PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How do I get pictures to look normal on my new widescreen monitor? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do I get pictures to look normal on my new widescreen monitor?

#1 User is offline   demmerich1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:22 PM

I just purchased a new PC that came with a 19" widescreen monitor (YUCK!). I dislike widescreens because they make my pictures look all stretched out. How do I get pictures to look normal on my new widescreen monitor? I have tried playing with the different screen settings and nothing seems to help. All that did was to make my desktop icons look normal...and small. I really want to use the new monitor, but right now I am not too pleased with it. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I am using Vista Home Premium.

Thanks,

Dawn

#2 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:47 PM

The standard screen uses a resolution in a ratio of 4 wide and 3 high or 4:3. The wide screen monitor uses a ratio of 16 wide and 10 high or 16:10. (HDTV is 16:9). Each LCD monitor has what it calls a native resolution. For the vast majority of 19" monitors this is 1440x900 which may be a little small. Depending on the resolutions available you could go to 1360x850 (but I have not seen that available on my graphics cards) or 1280x800.

I have a 24" wide screen monitor, which I love, but the native is 1920x1200 which is very small. I run it at 1440x900 which on a 24" monitor is somewhat large. It helps with the small fonts on the PC Word Community.

To adjust the resolution, simply right click somewhere on the desktop (other than the sidebar) and then click on display settings. Right clicking on a window will get you the properties of the window.

If you went to a 19" wide from a 19" standard, it will appear a little smaller as it is shorter in the vertical, but slightly wider.

#3 User is offline   lilxkid24 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

Theres not much you can really do besides get the same size wallpaper as your monitor resolution or not have the image stretched or drag the resolution bar all the way to the right>>>>

#4 User is offline   mcbarker 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

As lilxkid said, for wallpaper, find some which matches your new monitor's native resolution. If other things are also being stretched out, look at the "Flat Panel Scaling" setting in your video card's software. If you don't want anything to be stretched out, use the "scaling with fixed aspect ratio" setting.

#5 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:23 PM

what program are you using to view the pictures?

if you are talking about the desktop background, set the picture to center, not stretched.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users