• Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

Post your comments for Give Vista Another Chance here

#2 User is offline   piyushsingh 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:23 PM

The title should be "give yourself another chance" . ;-)

#3 User is offline   tenney67 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

I think Vista is getting a bad rap. I'm running a XP computer and my son's computer bit the dust so I purchased a new one with Vista installed and they have been having no problems at all using it, running software, or using old printers or other hardware with it.

I think Microsoft should never have allowed the whole "Vista Ready" computer mess to happen.
Clearly state what is needed to safely run the software and don't play games with your customers.

#4 User is offline   tomadamstx 

• Pip

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:00 PM

I help average people with their computers and it's a shame that there has to be any learning curve or issues with a 3rd or 4th generation OS. But I still think the advantages are not worth upgrading at this point due to the cost. However, if you are buying a new machine, then it is probably best to go to Vista. But a lot of users need some help getting started with it. Why MS changed some of the things they did (like calling My Computer, just Computer) is beyond me.

#5 User is offline   olddave208 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:08 PM

Microsoft missed the boat with vista. They should hire somebody that actually uses computers to test new software. The geeks that test the software are VERY computer savy, and can adapt to new software in a matter of days. The average person is still having problems with xp. They cannot fathom the fact that one needs to spend additional money to protect their computer on the net. I have rebuilt dozens of xp machines for people, only to warn them to add virus protection and a firewall, only to have the machine back 6 months later in the same shape with no protection. I have added 2 years of updates to machines, because people are too lazy to update. Vista is nice software, but like xp, one needs to run extra protection. Microsofts one care is the most bloated useless piece of computer trash I have ever seen. If I was a marketing person at microjoke they would have designed a vista light for older machines that would have sold like hotcakes on a cold day. Microsoft dropped the ball on vista, don't blame the average computer user for not adopting software that requires dual core to run. The blame for its failure lies on the back of microsoft not on the average person. Yes, I have run vista for 6 months on one of my machines. I like it, but would not in good faith, tell most people to update. I run it on a dual boot with xp, and have not booted back to xp in 3 months. In the future, it will get accepted ONLY because, most new machines come with it installed. Every machine I currently run, was a xp machine people ran into the ground with spyware and viruses, and bought a new machine, rather than try to repair the one they had. The main reason was the literal rape that repair people tried to commit on unknowing general public with rediculious prices to rebuld computers. I actually had a man come to me to install a ram chip that a company that will remain unkown wanted $75.00 to install. This was a 2 minute job. My point.

#6 User is offline   lilxkid24 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:15 PM

chris crocker needs to make a video on leave vista alone xD

#7 User is offline   tomadamstx 

• Pip

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

I agree with what you are saying. I worked in the Unix server business but most people that I help don't know PC World mag from a MS flyer and have no idea about how to install an Operating System upgrade even if their machines supported it and it was free. And I also help non-profits who are happy to get a donated 4 year old machine with 256Meg (which I normally upgrade to 512) -- and with that upgrade it will run XP just fine. They can't afford a 1 or 2 gig machine. And they don't need a mix of XP and Vista so now the fun will begin when they start to get a few Vista machines (to use in their office, teach English, basic keyboarding, etc) and at some point there will be a mix of XP and Vista. Sad for them. You are right about MS testing. I just wish they would spend the money on basic operating system stability (like Unix) and ease of use instead of transparent windows as well as different looks/skins/environments which most people don't need or use. Vent, vent, vent. :-))

#8 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:32 AM

:^0 LOL. That would be hilarious.

#9 User is offline   rdtindiana 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:24 AM

Febuary 2007, 5 year old computer with XP Windows, Dies! At that time was forced into purchasing New Computer programed with Vista. Compatibility issues with old hardware printer and scanner, as well, external hard drive. As well as numerous problems with add-on software. New OS should make computers easier to use! Thumbs up on Vista and Office 2007: Thumbs down on "Microsoft Vista" for Compatibility!

