PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: WindowsXP shutting down, blue screen and then recover from serious error! - PCWorld Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WindowsXP shutting down, blue screen and then recover from serious error!

#1 User is offline   Jammer09 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

Heilsa! I am in need of some help. First let me say that it is good to be hear again to hear from some of you but not under these conditions. I installed a couple new software programs and after the install of the second one my PC an HP, WindowsXp home edition SP3 started to shut down just after booting and giving me a blue screen with a fatal error shutdown message saying this IRQLNOTLESSOREQUAL then under that it had Stop: 0x0000000AQ(X00000000, 0x00000002, 0X00000000, 0X804FT77FO) Then at the bottom it says it did a physical memory dump. That is not the only one it also does the same thing but gives this message same blue screen PAGEFAULTINNONPAGEDAREA then the rest just like the other one. I uninstalled both of the new software programs to no avail. It still does it. Not all the time. Quite often though. When I reboot from one of these situations it gives me a recovered from fatal error and sends a fatal error message to microsoft. They say that it is due to resent change in the hardware specifically drivers or software programs installed. They recommend uninstalling the new software and doing a system restore. I did that and did the system restore once and thought it worked but it did has done the shutdown and fatal error a couple more times since. Then someone recommended I do a JKDefrag and did and then I tried to do another system restore, after it did the shutdown fatal error again and it won't let me even system restore now. I just did a virus scan with McAfee and it didn't find anything. I really need to figure this one out. I really do not want to have to format the drives on this machine, I will loose a lot of programs and stuff I can't replace, or do a system restore back to factory settings using the D: backup restore, if that is still possible. Anyway I would appreciate it if anyone can or would help in this matter!

#2 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:26 PM

Hey Jammer!!

Have you tried to do a restore in safe mode. There are less services and processes working .

maybe this will do the trick. Other than that I'm afraid I won't be much help.

One word of advice though. If you ever want to uninstall a program again , use

Revo Uninstaller . Learn how to use the

Hunter Mode.This will take away all of the registry keys that are occupied

by the program you want to uninstall.

FLASHORN.

#3 User is offline   Jammer09 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

Heilsa! I tried to system restore in safe mode it did the same thing. It went all the way through the motions and at the end it said it was not able to do the restore and did not change anything. I will check out that uninstaller too. Thanks I appreciate it!

#4 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:56 PM

Hey Jammer!!

Did you check to see if you still have a folder in the "Program Files" for the programs that you installed.

Looks like a bad driver. Check also the driver cache to see if you still have a driver for those programs.

Program Files : start , computer , c:drive , Program files.

Drivers : start , computer , c:drive , SWSeyup . Drivers

Let's keep trying .

FLASHORN.

PS> Download and run this Antirootkit Panda AntiRootKit
Message was edited by: Flashorn

#5 User is offline   Jammer09 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

Heilsa!

I can't find the SWSeyup . Drivers. I did a search for them too and came up with nothing. I am running XP? Also I do have several foders with files of programs that are long gone. And what is a antirootkit and what does it do exactly. I have loaded and ran things before recommended by people not knowing what they are and do exactly and have regretted it. So if you could explain to the best of your ability then I would greatly apreciate it.

Ves Heill!

#6 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:50 PM

Hey Jammer !!

Sorry , it was a typping mistake. it's "SWSetup"

A Antirootkit is a tool that we use to determine if you are infected with a "RootKit"

These are very bad malware .

I am trying to determine if you are or have malware of this type on your Hard Drive.

It is rare to have a RootKit but, why take the chance .

This particular AntiRootKit from Panda is the best out there and only takes a few minutes

to run,

I use this one as part of my regular maintenance on both my laptops.

So, to put your fears to rest , I too use it and I also use the one from

F-Secure called BlackLight .

You can read about BlackLight from the web site of F-Secure.

OK Jammer , I hope you will not fear the Antirootkit . It is very safe and

like I said , only takes a few minutes to run.

