PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Computer suddenly shuts off. Power supply Problem? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Computer suddenly shuts off. Power supply Problem?

#1 User is offline   pizzaisgood14 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:27 PM

About 3 weeks ago my computer, a hp slimline s7220n suddenly shut off. I pressed the power button and nothing happened at all. The second time i pressed it the power supply began to emit a awful smell and i think i even saw smoke come out of it. My first thought was it was obviosly the power supply. There is also a little green light on the back of the power supply and it shines green when power is connected. Everytime i pushed the power button the light shut off but could be relit by taking out the power cord and putting it back in. That same day my dad took it to a freind who just happens to repair computers. He says that he hasnt been able to find the part but i seem to have been able to find it.

http://h20141.www2.h...UM2QANS3HKA7FDF

The part number is 5188-2755

It seems strange that the person who reguraly fixes computers couldent find this part but i could in 5 minutes. Before i ask this guy for my computer back and order this part i just want to make sure this is in fact the part. Also when the computer suddenly shut off everything turned off except for the power lite on the fron of the case. Even though i belive the hard drive was even stopped the computer stilll took a good 5 seconds of holding the power button to make it shut off. Is this also a motherboard prblem. Ive read online that sometimes when a power supply goes the motherboard is taken with it. Is this something to worry about. For my computer it seems to be a big problem seeing my motherboard is so rare. Thank you for any help.
The part number is 5188-2755

#2 User is offline   snorg 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

Take the case off and blow off all the dust with compressed air, or use a vacuum cleaner as a blower.

The power supply scenario you described is normal, to restart switch off power on your power bar or unplug PC from wall plugin.
Then restore power and push power button on PC.

ALSO the little green light on the back of the power supply takes time to go out because there is still some power in the capacitors in the power supply, when the capacitors power drains away only then does the green light go out.

If cleaning off dust does not help, since power supply is only 108 Watts you might want to put in a 250 or 350 watt power supply.
The 108 watt power supply may be overworked causing it to shut down.

#3 User is offline   pizzaisgood14 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

I dont think that cleaning the dust out of the power supply seeing that its a broken power supply ( saw smoke coming out of it). Also the green light goes out when i press the power button on the computer. In most computers this would be a easy fix but my power supply is different because my computer is a slim pc and the power supply is a completely different shape and size than in 95 percent of desktop computers. My main concern is if i have the right part. The part number is 5188-2755

#4 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

Hi Pizza. The information provided within the links you presented seem very vague. I would assume that the "part" to which you refer is the actual Power Supply unit itself, correct?

Since your dad only took the computer to a friend, why not contact HP directly and verify within them whether or not this is the correct part?

#5 User is offline   snorg 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:40 PM

Hi Pizza
Googling 5188-2755 gets these links to 108-WATT power supply.

This link shows the power supply.

So yes, the part number 5188-2755 is the correct part number for the power supply.

You should contact HP for a bigger power supply.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users