#10 User is offline   mcbarker 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:40 AM

I think David Feng forgets that Windows 2000 was released as a business system, with emphasis on more easily setting up networks and other business applications, and in that respect, it was an excellent upgrade; so comparing it to Windows 98 is very much an apples to oranges comparison. It was never intended as a system for average home users, even though many home users, upon hearing the usual hype, installed it anyway, then complained loudly about its incompatibilities.

I personally think that Vista can more accurately be compared to Windows ME, a system fraught with problems. An unnecessary and untimely OS with few improvements (and many flaws), released with the sole intent of making money. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... The OS is not about a pretty interface, but should be about ease of use with a minimal learning curve, and compatibility with software and hardware which is less than a year or two old.

The only situation in which I'd recommend Vista, is to someone buying a new machine for the first time, and who has no old hardware or software they want to install.

#11 User is offline   EXPATTYKE 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:44 AM

Have you ever tried doing on-site support as a business? Are you aware of the fact that it costs at least $60.00 on average to put a technician at someone's door?

The onsite support industry generally offers good value for money. Last year I was able to keep the equivalent of a grade school teacher's salary after paying all costs of running a business, and that's with $99.00 as a minimum charge. Try walking a mile in someone else's shoes before slamming a whole industry.

I enjoy helping people who do not have IT in their background to get their computers to do what they wish them to do, and most of them don't mind paying for service. If you want RAM installed for $20 or $30, take it to an electronics store, don't expect someone to come to you with entry level technician salaries in the mid-40s and gas at $4.00 per gallon.

#12 User is offline   tomadamstx 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:42 AM

Oh, yes, you are right about ME. I can never forgive MS for putting that piece of junk out and then never putting out any decent fixes for it. It did help sell 2000 and XP, I guess as I know I told a lot of people to get ME off their computer as soon as possible. I don't think Vista is as bad as ME but it's not any breakthrough, "save us all" solution either. It's too big a pig and costs too much, however, for what you get. I will have to get a copy, however, so I can support clients who have it. :-(

#13 User is offline   kwjordan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:05 AM

I cannot afford to upgrade my computer so it can run Vista. Is that clear?

#14 User is offline   amagine 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:19 PM

"Despite what some folks might say, businesses of all sizes can expect significant business value from deploying Windows Vista."
I would have to disagree. Not because I suffer from angst nor fear, simply because Vista is not a big enough leap ahead in technology.
It really feel like an XP patch with 2006 GUI update.
I personally prefer the look and parts of UI of Vista over any other Microsoft Windows OS, but Vista is truly that skin deep when it comes to productivity & over all ease of use.
I am also greatly saddened that Microsoft can still not produce a 64bit OS with complete 32bit backward compatibility.
I have intalled 32bit and 64bit OS on all 20 of our Networked PC's and with testing over the last 2months, 64bit Vista/XP is still a fringe interest with limited advantages over deploying 32bit versions with greater compatibility.
I waited for the completion of SP1 to install Vista, and even though I would really love to stay with Vista, I have been rolling back to our XP backups leaving 1Vista machine for testing of future service packs.
UI is pretty much like XP with some backwards steps in usability. General file exploration has reduced productivity, and increased button clicks for similar aspects in XP.
Networking is just so slow and buggy in Vista. And while there are ways to speed up networking in Vista, it is not enough.
I'll never understand the security argument. Perhaps for home users this is true but in a business network there are few excuses (besides plain ignorance in IT Security) in being unable to maintain a secure XP business network (or any network connected to the internet in this day of age).
I look forward to Windows 7. I hope MS gets this one right.

#15 User is offline   mikek6511 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:22 PM

how to use the find.pcworld.com/60793 i tried it but all i get is cant find 60793 what am i doing wrong mike

#16 User is offline   AuroraDizon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

http://www.pcworld.c...escription.html

#17 User is offline   raife1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:24 PM

Nice bit of SPIN... But...

Ive noticed that there appear to be three primary rhetorical-pieces of propaganda, currently, being used, the most, to support Microsoft (in their, more and more, desperate attempt to push/rescue "Vista").