FLASHORN.

#7 User is offline   Jammer09 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:35 PM

Heilsa!

I have been busy with Memorial Day and all. I did a scan with Panda antirootkit and it came up with nothing and my McAfee does that type of scan too it is one of the first things it scans for is that and stealth programs too. I also ran the recommeded Panda free antivirus, trojan worm etc... online scan it came up with a couple of adware and a tacking application that I will post in another post I need to get to sleep in a little while. I can not find C: SWSetup.

Ves Heill!

#8 User is offline   Jammer09 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:47 AM

Heilsa!
First let me say that yes I have found that there are still some folders on this PC that pertain to the removed software. I cannot find a "SWsetup" anywhere on my PC. I even did a search for it, not there. Are you talking about "Windows drivers"? We need to see if those programs still have their drivers installed so they would be somewhere else wouldn't they. Where, if not in "SWsetup"? Also I did a Google search concerning my problem and more or less it is saying that something is trying to access memory it shouldn't due to either a faulty or corrupt driver or software. I am still reading up on the situation though. After I ran a scan with the Panda antirootkit and found nothing I did the free online scan with Panda's antivirus, trojan etc... application and it came up with these, of which it would not help with unless I bought their product, of course.

I don't think that these are my problem and they probably need to be dealt with in another thread in the appropriate section, but here they are and one is just a tracking cookie.

All of these were latent. Whatever that means.

1. Adware/exact

HKEYCLASSESROOTInterface{014DA6C4-189F-421A-88CD-07CFE51CFF103}

2. Application/Ki.... Tracking Application

C:hpbinKillit.exe

3. Adware/Webdir Adware (*This one I downloaded a long time ago as I needed some AVI codecs supposedly to play certain video formats)

C:DocumentsMineAVICodecPackPlus2.exe

4. Applicatio/Ki... Tracking Application

C:hpbinTerminator.exe

5. Cookie/Double C... Tracking Cookie

CDocuments and SettingsOwnerCookiesowner@doubleclick[1].txt

6. Application/my... Tracking Application

hkeyclassesrootCLISD{014da6c9-189t-y21a88cd-07cfe51cff107}

I wrote this down too for some reason don't remember why: HKEYLOCALMACHINESoftwareclassesCLISD{014da6c9-189t-y21a88cd-07cfe51cff107}

Ves Heill!

#9 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

Hey Jammer!!

Have you found a solution to this problem?

OK, I will show you screen shots of , where the SWSetup folder should be.

First : Go to Start.

Second : Control Panel.

Third : this is what you should see:

Click on your "local Disk 'C' "

then in the next view you should have the SWSetup folder along with

all of your other folders.

In this screen shot , the one that is highlighted is your SWSetup folder.

!05-29-200805-29-2008CropperCapture4].jpg!

In the SWSetup folder you should see all of your drivers .

There is also a folder named Drivers.

Check in that one to see if the bad driver is there.

Right click on the screen shot and choose to view picture

this will give you a clear view,

Let me know if you find it or not. You have to have one on your "local disk 'C' " drive.

Also have you scanned with [SUPERAntiSpyware

and see if this one finds any Trojans that might be causing trouble.

If you choose to install make sure to up-date the definitions before you

start scanning .

At the bottom left hand corner , you will see a up-date tab.

After this come back and let me know how it all went.

FLASHORN.

#10 User is offline   Jammer09 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:11 PM

Heilsa!
Flashorn, I do not have the folder you are asking for. Here is a screenshot of C:
Posted Image

Are you running Vista or XP? I am running XP!

I also did a scan with SuperAntiSpyware and it found nothing but some adware that it didn't even bother quarentining. I did some things today and rebooted this machine and it didn't give me the blue serious error screen today. But that doesn't mean a thing. I know it is because of one of those new software applications I installed. I don't have a drivers folder directly in C: either. There is a drivers cache in the windows folder. There is a driver folder in the HP folder of which is logical as this is an HP I am on. I had to unhide system and hidden folders to see the HP forlder. Are these the driver folders you are looking for

Posted Image

If so let me know what I am suppose to be looking for, drivers with the names of the programs I installed particularly the one that I think did it. I appreciate all the help, thank you!

