• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

Post your comments for Rants Begin Against Grand Theft Auto IV here

#2 User is offline   rotinknee2 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:39 PM

It's just a game folks.Proper parenting is our nations problems not games.

#3 User is offline   inCountry2Long 

• Pip

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:21 PM

The hypocrites want to shutdown a game because it's too violent, it teaches our children to kill, blah, blah, blah. Yet these are the same anal sphincters that are so damn gung-ho about sending our young men and women to kill and be killed in Iraq. I think they are desperately in need of a reality check.

#4 User is offline   BloombergSucks 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:00 AM

I find it hypocritical that they want to ban a video game claiming that it promotes violence and in any Wal-Mart live ammo is sold without any form of control. All the activists and mothers and Bloomberg say nothing. WAKE UP PEOPLE! Guns and ammo kill people, not videos games. We are all humans and by nature may feel aggression from time to time. video games are a non-violent way to vent out aggression and have fun on the way. Boxing is more violent than GTA because its not fictional. If your kid can't understand that drunk driving is wrong and reckless than you have raised him wrong; blaming it on a game doesn't relieve parents' accountability for their kids actions. What's next? baning movies? And a word to Mr. Bloomberg-fix the subway, reduce taxes, do something else than tell people how to live. You are there to serve us no to control us. You would never dare take on the Walton family for selling ammo because they are worth $120BB. I wonder how many people were killed from ammo bought at discount retailes.

#5 User is offline   imkain 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:28 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with everyone here. What gets me is why are these groups, these politicians wasting valuable resources to attack video games and media in general. Shouldn't they understand that parents have to be held accountable for the raising of their own children without the government's involvement. This is more likely just a political stunt by all parties involved since a video game is getting more press time than them, and "OH MY that can't happen." is the phrase that these disgraceful groups say about it. They need to understand that blaming everything but the parents of the child is unintelligent since parents are responsible for their child's actions. Such as if a child holds a birthday party and alcohol is involved, if someone leaves the party drunk and dies it is the fault of the parents and child...not the alcohol, not the liquor store who sold the alcohol to the parent, and not a video game where someone supposedly saw it there. My two cents on the matter.

#6 User is offline   gkal1964 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:42 AM

Get a life, Its only a game. Do you want to ban movies like No country for old men because of the violence? No. Reality check time, if you don't like it don't play it and carry on with your life and stay out of ours.

#7 User is online   jordanlund 

• PipPip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:04 AM

First off... With all due respect to MADD, drunk driving is only a violent crime if someone gets hit and injured or killed. If nobody gets hurt it's simply a traffic infraction.
Second, the Grand Theft Auto series began in 1997. Since then the rate of violent crime per 100,000 US citizens has DROPPED 22.5%.
Crime rate stats 1960 - 2006 here:
http://www.disasterc...ime/uscrime.htm

#8 User is offline   mlangdon 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:07 AM

So, Justice Scablia can say that torture is ok because although cruel and unusual it is not punishment and no one says anything about. This is a real Justice talking about real people being tortured and all MADD can talk about is pretend drunk driving. Good job Moms.

#9 User is offline   Roadkill 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:55 AM

I really don't believe that this game cuases violence.I think its just poor parenting.Every knows the history behind this game if you don't approve of your child playing it then don't let them.Don't try to ban this game cause your child it to stupid to know whats the difference between right and wrong, and mess this up for everyone to play the game that is responsible.

#10 User is offline   ricmetal 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:58 AM

Playing GTA is an option. Just like MADD has the option to protest, violent video game players have the right to play games and 'protest' in their own way, being virtually, non-socially-accepted oriented.
More so, violence is a feeling every person has, it is not 'created' by a video game.

#11 User is offline   FredFlintstone 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:06 AM

does anyone but the lowest 1/3 of the population even listen to groups like MADD anymore?

#12 User is offline   Toshalot 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:28 AM

Hello, I have GTA4. It is a fun and in my case a stress relieving game. If they ban it, it will cause a serious problem for Sony, Microsoft, and RockStar considering Sony and Microsoft will drop their internet capabilities for the game. Will we receive a refund? Will Sony and Microsoft receive their money back for licensing? How many people will get laid off at RockStar? This is crazy and everyone knows it. The MADD group needs to understand yes its a choice but other games insert the idea of violent crimes too. CoD4 inserts the idea of killing terrorists is a "good" thing when in reality they are humans like us fighting for their cause and beliefs. The game will not get shutdown because it is the nations #1 game of the year in sales. 600,000 copies the first day... Blew Halo3 out of the water!

Edited by MPHEnterprises - Please do not post your personal information within the forums for your own security and privacy.

