PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: HP Pavilion dv6000 Laptop Makes Clicking Sound After Manual Shutdown - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HP Pavilion dv6000 Laptop Makes Clicking Sound After Manual Shutdown

#1 User is offline   ZeroXWolf 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

Sometimes my HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop makes a clicking sound. There is no set interval. It just randomly happens. It started a couple of days ago when I was playing an online game and it crashed. I got an unresponsive blank screen. So, I manually turned it off by holding the power button. When I turned it back on, I heard a clicking sound. Now, I still hear that clicking sound. Should I be worried about this?

#2 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:35 AM

Hi ZeroXWolf and welcome to the PCWorld Communities. :D

First, I have changed your Discussion title to give a clearer indication of your question. For future reference, please be as descriptive as possible in both the heading of your Discussion as well as the post itself.

Now, we have a similar issue related to "sounds" coming from a computer within another Discussion. We need more information before we can begin to assist you:

- From where is the sound originated?

- I know you reference that there is no set interval, but is there some type of noticable pattern or something that you can describe to us in more detail?

- Does it only occur during start up?

- What troubleshooting steps have you tried prior to reaching out for assistance?

- What exactly gave you the unresponsive screen? (an application or Windows itself)

To answer your question: "Should I be worried about this?" Well, let me put it this way. If you are of driving age and your car started to make a clicking noise after you forced it to shut off, would you feel a need to worry? A computer is no exception. That manual (hard) restart is one of the main ways people inadvertently turn their computers into expensive paperweights.

Going forward, the safest way to evaluate a frozen system is to try and get into the Task Manager by holding the ctrlaltdelete keys at the same time. Once within the Task Manager, see what application or process is not responding and close that process manually. Now, if there is no hard drive activity, no cursor response when the mouse is moved, and no response when you attempt to access Task Manager, there is no other choice but to do a manual restart. However, I think we need to get to the route of the issue as to what caused the unresponsive screen in the first place.

#3 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:11 AM

ZeroXWolf said:

Sometimes my HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop makes a clicking sound. There is no set interval. It just randomly happens. It started a couple of days ago when I was playing an online game and it crashed. I got an unresponsive blank screen. So, I manually turned it off by holding the power button. When I turned it back on, I heard a clicking sound. Now, I still hear that clicking sound. Should I be worried about this?

While it might be other things, when people starting talking about a clicking sound, they are usually talking about a clicking sound from the hard drive. If that is true in your case as well, then that is usually a sign that the hard drive is about to go bad/is in the process of going bad.

In any case, clicking generally ain't good. My definite recommendation, do NOT use the computer too much UNLESS you have made a recent back. In otherwords, stop everything (why are you still reading this post? ;) ) and backup your data files NOW. And then we will go from there.

#4 User is offline   ZeroXWolf 

• Pip

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:41 AM

It sounds like the clicking is coming from the hard drive. I notice that it clicks when I lag in an online game. I updated the BIOS, but the clicking sound persists.

#5 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:10 AM

Hey ZeroXWolf!!

It sure does sound like a failing Hard Drive .

Have you done a Check Disk on your hard drive?

This will tell you if you have a bad sector and if it can,

the utility (ChkDsk) will fix errors found.

Here is a link where you can read about how to enable

this utility within Safe Mode :

ChkDsk Utility .

If you haven't done it yet , I would heed smax's advice and

back-up all of your files or at least the important ones

before the inevitable happens.

Meaning , your hard drive crashes and will not recover

from it.

So PLZ, back-up as soon as you can.

FLASHORN.

#6 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:14 AM

Hi Zero. As several members have speculated, your hard drive is failing. After you follow the suggestions provided by Flashorn, I would strongly advise you to back up all of your important data and look about getting another hard drive. The more you use this computer, the more likely the hard drive will crash.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users