Ves Heill!

#11 User is offline   Jammer09 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

Heilsa!

So what do I do with the folders that I have found of the uninstalled programs and where do I look for drivers that would be left by them?

Ves Heill!

#12 User is offline   Rabbit 

• PipPip

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:40 AM

Hey! I can identify with IRQLNOTLESSOREQUAL! I have been there three times since I took over managing this Medion MD5000 system after buying it off of the Office Depot demo shelf. I can put you on the right path quickly. Put your memory in total recall mode and come up with an answer to this question: Have you purchased a CD+RW drive in the past few weeks? I had a catastrophic drive failure when a CD-ROM disk exploded inside of the drive. I returned to the same Office Depot store and told the clerk about the drive and he reached in a cabinet and handed me a drive in the box and told me that I could have it for half-price. I should have been more careful because the box DID NOT have the required Windows XP LOGO it, and about two weeks after I replaced the drive I faced the very same STOP:Error. Replacement drives MUST have the Windows XP LOGO on the box! Additionally - I suffered two of the STOP:Errors because the driver for my nVidia MX440 GeForce Video Card was out-dated and the only download site was on a Medion Europe webpage. I have the complete ressurection archived if you would like a copy.

Rabbit

#13 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:40 AM

Rabbit said:

I should have been more careful because the box DID NOT have the required Windows XP LOGO it, and about two weeks after I replaced the drive I faced the very same STOP:Error. Replacement drives MUST have the Windows XP LOGO on the box!

To my knowledge, this is not true (i.e. must have the Windoze XP Logo). Typically, the Windoze XP Logo is really the "Designed to Windoze XP" designation, which means that the manufacture has paid Micro$oft a fee to presumably test their product, but more importantly "bless" the product. To my knowledge, it is NOT required, but it does indicate that it has been through some testing and thus should work with Windoze XP just fine. If the "Designed to Windoze XP" tag is NOT there, then it just means that Micro$oft has not blessed it, but it still can work with Windoze.

It is kind of like car parts. GM or Ford or Chrysler would like you to buy parts that they manufacture and sell. The implication is that they are better than third party parts because they presumably know their own cars that they design better. But, there are plenty of third party parts that work just fine...they just are not "blessed" by the car manufacturer.

While there is some value to the "Designed for Windoze XP" and "Certified for Windoze Vista" programs, there is also a "kickback" to Micro$oft component...i.e. it is at its heart a money revenue stream for Micro$oft first and foremost...just as the "Made for iPod" program is a revenue stream for Apple.

#14 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hey Jammer!!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

OK, apparently the SWsetup folder is for all computers and is a default driver folder.

I have also read that it would be for notebooks only. Might make sense because that is what I work on,

I have both XP SP2 and Vista SP1 . Both have the SWsetup folder with all of the drivers

for the installed programs on both my notebooks.

The "Program Folders" that are left over by the apps. that you have already removed should be deleted.

Check inside the folders if you see anything still in them but, delete them anyways.

Two things we can try next :

First , download CCleaner from here .

Run CCleaner but only with the "Broom Option" . Do not clean the Registry ,

there might be some files that you could not identify and delete the wrong ones.

This is what you will see and don't worry , this is a very safe cleaning tool,

most of us here use it.

OK, screen shot:

!http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

You can check mark what you want CCleaner to clean out and leave un-check the ones that you don't want

like if you have forms filled out with all of your info. and you would like to keep those well, un-check the

"Autocomplete Form History" . you should be able to understand the rest of the entries, like again the

"Recent Documents" , XP and Vista make a duplicate of everything that is written to your hard drive.

This just wastes allot of HDD space.