#13 User is offline   Atala 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:42 AM

If we are to start banning certain games because it allows the player to perform actions other people may find unsavory (regardless of the fact that it has a Mature rating), then I propose that we also ban any and all movies that I object to. I object to the vast majority of Disney films because they feature only one parent (or one dies violently during the film). I propose banning all sales of Comic Books. I propose cessation of all television and radio signals, since the shows aird on TV and the music/talk feature glorify violence and drug use, as well as the repression of women and minorities. I propose banning the Bible especially, since it is the most violent and repugnant collection of stories ever written. Very few mass-media works are nearly as bloody and depraved as the Bible. If we are to start banning video games, in part or in full, because it opffers something someone may object to, then it is our moral obligation to ban everything that anyone may object to.

#14 User is offline   pcbuff56 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:54 AM

The real problem is the sick attitude so many kids and adults have: they like to fantasize about killing people. What is so great about that? Why spend endless hours in front of the computer, simulating murdering people, when you could do something positive in real life?

#15 User is offline   obgow 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:32 AM

More Political Grandstanding. It seems like the majority of people posting comments are against censorship so how are these people getting elected to office? We must vote not to reelect these nazi politicians into office.

#16 User is offline   ricmetal 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:22 AM

peple that feel great simulating killing people aren't on that happy merry-go-round of 'doing something positive with their life' wouldnt u think? If people 'fantasize' about killing people there's probably something pissing them off - thats what vilence is for - to relief ourselves from being pissed off, when conversation does not exist - and violent video games do just that, relief ourselves from anger. if we are responsible people and understand the consequences in real life about killing, the game is a great way to express violence.
techonogy is not a good thing for humans, yet we still use it. MADD have nothing better to do with their lifes and pick on stupid subjects like this, so they can releif themselves from their anger/frustration also.

hypochrisy

my 2 cents

#17 User is offline   BloombergSucks 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:39 AM

If you use the term "kill the turtle" or kill Bowser", you can argue that Mario Bros. is violent. So where does it ends. The game is not about being killing people. It is about the romantic ora of being an aoutlaw. Why movies like Scareface, Good Fellas, Terminator, even Star Trek have such following and collective positive attidute towards them if they are movies about with a lot of violence in them? They are more wide spread than GTA. Who are you to judge what's in my head? Only actions can be judged. If a person cannot comprehand that there is a difference between the real world and fantasy and the concept of good and bad have different remificatios in those worlds than I am afriad that that person is not fit for soceity and his upbrining is to blame.

#18 User is offline   pOpS 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:23 AM

I really don't get why all these so called adults keep referring to "kids" this game clearly hit the shelves with a "M" rating .I won't be buying this game for my kids just like I wouldn't buy them cigarettes.Which also has a age restriction.Maybe all the authorities that are against it should police the parents that buy these rated "Mature" titles for their kids ,and allow us that are of age to enjoy this GAME for what it is,a game.

#19 User is offline   iMotionsrt4 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:42 AM

Look, drunk driving is no joke, and I know that. And I also enjoy the freedoms we have in America to say and do what we want. The fact that MADD is wanting to pull the shelves is their deal. But I wish people would realize that these games are designed for ADULTS and to keep saying it teaches "kids" bad things, and they shouldn't be seeing it is rediculous. No kid under 18 should have this game. Thus the reason for the rating. This all boils down to personal responsibility which is a thing of the past in America. Parents are responsible for providing this to their "kids". If you have a child under 18, you wouldn't buy them smokes, you wouldn't buy them liquor, amoung many other things that come with age. Also if you don't like it, don't buy it. I don't like green cars, so I don't buy green cars. I don't like carrots, so I don't buy carrots. I don't like certain beers, so I don't buy them. Just that simple. I'm not out there trying to tell people not to buy green cars, or creating a petition to get all green cars pulled from dealers. Get over it. Everybody isn't going to like the same things, but because you don't like it doesn't mean you should take it away from others that do. If I want to shoot a bear and make love to my wife on it in the woods, I can do that...this is America.

Lastly, why is it usually Grand Theft Auto games that bring all the protesters out of the woodwork? These are games and some people, like those at MADD just don't see that. Where are the war verterans protesting Call of Duty 4? NOWHERE BECAUSE THEY KNOW IT'S A GAME. Where are the protesters for the Need for Speed games that encourage speeding/racing and in some games running from the cops? NOWHERE BECAUSE THEY KNOW IT'S A GAME.

Ohhh and where are the Fathers Against Drunk Driving (FADD)? Probably at home letting their women complain so they can stay home and play GTAIV

#20 User is offline   RNR19952 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

FYI people kill people, guns and ammo are inanimate objects, and they just sit there....

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users