• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:06 AM

Post your comments for 12 Things the 3G iPhone is Still Missing here

#2 User is offline   Dabbler 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

I would have thought a replaceable battery would have been top on the list. I'm amazed that people will spend $200 on a phone they will have to spend another $100 on to replace the battery when it no longer holds a full charge. And what if your battery runs out midday?? I carry a spare for my Motorola just in case so I can always stay in contact with my clients.

#3 User is offline   bobthedino 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:44 AM

Regarding Flash, can anyone name a phone that does support full Flash (not Flash Lite) in its web browser? And there are numerous external battery packs available for the iPhone, which are far more useful than just carrying an extra battery around - mainly because you can charge them independently of the iPhone.

#4 User is offline   Markatz 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:44 AM

All that was said in this article is half true and quite inaccurate. I have a 1st generation iPhone and have been happily shooting video and sending it to Youtube. And as for MMS and IM, as all jailbroken iPhone owners know, there have been several applications for both these purposes (and more) available for download and installation. What you have to understand is that the iPhone is not just a phone, it’s a platform (a computer if you wish) that evolves as developers create more applications for it, and with the iTunes Appstore this will be even more true.

#5 User is offline   kniveswood 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:04 AM

Nice list. But the list missed out the 3G modem part as mentioned here:
http://boogadget.com...e-3g-still-suck

#6 User is offline   BlackFoxfour 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:14 AM

Hmm. Still not ready to give up my BlackBerry just yet. Seems the IPhone is still unable to act as a modem!

#7 User is offline   machielg 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 04:15 AM

I'm also missing 'sufficient battery life' feature from the list. I don't agree that the iPhone needs a replaceable battery, it needs good battery life from the build in battery! Regular business use will drain the battery in a single day even before dinner. I hope Apple can improve battery life with software upgrades.

#8 User is offline   feldzmo 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:07 AM

Everybody seems to be forgetting the one app that would be the true KILLER APP for the iPhone, namely DICTATION SOFTWARE !
Software that would let a user dictate an outgoing Email that could be retrieved on a home computer, then to be printed or filed.
(After all, the device does have a microphone and an operating system.)

#9 User is offline   randytayler 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:23 AM

Ah, but dictation software still isn't where it needs to be to be usable. I can't blame Apple for that.

But why no TV reception? I imagine this isn't a technological hurdle so much as a financial choice -- why give it away free when you can charge iTunes users for episodes? But other phones and carriers offer channels with their services, so I'm surprised Apple hasn't followed suit, if just to offer the "ultimate" phone.

#10 User is offline   z1he 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:25 AM

3G TETHERED MODEM

de fact of being capable to use your iphone as a wireless modem for your laptop over bluetooth, USB and/or Wifi.

It is 2008, for God's sake.

What is Apple's problem with bluetooth? Not invented here? Grow up Steve.

#11 User is offline   Dabbler 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

randytaylor.... why no FM reception on iPods? most other MP3 players have it.

#12 User is offline   randytayler 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:04 PM

Dabbler -- probably the same reason -- money. Let people have free music, and they're less likely to buy it.

Can't blame 'em. But personally, I think I'll wait for a Google Android phone with all the stuff I want.

#13 User is offline   davesmall 

• PipPip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:12 PM

None of the ten features on your list rock my boat with the possible exception of copy and paste. I don't think they really know how to do copy and paste very well with the iPhone's touch interface. (If it was something they know how to do I believe they would have done it).
There are a couple features I do think important that are missing. They are:
1. Ability to use the iPhone as a 3G modem for connecting a laptop. This has been number 1 on my list of most wanted features since before the release of the first iPhone. Once in a while I need Internet connectivity when I'm out of range and don't have a WiFi hotspot. Doesn't happen often enough to justify yet another AT&T Data Plan and separate 3G card for my MacBook Pro.
2. Bluetooth support for an external keyboard. The touch screen keyboard is OK for typing short memos but it is impossible to do touch typing on it. A 6 or 8 inch keyboard with bluetooth connectivity would be a nice thing to have when you want to type a lengthy messge.
But I don't care about multi-media messaging, better cameras, or any of the other stuff on your list.

#14 User is offline   phelim 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

I agree with most of what you have said but i must point out that the camera on both versions of iPhone is more than capable of taking video. I've taken about 20 videos on my first-gen phone. 'iPhone Video Recorder' and 'ShowTime' are two popular video capture apps.

#15 User is offline   talhamid 

• PipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:59 AM

"But I don't care about multi-media messaging, better cameras, or any of the other stuff on your list."
That is the typical Apple fan attitude. They seem to think that cellphones started with the iPhone. It is hideously expensive for what you get, but it IS cool. However, only people like me, who have been using smartphones for several years, can understand where iphone lacks.
Yes, who needs better cameras, right? Just because iPhone has one SUCKING camera means that it is no longer approppriate for cellphones to have good cameras.
Steve jobs is letting his subjects live in Dark Ages and they are gullible enough to accept it.
See what I can do with my Nokia smartphone that costs half as much as the iPhone:
1) Create, View AND edit videos in DVD-like resolution
2) Take excellent photos, geotag them, then upload them to web with one click
3) Broadcast videos to my TV and songs to my audio player through the cable
4) Play rich 3D games
With an iphone, I just get a touchscreen and that beyond cool interface. Good to have, but way too expensive. Sorry, I'll pass. Because I want my phones to WORK for me, not the other way round.

#16 User is offline   rub114 

• Pip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:37 PM

This iPhone is a lot worse than the old one! I have had it for one day and i am about to go return it! It stays connected to 3G in my apartment, where i get NO bars - and doesnt switch to EDGE. I cannot receive or make any calls - unless i manually disconnect 3G. Absolutely rubbish!
Give my my old iPhone back!!

#17 User is offline   kaushikagrawal 

• Pip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:52 PM

I think one more little feature iPhone misses is the ability to forward text messages. Also it's nice to see the SMS's like a chat conversation, but there should have been a way to delete individual messages.

#18 User is offline   thecaptainps 

• Pip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:30 PM

"5. Improved predictive text (or the ability to turn it off)"
Frustrated by the inability to turn it off except by clicking on the word, I hunted around for a solution to turning it off when you don't want it:
If you add another keyboard in language options, you end up with a tiny globe button next to the spacebar. When you get predictive text that you don't want, tap the globe (switching languages) and the predictive text goes away.
This works best when you have English (US) and English (UK) keyboards in tandem. It's a nasty hack, but it saves me throwing the ipod across the room when it messes up a fancy acronym.
Thanks to the random forumgoer who clued me in to that trick.

#19 User is offline   davesmall 

• PipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:42 PM

See what I can do with my Nokia smartphone that costs half as much as the iPhone:
1) Create, View AND edit videos in DVD-like resolution
2) Take excellent photos, geotag them, then upload them to web with one click
3) Broadcast videos to my TV and songs to my audio player through the cable
4) Play rich 3D games

I could care less about videos. If the iPhone had a video camera I doubt that I would ever use it. The iPhone handles photos better than almost any phone. I could care even less about rich 3D games. Games are complete waste of time. The iPhone has a ton of games but I'll pass on that category because it is nothing more than a time waster.

The person who is going to miss out here is you. A Nokia smart phone is to the iphone as Hyundai is to BMW. Get used to it.

#20 User is offline   benf 

• Pip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:08 PM

davesmall, hahaha, rotflmao, Dave, the iPhone is certanly no BMW, it's more closly related to a Yugo but thanks for the laugh.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users