Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Computer Does Not Recognize iPod

#1 User is offline   JeffreyOOOO 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

As far as my computer is concerned, my iPod no longer exists.

Last week, they stopped talking to each other.

iTunes runs fine. The iPod continued running fine until the battery ran down.

But there's no connection. When I plug the iPod in, it doesn't show up in iTunes devices. It doesn't show up in the "device manager" box in Windows. It won't recharge.

I've tried the usual fixes: reset iPod, reformat iPod, etc.. I've tried switching cables and using different USB ports. I've tried disabling the firewall. Other external devices work fine in usb. But my iPod just doesn't register.

It's a nano, 2 years old. The computer is a Dell running Windows XP. iTunes version is the latest: 7.6.2.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

Hi jeffrey and welcome to the forum. I am no authority on ipods, but if the charge is completely gone, then there is no way it can comunicate with the computer and conversely charge as the computer doesn't see it. If you don't have an auxillary dock I would suggest getting one to charge that thing. coastie65

#3 User is offline   lilxkid24 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

1. Quit iTunes.
2. Right click on My Computer and click Manage.
3. Click the plus symbol to the left of Services and Applications.
4. Select Services listed under Services and Applications.

6. Double click iPod Service in the right hand panel.
7. Click the Stop button under the General tab and leave the iPod Service Properties window open.
8. Connect your iPod and wait until it is visible in My Computer.
9. Click the Start button in the iPod Service Properties window.
10. Open iTunes.

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:57 PM

Hi lil, As I said, I'm no authority on ipod as I don't even own one. :D I'll just watch and see how things go as I offered all I could think of, which I guess isn't much. coastie

#5 User is offline   JeffreyOOOO 

• Pip

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I got a charger, but the iPod couldn't even make that connection - the charger LED is supposed to turn red when it's charging, but nothing happened when I plugged in the nano, and it hasn't recharged after several hours.

Obviously my nano is toast. Disappointing, as it's only about 18 months old. But at least I know.

Not impressed with the only Apple product I've ever owned. Maybe I'll got for a Zune next and see if the durability is any better.

Thanks again for the feedback.

#6 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

Hi Jeffrey, :D AS I said, I'm no authority on those things as I don't even own on. lilx checked in with some suggestions as well. He is one of our younger members and I suspect a resident expert on ipods. :D If the dock didn't work, then you may be right. If lilx is following this he may check in with something. coastie

#7 User is offline   technicallychallenged 

• Pip

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:42 AM

urg, mine is doing the same thing, though it still charges. its a second gen nano... i tried the 10 step process with stopping the ipod service and restarting it, i tried restarting my cp.... it hasn't changed anything :(. Itunes (latest version) runs fine... any more ideas?

#8 User is offline   mhester1 

• Pip

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:52 AM

I have the same issue. The FireWire part of the connection is working since it will charge in the iHome or thru a FireWire plug (bu not the USB). I think we're hosed. Gonna go to the Apple store and see if they'll give me a bigger discount for a refurb. Otherwise refurb thru buy.com is better and I can get an extended warranty thru squaretrade.com Mine was a 4gb 3rd gen nano was a refurb and this happened shortly after the warranty expired - argghhhhhhhhhh. Luckily with the sale that buy.com had at the time plus a coupon, my total cost on it was $75 delivered.

#9 User is offline   tommyv1283 

• Pip

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:54 AM

urg, mine is doing the
same thing, though it still charges. its a second gen nano... i tried
the 10 step process with stopping the ipod service and restarting it, i
tried restarting my cp.... it hasn't changed anything Posted Image. Itunes (latest version) runs fine... any more ideas?

I was having the same problems and found a strange solution to it. Mine's was charging but windows kept giving me the message "device has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it". I tried all of your solutions then I made one last desperate attempt. I didn't connect the ipod directly to the computer, I connected through a USB hub. Works perfect. I have no clue why. I am fairly privy to computers but it doesn't make a lot of sense. So try it and let me know if this works for you.

#10 User is offline   Sbroberg 

• Pip

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:21 PM

View Posttommyv1283, on 15 June 2009 - 01:54 AM, said:

urg, mine is doing the
same thing, though it still charges. its a second gen nano... i tried
the 10 step process with stopping the ipod service and restarting it, i
tried restarting my cp.... it hasn't changed anything Posted Image. Itunes (latest version) runs fine... any more ideas?

I was having the same problems and found a strange solution to it. Mine's was charging but windows kept giving me the message "device has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it". I tried all of your solutions then I made one last desperate attempt. I didn't connect the ipod directly to the computer, I connected through a USB hub. Works perfect. I have no clue why. I am fairly privy to computers but it doesn't make a lot of sense. So try it and let me know if this works for you.

What operating system were you running? I have seen this with WinXP Home and Pro running SP1 and SP2. Haven't made the jump to 3 on the CPU affected but will probably do that. Just curious more or less...

This post has been edited by Sbroberg: 15 October 2009 - 01:22 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users