PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: "Close programs to prevent information loss" error. Is Vista hogging my RAM? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Close programs to prevent information loss" error. Is Vista hogging my RAM?

#1 User is offline   MicTig 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:09 PM

The error message appears after a level loads on Battlefield 2142. I have 2 gigabytes of RAM, but somehow it is filled up. My setup goes like this:

Toshiba A200 Laptop

Windows Vista Ultimate (Re-installed once)

2 Gigs of DDR2 RAM

1.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor

128 Mb Intel HD 2400 GC

200 Gig HD 7200 RPM

I know my system can play it, but it just maxes out my RAM somehow. (It uses about 600mb of RAM. Does this sound right?)

If anyone could tell me what I can do to fix this problem, it would be greatly appreciated. I`ve already been to a different site but no one answered my question. I just want to play my game, so please help! I`m seriously considering dual-booting XP, just so I can play. This problem is making me very sad, and it happend just as I was starting to like Vista. :_|

#2 User is offline   piyushsingh 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:46 PM

Hi {user:username=MicTig}
2 gigs is more than enough for running that game. A usage of 600mb by battlefield2142 seems fine to me, no problem with that.
I think you are getting this error because of low page file. What size of paging file have you kept ?

#3 User is offline   MicTig 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:56 PM

Sorry, but I don`t really know what my paging file is, but I found something under the Preformance tab of task manager. It says right now (not playing the game)

Paging File 1238M / 1984M

I hope this is what you are looking for

Here is some other stuff it says, just for the heck of it:

Handles 23255

Threads 968

Processes 73 (I guess I was wrong before)

Kernel memory (MB)

Total 223

Paged 133

Nonpaged 90

Physical memory (MB)

Total 2045

Cached 1316

Free 46

And my memory usage right now is 1.10 GB and my CPU usage is about 4%

Thank you so much for posting! I hope this is the correct info!

#4 User is offline   MicTig 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:33 AM

Ooooo! You`re smart! Do you mean it has something to do with Window`s Virtual Memory, because I checked and it was set to OFF! That`s no good! I set it to Let Windows Choose or whatever. We`ll see what happens, but I think this is it! Hoorray! I can play my game now! Never mind. Its 1:33 am no time =(.

#5 User is offline   piyushsingh 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:42 AM

Thats nice that you have quoted the entire task manager info here. It gives a good info about the whole memory pattern.

Follow these steps -
* Right click my computer icon on desktop and go to properties .On the left hand side , you will see advanced system settings .Click that. A system properties box will open up. Move to the advanced tab here.

* Now under the performance heading , click settings button .It will open up the performance options window. Again go to the advanced tab here.It will be like this.
Posted Image

You can see the virtual memory heading there. Click change button. A virtual memory window will pop up . On the top check the automatically manage paging file size for all drives and click OK on all boxes to close each one of them in order.
Restart and play the game , post back if you the problem still continues.

#6 User is offline   MicTig 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

Thank you for your help! My average Physical Ram usage went from 1.10 GB to 600mb. And my page file is 1204M / 4330M. And my game works without using too much RAM. Thank you for your help!

#7 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:22 PM

Hi MicTig and welcome to the PCWorld Communities. :D

It appears that your question has been answered. I have marked this Discussion as "Assumed Answered." As a final step, since you have this Discussion marked as "Answered," please select the two (2) posts that you feel were "Helpful" and the post that you feel was "Correct."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users