PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Blinking HDTV when connected to my Vista pc (DVI to HDMI) - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blinking HDTV when connected to my Vista pc (DVI to HDMI)

#1 User is offline   Savas 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

I have connected my Windows Vista PC (DVI output) to my (HDMI input) Philips HDTV (42PFL9732D/10) but i got a blinking TV screen.

Please help.

The PC found the TV throught NVIDIA (graphics card) control panel as FTV Philips and i have set it as a clone.

#2 User is offline   Evildave 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:48 AM

Does your HDTV support HDCP through its HDMI/DVI? Your video card as well?

If not both, Vista won't send out a signal. In case there's 'protected' content, you see. Gotta protect you from pirating screen captures of Office and such.

Did I mention Vista sucks? Probably once or twice....

#3 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:02 AM

You did not say how you converted the DVI to HDMI, so I will conjecture that you used a cable with DVI at on end and HDMI at the other. Since DVI has no sound, you may want to just get a cable with DVI to component (RGB) as most HD TV's also have component inputs as well. You still have to connect the audio separately no matter which you use.

To help any further we would need more information as to the make and model of the PC or if a desktop at least the make and model of the Video card.

#4 User is offline   Savas 

• Pip

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:53 AM

Thanks rgreen4 for your reply,

Yes i have a 15 ft cable dvi to hdmi, i run windows vista home premium, the make of my desktop is Quest with Intel Core2 Quad cpu Q6600 @2.4GHz 2.4GHz and a 2047 MB RAM. The Video card is GeForce 8400 GS with 1023 MB total memory.

My problem is not the sound, is that when i conect the PC to the TV i got the the computer image only for a few seconds on the TV screen then it disappears for a few seconds and it appears again. The Time of the blinks varies from 3 seconds to 25 seconds. When the image appears on the TV screen sometimes the picture is excellent and sometimes has a green shadow.

I don't know if the cause of the problem is the PC the TV or the maybe the cable.

If you have any idea what causes this problem please advise how to solve it.

Thanks for your time.

#5 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

Savas said:

Thanks rgreen4 for your reply,

Yes i have a 15 ft cable dvi to hdmi, i run windows vista home premium, the make of my desktop is Quest with Intel Core2 Quad cpu Q6600 @2.4GHz 2.4GHz and a 2047 MB RAM. The Video card is GeForce 8400 GS with 1023 MB total memory.

My problem is not the sound, is that when i conect the PC to the TV i got the the computer image only for a few seconds on the TV screen then it disappears for a few seconds and it appears again. The Time of the blinks varies from 3 seconds to 25 seconds. When the image appears on the TV screen sometimes the picture is excellent and sometimes has a green shadow.

I don't know if the cause of the problem is the PC the TV or the maybe the cable.

If you have any idea what causes this problem please advise how to solve it.

Thanks for your time.

Is the DVI connector a DVI-A (analog), DVI-D (digital) or DVI-I (integrated...both digital and analog)? Is it a dual link or single link? I don't know for sure if any of that would matter, but it could. I would say you want it to be either a DVI-D or DVI-I connector. I don't know know if a DVI-A connector would cause the problem you are seeing or not.

The other possibility is HDCP as [~105699] mentioned, but I kind of doubt it...if it was HDCP causing the problem, then I would think you would get no picture at all, not intermitent pictures.

What resolution and refresh rate do you have the video card set to "broadcast" at?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users