• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cat6 running 600ft

#1 User is offline   jatin4882 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:59 AM

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for your help in advance! Here is my problem, I'm building a new office, and my networking guy laid down an underground cat6 cable for around 600 ft, once that was done, I found out that the recommended distance for a cat6 cable shouldn't even be 300ft. So I'm stuck!

Is there a way I can attach something two the two ends to boost signal? Would attaching switches (since they act as repeaters), help solve the problem? Are there any network amplifiers that people use?

Thanks for your help!

Jatin

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

Hi jatin and welcome to the forum. I'm not exactly sure of where the the CAT6 cable is run from. The fiber connection to my house is 600 Ft from the house to the hub on the main line. I believe it is then a white cat 5e to my router the yellow cat5 from my router to the ethernet port on my computer. If it is copper, then there may well be an issue with the distance, but it is Fiber Optics, then there shouldn't be a problem. I remember that with the coax cables for TV, you could get an inline signal booster, that plugged into a wall outlet, as the signal would indeed fade over distance. coastie65

#3 User is offline   jatin4882 

• Pip

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:30 AM

Hi Coastie,

Thanks for the help. I think my cable is not a fiber run cable, it is indeed copper. My network guy (who I don't trust too much), is telling me that there is an amplifier he can put at one end (something that DLink offers). But as far as my understanding goes (and it is really limited), switches act as repeaters, so wouldnt two switches at both ends work?

My setup right now, would have a server one one end (connected to a switch), and the other end will have about 8-10 nodes communicating with the server. I have a small ERP that I'll be running on the server.

Thanks,

Jatin

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:44 AM

Hi jatin, indeed the switches would act as repeaters, but not necessarily amplify the signal, and with that much cable, you would probably want to add a signal amplifier to insure against the possiblity of signal degredation over that distance. coastie65

#5 User is offline   jatin4882 

• Pip

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, that kinda makes sense! Do you know any Cat6 signal boosters that can boost the signal over such a long range? It sucks that I can't cut the cable in the middle and attach a switch there! UGH.

#6 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:56 AM

Hi jatin, you might try this: www.solidsignal.com/cat/display.asp?maincat=13&catAmplifiers coastie65

#7 User is offline   jatin4882 

• Pip

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

Thanks a bunch! I'll see if I can get my hands on this and try to solve this issue!

#8 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:07 AM

Hi, You can also look aroun at amazon.com as they do have amplifiers, but I'm not sure if the application fits or not. coastie

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users