PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Ex-Googler, Husband Launch Cuil New Search Engine - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ex-Googler, Husband Launch Cuil New Search Engine

#1 User is offline   PCWorld 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:10 PM

Post your comments for Ex-Googler, Husband Launch Cuil New Search Engine here

#2 User is offline   MartinTurow 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:29 AM

Congratulations Cuil and best of luck to you in this endeavor. Google definitely needs competition and has become somewhat of arrogant monster in how they treat people. Hopefully you won't turn out to be that way and will remember your humble roots.

#3 User is offline   bmjenkins82 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:13 AM

Just tried the new search engine and its a joke. Sure it will find pages if your looking for simple things but I tried obscure searches that google found with no problem and this search engine just says sorry no matches. Keep on trying but it doesn't look like my homepage is going to change anytime soon.

#4 User is offline   Fretless 

• PipPip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:48 AM

I also just tried it and am thoroughly unimpressed. I did a search for "silver cufflinks," a search I've done on Google before. First, the site was excruciatingly slow. Then it kept coming up with hits for Russian sites where I couldn't have purchased the cufflinks if I tried. And it kept coming up with a picture of a certain pair of cufflinks on the search page, but when I clinked on the pair, I was brought to another page altogether. Sorry kids. Nice try. I'm sticking with what's tried and true.

#5 User is offline   Aerospaced 

• PipPip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:15 AM

I had a go at it too. I tried the word photo, it began doing its thing, I went to the fridge and fetched a drink, I came back in time to see it finish.
I didn't see what I wanted so I put in my company name. Nope, not there either. Hmmmmm, been here 20 years now and Google and yahoo have no problem finding me.
Even the name sucks.

#6 User is offline   Skinflint 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:42 AM

This search engine is lame, to say the least. I searched for products I normally find hundreds of pages for, on yahoo and google. Cuil said there were no matches!
Trust me, Google and Yahoo have nothing to worry about.

#7 User is offline   bmjenkins82 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:58 AM

It seems that the creators of this search engine may not work at google anymore for a reason hahaha.

#8 User is offline   chomxxo 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:11 AM

No results for the search term 'Louisiana'

"Some reasons might be...
* a typo. Please check your spelling.
* your search includes a term that is very rare. Try to find a more common substitute.
* too many search terms. Please try fewer terms.
Finally, try to think of different words to describe your search."
mmm...no.

#9 User is offline   EvanH 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:41 AM

The "Explore by Category" is a joke! When I searched for a couple popular scientific papers by authors, it came up with categories like "Swedish Female Footballers". When I searched for IEEE specs by their number, it came up categories like "Burials at Westminster Abbey". I don't think there's one engineering or scientific category in their system.

#10 User is offline   garyp1 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:06 AM

I also tried a couple of searches that have always been successful with Google (e.g., searching for my business with a couple of key words that typically results in top listing of my business site with some other sites where the name has been mentioned) and Cuil came up no matches! Seems not too useful at this time.

#11 User is offline   asorescu 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

This is strange... I searched "piano teacher Scarborough" in cuil and there were no results. Google comes up with about 53000 related results. Should I conclude it takes a while for a search engine to index quite important pages?

#12 User is offline   tliszt 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

Just reading about CUIL today. I've tried repeatedly to try the site, but each attempt results in an "unavailable" message.
So NO, not impressed. How can I be if I can't even access the site?!

#13 User is online   niacekim 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:59 PM

I'm just an old hacker but I tested some of the complaints listed in the comments. Those complaining about LACK OF RESULTS must be out of touch. This search engin gives tons of relevant results. By the way ALLWAYS

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

#14 User is offline   BlinnPR 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:09 PM

Not sure what the news is, that former Google employees started a rival company or that Cuil indexes more pages.
Either way, you're still going to have to click through a bunch of junk to find what you want.
BTW, there is free software available from Surf Canyon (http://www.surfcanyon) that makes search better and faster by re-ranking Google, Yahoo! and MSN on the fly.
How many times have you enter a search on Google or Cuil and get millions of results, there has to be something valuable beyond page one. Digging through all those pages, however, is too time-consuming, so few people do it.
Surf Canyon helps solve this problem. The technology observes your actions as you search, automatically figures out what it is that you want and then, on the fly, digs as deep as page 100 the search results and fetches it for you. It's like a search engine for the search results.
Cheers,
Steven Blinn
BlinnPR

#15 User is offline   asorescu 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:31 PM

No need for calling names such as DEAD HEADS, Mr. "hacker who knows everything"... The engine does not behave consistently, and that is a fact. I tried again the "piano teacher Scarborough" and this time the message was different. "No results because of server overload". Wonderful. Probably if I keep trying the server will give me what I want. However it is way too moody for my taste. I will stick with Google and Wikia for now, which both work fine. Moreover in Wikia you can instantly add a new page for indexing.

#16 User is offline   YAUN 

• Pip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:40 PM

Technical: I've tried the engine with several widely different searches. In a difficult search case, i.e. one where G&Y didn't turn up much (try Astrotrac if you want an example), Cuil shone! It returned many more results than either of the others. However, in easier search cases, it sometimes returns fewer. It is a work in progress but I'll use it as first choice for it's clean, uncluttered interface (I don't really miss the stupid low mortgage dancing and all the rest of that garbage and it's ability to return results in difficult searches. One other observation: it also repeats itself; i.e. it will show the found content more than once.

Cultural: Read their privacy statement and rejoice! "Do No Evil Google" has been caught multiple times fudging, if not outright lying, regarding its policies and methods. And DNEG seems at the same game again with its approach to the so-called "Inet Fairness" nonsense. So, as with other vendors of note, one can wish for successful competition against a company that practice NOT what it preaches.

#17 User is offline   number6 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:29 AM

I don't know about the search results of Cuil, but their privacy policy is great. It's another addition to my collection of search engines that protect privacy.

ixquick stores only the information that you tell it to such as preferences. It collects results from a number of search engines and combines them.

Scroogle routes your search through their servers so that Google doesn't have any records of you, and, of course, Scroogle destroys all tracks within 48 hours.

Both of them allow you to use SSL. I don't know about Cuil yet, though.

#18 User is offline   NewCityVegas 

• Pip

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

Added to: GooPlusPlus Multi-search

Cuil - not the best choice for a name but it has a unique, professional appearance and it is very functional.

Cuil will be a valued addition to the select searches available at gooplusplus.com

There are no perfect searches but Cuil definitely belongs in the top rung of search sites.

#19 User is offline   number6 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

It's not as bad as I thought. Read why they call it that on their FAQ.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users