PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: What is the Best Utility to Clean Up and Speed Up My eMachine - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is the Best Utility to Clean Up and Speed Up My eMachine

#1 User is offline   mollybee 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

I have a 2 1/2 year old emachine personal computer. It started out very fast, but has lost is ability to load programs. I am bombarded by marketers to speed up and clean up my machine. I want to know which one to consider. I already have Speed Up My PC, Win Patrol, Registry Fix, Reg Sweep, Registry Patrol and Registry Help and none seem to help. I need some honest recommendations.

#2 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

Hi MollyBee and welcome to the PCWorld Communities. :D

First, I have changed your Discussion title to give a clearer indication of your question. For future reference, please be as descriptive as possible in both the heading of your Discussion as well as the post itself.

Now, the information you provided is fine; however, you did not give us the specifications of your computer. This may be a major indication as to why your computer has slowed down. What are the exact specifications of your computer, including Power Supply peak wattage? (You can find the Power Supply peak wattage on the inside of the computer on a sticker on the side of the Power Supply.)

Additionally, what applications do you have installed on your computer? This information is listed in your Add or Remove Programs utility. I know the list may be long but the more information you provide us, the better we can assist you.

#3 User is offline   MicTig 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:01 PM

Use CCleaner. It's free and does the best job of cleaning your computer. The same company also has a free program called Defraggler which defragments your computer efficiently and also with a nice interface. Google both of them. No spyware either! These were recommended to my by some major geeks on the web so you know they have to be good! Defragment your computer at least once a month or more to keep it running smoothly. Oh! Another thing is that if your hard drive is full or almost full windows runs very slowly because it needs the extra space for Virtual Memory and other stuff. Also uninstall any programs you don't want to free yourself more space and also to free yourself of background tasks. Oh yeah, go to run and type Msconfig and go to the startup tab and disable all the startup things you don't need (Just don't disable stuff you don't know about, google it if your not sure). Ok I think this is a good little guide. Also, remember to keep a clean and organized computer!

PS. Don't download and pay for all those programs. CCleaner does pretty much everything they do but for free.

PPS. CCleaner stands for Crap Cleaner :0

#4 User is offline   AuroraDizon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:16 PM

I think its suppose to stand for Computer Cleaner but everyone calls it Crap Cleaner lol not sure though.

#5 User is offline   mollybee 

• PipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:12 PM

Thank you so very much for the helpful info. I am happy to have found this site.

#6 User is offline   mollybee 

• PipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:14 PM

Thank you for your helpful answer. I sure do appreciate it.

#7 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

Posted Image Hi Molly :

CCleaner has a dubious "Registry Cleaner" which should be avoided. That is why MANY

experienced, trained, certified "Malware-Fighters" recommend the Alternative "ATF

Cleaner", developed by antiSPYWARE Expert "ATribune" and available at his website at

www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25 .

#8 User is offline   AuroraDizon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

Most people are told not to run the registry cleaners unless necessary.

#9 User is offline   MicTig 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:17 PM

I've never had any problems with CCleaner (it's not only a registry cleaner btw) and I've used it on 3 pcs so far, each with a different OS. But you don't have to use it if you don't want to .

* It asks you if you want to back up your registry before you run the registry cleaner, so if anything goes wrong you can just revert to your version you had before. You can also choose what you want it to fix/delete, etc.

#10 User is offline   MicTig 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

It is "Crap Cleaner" :Dwww.ccleaner.com/update/

#11 User is offline   AuroraDizon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:48 PM

Lol so it does. Not very professional, but funny. I guess thats why I assumed it didn't really stand for Crap lol.

#12 User is online   alchav21 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:57 AM

Hi Molly, your first mistake is buying an eMachine they don't use the best Hardware. Anyway, I don't believe in a lot of Utility Software, so you can start by un-installing all the stuff. Then you can go to Add and Remove Programs and get rid of all the Junk Programs. All you need is a good Anti-Virus and Windows XP/SP3. Then you do a Disc Clean-Up and run a Defrag. If you don't have at least 1Gb of RAM this would be the area that will give your computer more speed.

ALC

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users