They appear to be:

1- Claim that every new version of "Windows" has actually faced the -same- "resistance"... In this case specifically mentioned were "Windows 98", "Windows-2000", and "XP". And then, it was pointed-out how well they were eventually received.

What is glossed-over by this, rather, thin-argument, are the REAL (genuinely-justified) technological, and/or market, flops. These include "Windows 95" (which had so many bugs, and incompatibilities that Microsoft had to release a series of major patches/upgrades, just to address many of its glaring-problems... culminating in the final, major, patch... You may have heard of it... It was called "Windows 98"). And, there was also "Windows ME" (...even Microsoft admits what a complete disaster that actually was). And, even "Windows XP" DID, in fact, have quite a few, major, compatibility issues, and DID cost consumers a great deal to switch-over. And, it would be supremely loose with the truth to not point-out that fact that "Windows-XP" HAS had the, single, worst security-history of virtually ANY software, or, that many of XPs "features" ("Product Activation", "WGA", etc.) have thoroughly annoyed consumers (and effectively stripped them of several, basic, consumer-rights).

So... yes, much new software has faced some initial resistance, but sometimes it WAS, in fact, fully warranted. And, resistance to "Vistas" adoption has hardly simply been met with some, general, unfocused, unease with its "newness". Much of the industry actually seems to be in, almost, full-scale rebellion against Microsofts latest products.

Next...

2- Imply that "Vistas" (and in a, somewhat, larger context, Microsofts) market-troubles are merely a "perception" issue.

This, of course, ignores the most basic realities of the computer-industry, IT-professionals, and consumer, responses (to very real problems, Microsoft-actions, and consumer-needs). These are NOT merely "perceptions" (as Microsoft, so clearly, desperately wants consumers to accept). They are often very real, and serious, issues. And, frankly, intentionally ignoring (or trying to SPIN your way out of) these types of realities, is the height of corporate arrogance, and foolishness. And, in the long-run is, almost certainly, doomed to failure.

And, finally...

3- Actively, assert that anyone that points-out, such unflattering, realities... is simply an, unreasoning, "MS-basher"... who doesnt actually understand what they are talking about... and who, therefore, should simply be ignored. This is the classic "...all right -thinking people agree"... argument. Unfortunately, it appears that it is actually a very sizable-number (of both, consumers, and IT-professionals), that clearly hold an opinion contrary to Microsofts wishes. In short, this particular SPIN is nothing more than a load of insulting rhetoric. And, again, the preponderance of realities and facts appear to finally be, inexorably, grinding-away at this type of, fundamentally-dishonest, attempt at market-manipulation.

So... time, after time, after time... consumers HAVE given Microsoft additional chances (after numerous, poor-products... repeated, often-illegal market-manipulation... seemingly-perpetual security-failures... and abuses committed against consumers time, and time-again). However, like parents with a thoroughly spoiled, self-centered, BRAT... at some point, the realities of the situation will have to, finally, be addressed (the problems simply become too great to ignore, and external-factors forcibly-intervene). And, perhaps, the "problems" with "Vista" finally are the shock needed to push past the, seemingly-boundless, apathy of consumer/market-inertia.

#18 User is offline   amagine 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:34 PM

:nod:

yah, I'd say this sums up Microsofts problems pretty fairly.

#19 User is offline   mmm111 

• PipPip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:49 AM

How could you write an article about the practicality of Vista without talking about how incredibly slow it is?
Don't buy anything less than a 3g memory for business use.

#20 User is offline   bertsaxby 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

Vista isn't the worst OS release I've ever seen, but it does rank pretty high. I think this appeal to give it another chance is kinda half baked. w98 to w2k...well the author missed a few things along the way now didn't he? How about WindowsMe? How about the debacle when Microsoft proclaimed Windows NT was awesome for laptops? Nobody is saying Vista doesn't have certain applications, I think it succeeds at about the level that Windows ME or NT on laptops did...which...isn't saying a whole lot.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users