PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Setup cannot copy files error during Win XP install - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Setup cannot copy files error during Win XP install

#1 User is offline   JRAR78 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

Dell Dimension 4600C - Intel Pentium 4 (2.8 GHZ) - 512 Memory - Western Digital 40GB HD (cable select) . I used the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tool Disk to erase and format HD. I reboot with Windows XP (Service Pk. 2) disk. Win. setup loading files works good. F8 I agree. setup on selected partiton C: Partiton1(DRV1_VOL1) [NTFS] 38146 MB. Windows setup will start coping files then the errors start. Example - Setup cannot copy files : cdaudio.sys Retry Press ENTER, Skip Press ESC, Quit Setup Press F3. If it skip it will show another error - Setup cannot copy files : atmunisys, ext ext ext. After I skip 10 or more errors it will stop loading and I need t start over. I tried 2 Windows disks Serv 1 and Serv. 2 and they both do the same thing . Everytime I try the errors change . Ive tried everything I can and am about to give up . Does anyone know what the problem could be ? PLEASE HELP ! P.S. Both disks are new with no scratches ... I spent around 8 hrs checking everything in the PC and everything works right. I tried installing 5-6 times with both Windows disk and still the same errors.

#2 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:38 AM

JRAR78 - Welcome to the Community. Sometimes when the forums get busy, a post can slide off the first page in a matter of hours and then kind of gets lost. You had a good thorough well documented post, and some may have seen you had already tried their suggestions. But I will take a couple of shots at this.

I think you have eliminated the possibility of a Windows Disc error, which probably only leaves the HD. You reformatted with the Data Lifeguard Tools by WD, I am going to assume that no errors were reported.

You might try reformatting the drive when you try installing XP, if that does not work, then try another HD. They do go bad over time. You might also try downloading Memtest86+ either the ISO to create a CD or the .zip file that creates a bootable floppy. It wouldn't hurt to test the memory, if there is a bad element in the memory, it could be corrupting some of the data flowing from the CD to the HD.

The last possibility is if the CD ROM is having some issues and corrupting the data as it reads from the disc. If you feel the HD is good and memtest gives your memory a passing grade, then either swap in another optical drive or swap the HD into another machine and try to install XP from one of the two discs you previously have used.

If memtest indicates a problem with one of two modules, you can remove one (assuming the second is at least 256MB) and install XP and see if it works. It would be slow, but a good test. Then later after you have acquired a replacement module, you can install it, but XP would not have to be reinstalled.

#3 User is offline   webgomer 

• PipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

[~151938] Since there has been no response, I will take a stab at it.
I have run into this situation myself and my only remedy was a clean install on a new hard drive. You may try a full format (not the "quick format") of the current drive before purchasing a new one. Remember, a full format completely wipes the drive!

I was going to suggest that you try another optical drive too, and make sure it is not a read problem; I don't think that is the issue though. I believe you may have some bad sectors on the current drive that is preventing the copy of the files and why the problem files seem to be random every time.

Keep us posted.

#4 User is offline   JRAR78 

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:35 PM

rgreen4 - I tried 3 different HD's and they all did the same thing. When I tried installing Win XP without using W.D. Data Lifeguard Tools Windows gave me this ERROR - Setup was unable to format the partition: The disk may be damaged. I know this isnt right because one of the HD's is new. I tried a the Dell Diagnostics Test (CtrlAltD at Dell Logo) and it said everything was fine ... NO Errors. I even deleted/formated/partiton HD with Fdisk and it gave me same The disk may be damaged error. I will download and try Memtest86+ and see if it works tomarrow. I'll post if anything changes.I cant try a different CD Rom unless I buy a new one online because Best Buy/Circiut City in my area dont have one because it is a very flat and thin CD rom made for the DELL 4600C (its a thin tower). I might have some memory around somewhere I can try changing it before running the Memtest program. Wish me luck ! If your ideas work I'll give you your credit ! Thanks, James

#5 User is offline   JRAR78 

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

webgomer - I tried both quick and full formats with 4 HD's (1 was new) and still the same thing. Sorry I forgot to list it in my original post. I will try to find a new CD rom online (see above post) Thanks, James

#6 User is offline   webgomer 

• PipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:45 PM

Just a thought... have you tried changing HD cable? Make sure the cable is seated well also. Sometimes it is the easiest things that bite us.

#7 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:05 PM

JRAR - before you spend money on a new CD, lets try a few other things. Since that CD is a very special formated one, it is unlikely to have other applications and be expensive to boot.

You can do a quick but not totally definitive memory test if you have two modules, by removing one and if everything works, you have found the problem. If it does not change, replace the first, remove the second and try again.

If you have access to a standard CD, you can connect it by laying it outside the case with the power cord and IDE cable going back in to the connectors. I have done this from time to time with various devices (usually hard drives), a CD will be safer than a HD as the electronics are not exposed as those of a HD are.

I think it is fairly obvious to all that we are working with a hardware problem, and it is unlikely the HD or the intstall CD's.

Back to your first post, what was the reason you reformatted and tried to reinstall XP?

#8 User is offline   JRAR78 

• Pip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

rgreen4 - Thanks it was the memory and I gave you credit for the right answer !

#9 User is offline   JRAR78 

• Pip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

webgomer - Thanks I gave you credit for a helpful answer !

#10 User is offline   webgomer 

• PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:58 PM

Thanks... Glad you were able to sort out the issue. Gotta love technology - until it fails.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users