Anyways. if you have not Cleaned out your PC in a while well, there might be allot of junk that CCleaner will want you to delete

You can look over what it finds . You should also recognize most of those items from the name at the end of the entry.

BUT, only if you are comfortable with this procedure.

The second we should do a "ChkDsk".

This is a tool in XP and Vista to verify and repair, if need be, your HDD.

If it finds any bad sectors on your HDD , ChkDsk will attempt to repair the bad sectors.

This is also a safe procedure. I just finished one on my HP Compac notebook.

To get to the tool in question:

Start, next , My Computer , next , Right Click on your C ; Drive.

Click on "Properties", a pop-up window will appear.

On that pop-up click on "Tools"

The first item on that window will be "Error Checking"

On the right hand corner of error checking , you will see

Automatically fix file system error Put a check mark in the box.

Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors Put a check mark there too.

Then click on the Start Button.

You will be locked out of the PC until it is finished. This procedure will take quite a while.

{size:2px}Step One:
{size}
{font:Verdana}{size:2px}Open "My Computer", RIGHT click on
the C drive icon, choose "Properties".{size}{font}

{size:2px}Step Two:
{size}
{font:Verdana}{size:2px}When that loads, click on the
"Tools" tab, then click on the "Check Now" button in the "Error
Checking" section. {size}{font}

{size:2px}Step Three:
{size}
{font:Verdana}{size:2px}When that little window loads,
place a CHECK in BOTH boxes, then clic{color} Error Checking will run
automatically after the restart and it locks you out from doing
anything until it's finished. It takes a little time to perform
the task but after it's finished, it will restart into Windows
automatically.{size}{font}

Actually this might take a whole hour to finish but, you will see the progress on the screen. The screen will be a light blue.

Jammer , there seems to be a problem with forum.I cannot up-load certain images.

So, just follow the directions abd post back if you do not understand something.

OK, Jammer if you are willing , let's try these solutions and see what comes of them.

If you do not feel comfortable with either of these options, come back and tell me.

We will think of something else.

FLASHORN
Message was edited by: Flashorn

#15 User is offline   Jammer09 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:50 AM

Heilsa!
Well I know what ChkDsk is and have just executed and finished one recently. I try to run one atleast once a week! And defrag qutie often too. Before we go on I was going to post that it hasen't happened in awhile and before we did anything else I'd like to wait and see if it is going to again. BUT it did it again last night, so here we go. Another concern of mine is I have what is called System Machanic 4 installed on this machine already and it does most of if not the same things that that CCleaner does by looking at the screenshot you provided of it. My point is they might conflict and I regularly clean the stuff shown on the screenshot you have provided. Now CCleaner might do more and be safer as I do not mess with deleting duplicate files and or registry, (altering too), items etc... unless I know for sure what they are and I don't need them or can change them and it does what I so desire for sure. So what do you want cleaned exactly and what changes or what should I be looking for in the registry if anything? I really need specifics when dealing with cleaning, deleting and registry etc...

Ves Heill!

#16 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:07 PM

Hey Jammer!!

One question I haven't asked yet . DO YOU HAVE A "AMD" PROCESSOR?.

Is your PC a HP?.

You are aware that this combination does not work well with SP3/

Has these Blue Screens begun right after installing SP3 or before?.

It might also be that SP3 is not behaving with some part of the installation process

for certain programs.

OK , Jammer , this morning I did a quick search for System Mechanic 4 and I did not like what I found

I hope you did not pay for this program.

From what I read the previous version (3) was better at cleaning. Apparently this version is nothing more than

Window Dressing.Please read the reviews from people who used this version (4),

http://www.amazon.co...000AZVVO/ref=dptopcmcracr_txt/103-9854816-6229431?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 .

Also , would you mind downloading and installing RogueRemoverFree .

Just read and follow the instructions on the page. This is one of the sites that we send members with to much or hard to

remove maleware and viruses. The site is MalwareBytes.org . This is also the site that has their own malware scanner

named " MalwareBytesAnti-Malware " . This is a new specialized scanner that scans for infected dll.'s and registry keys.

