the same power supply and you are welcome to it. Mph, will probably be checking in on this as well, and will probably have some more questions as I know there are some questions I probably haven't asked. Also Power supplys aren't that hard to replace, but we'll cross that bridge when and if we get to it. coastie65

#11 User is offline   VladTheImpaler1990 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

Hey Lil and welcome to Pc world,

Ok firstly the guys do not think the problem is a power supply i beg to differ, i make this statement as every time the computer starts to use more processing power then it will shut down i understand that Mph said that it will not always be in the same place but i beleive its not actually in the same place yes it has to bars but i beleive that at that point it is using more power to start up with so this means that it will put more strain on your power supply then it shuts down so i recommend that you must change your power supply.

Vlad

#12 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:16 AM

lilly said:

i see XP window when I try to start normally I see 1 or 2 blue bars then it rev's up and reboots

Coastie65 said:

The " Blue Bars" you are talking about, I'm guessing are the blue things that run across underneath the windows logo on boot.

>
>

VladTheImpaler1990 said:

...put more strain on your power supply then it shuts down...

>
>

Hi All. I quoted the common point of all three of your posts. Those of you who have been around this forum long enough know that I am a strong proponent of having a viable and reliable Power Supply. That being said, I am still not convinced this is a Power Supply issue.

Lilly, please correct me if I am wrong...in a normal situation, you push the power button, the computer starts its normal process. You see the big green e similar to this:

Posted Image

You then see the Windows XP splash screen, similar to this:

Posted Image

If this is correct, the e splash screen is where the POST is taken place. Once your computer reaches the Windows XP screen, POST was successful. If your computer restarts itself within the Windows XP splash screen, no matter how many bars you see, this is now an Operating System issue. Even though this may appear to be a Power Supply failure, it feels suspiciously like an Operating System failure.

You mentioned that you have had this computer for two years. Was this computer brand new in 2006? If so, eMachine may have installed what's called a Recovery Partition within your computer to enable you to restore your computer to an original state. If there may be a Recovery Partition within this computer, you would be prompted to hit F10 (or another function key) to begin the recovery process.

The Recovery Partition, as with a reinstallation of Windows, should be a last resort. If this computer does not have a Recovery Partition, your other option would be to contact eMachines and request the Windows XP CD associated with this computer. Once you get the Windows XP CD, you would use this CD to run several system scans to correct any Operating System errors that might exist. We can go over the specifics once you actually get the CD.

You also noted that a friend has an Windows XP boot CD. If this is the case, you can use this CD to run the system scans; however, it is extremely important that the version of Windows XP he or she has matches the version you have. If this is the case, when you get the CD, post back and we can walk you through some steps to try to repair the Operating System.

If the computer does not work properly after a full Operating System repair, then it is safer to assume the Power Supply is failing.

#13 User is offline   VladTheImpaler1990 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:04 AM

Hey Mph

Yes you have a point but most of the time it is a os error it will give the blue screen if i am not mistaken, why does it not give it here as it is a OS error?

#14 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:20 AM

Hi mph, Good work on that stuff. Actually it is a Big White e. I think she said she got her computer in Feb. '06, and I got this one in Late Oct '06. That having been said, they are somewhat Identical. Hers has an AMD processor. Both have a 200 Gb HDD. Mine was partitioned " C" NTFS and "H" FAT32. I converted the FAT32 files to NTFS, although in retrospect, I have had second thoughts about that, as I have since lost that partition. I believe, her computer came with XP MCE 2005 installed as mine did, so as you said, the friends OS MUST be XP MCE 2005, if she is going to try to do a repair. She also mentioned that after her son was finished , she noticed a ( I think) dialoge box, asking her to reboot ( Restart ?). That usually only occurs after certain updates/installations. coastie65

#15 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:31 AM

HI vlad, You would think so. The OS in this thing got totally screwed up last June due to a mishap and I never did get a blue screen. It was so bad, I had no choice but do a reformat and reload of everything. I did have some stuff backed up to CD but not all. coastie65

#16 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:57 AM

Hi Vlad. Not all Operating System errors or failures will be proceeded by the Blue Screen of Death. As Coastie said, that would make more sense, but it just doesn't work that way. A repair to Windows would be, at least for Lilly, easier than installing a new Power Supply.

Granted, a more technically inclined individual would not even think twice about switching out the Power Supply first; however, we have to look at this situation through the eyes of the person who has the problem. If we can help avoid a potentially costly trip to the computer repair store, we should investigate all avenues first.

#17 User is offline   lilly 

• PipPip

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:18 AM

Hello Everyone sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I have a heck of a time getting signed in here. My newphew hooked

up my hard drive to my other computer and I was able to save the stuff I had on my computer to my other one and I backed it up.

We then put the hard drive back in and tried starting it with the XP boot dics still would not work. We tried with our original boot

up discs and that would not work either. Last night my husband said what do we have to lose he wiped out everything and started it

all over. It worked it took our boot up discs and it's up and running. He was thinking we might need a new hard drive but this one

is working. Somewhere something went wrong heaven knows what. I want to thank you all for all you suggestions and help.

I do like this sight it's every interesting reading some of the stuff.

Thanks

#18 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:29 AM

Hi Lilly. I am glad you were able to resolve your situation. Since it appears everything is okay, please mark this Discussion as Answered and select the two (2) posts that you feel were "Helpful" and the post that you feel was "Correct."

#19 User is offline   lilly 

• PipPip

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:38 PM

Not sure what my problem was but really appreciate all the suggests I received from everyone.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users