It is also free but, you have to up-date every time you use it or on a daily basis. I have been using it for a little while

and I believe SpiritWind is also using it. Would be a good idea to have it in your tools folder.

Now, for CCleaner . I have cleaned my XP machine this morning with it and have taken screen shots of the

boxes I have checked. So , if you check the same boxes that I have , you can then do a scan first and verify

what CCleaner would like to delete. Then , if you are satisfied that what it wants to delete is safe to do so,

you can then , go ahead and delete the files. They should mostly be Temps, and Java , and Flash files.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING " PLZ " CREATE A RESTORE POINT.

Ok, now for the screen shots:

1!

This is the first tab in the Cleaning Option. These check marks are exactly the way I cleaned

MY XP machine this morning.

The next shot will show you the next tab with the check marks the way I did them.

1!

Ok, Jammer the next shot will show you what it found and what it wants to delete.

Posted Image

As you can see , before it deletes anything it will ask if you are sure you want to

delete those files. as you can see , the files I am deleting are Flash Temps and

other temps files which are safe to delete from your PC.

Ok, Jammer , If you are willing , that is the way we should continue.

If , for any reason you are not comfortable with any of this ,

post back and we will find another way.

Don't forget to answer my questions from the beginning of this post.

FLASHORN.

#17 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:41 PM

Flashorn said:

Hey Jammer!!

One question I haven't asked yet . DO YOU HAVE A "AMD" PROCESSOR?.

Is your PC a HP?.

You are aware that this combination does not work well with SP3/

Has these Blue Screens begun right after installing SP3 or before?.

Ummmmm...that was three questions, not one! ;)

Sorry...could not help myself...I will now shut off my smart a$$ mode...for the moment at least. :D

#18 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:10 PM

Hey smax!!

It's alright , have gotten used to it .

Puts a little spice in a otherwise very technical post.

But if you could jump in , I wouldn't mind that either.

FLASHORN

#19 User is offline   piyushsingh 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:12 PM

smax013 said:

Ummmmm...that was three questions, not one! ;)

Sorry...could not help myself...I will now shut off my smart a$$ mode...for the moment at least. :D

Hmmm.......

#20 User is offline   Jammer09 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:04 PM

Heilsa!

Flashorn, I have Everest on this machine and looked up the CPU and it said nothing about AMD. Actually, anywhere I looked I could not find anything aobut AMD. Is that the name or type of processor or what? Would Everest say if it is an AMD? Yes I do have an HP pavilion 514n actually it has an Intel Celeron, 2200 MHz (22x 100). Yes I just recently downloaded and installed the Sp3. Ok, now for my questions, number one if I use this cleaner that you are recommending do I need to uninstall System Mechanic 4. Will they conflict? I read the reviews on SM4 on the link you provided and yes it didn't sound good. And like I said the cleaner you recommended is probably safer. I did use SM4's defrag. on the old Sony Win98 and it messed things up and I had to do a system restore. So I have not used that feature anymore, especially on this machine. I just figured that it was that I didn't know how to use the feature correctly. What I use it for is to mainly clear history etc... and recover and defrag the RAM every now and then. Anyway, do I uninstall SM4 to install this other cleaner? It seems to clean more than the SM4 anyway looking at your screenshots of the settings for this program. Let me know either way. Ok, number two, this antimalware you want me to install or does it run an online scan? Anyway, do I have to disable anything when I run it or uninstall anything as I really want to keep my McAfee and I use AOL antispyware as that is my main email. What do I do either way. Does it run online scans or does it install on top of other programs and run without conflicts. Have been busy trying to help another friend of mine with her virus, trojan problems, working around the house and keeping up with 5 nieces and nephews. So if my responses are not that punctual I ask you to understand. Thank you for all of your help!

Ves Heill!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users