PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Cannot Restore My Computer to a Previous Date - System Restore Points Fail - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cannot Restore My Computer to a Previous Date - System Restore Points Fail

#1 User is offline   bbarie 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:38 PM

I have Windows XP and have tried many times to restore my computer to a previous date using System Restore but each time I try I get an error message saying that it cant be restored to this date and to try another date. I have tried every available date listed.

Can anyone help on this issue, Please.

#2 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:20 AM

Hi BBarie and welcome to the PCWorld Communities. :D

First, please only post one question per Discussion. This prevents one question from getting more focus. Submitting more than one question in a Discussion could potentially leave the other question on the back burner or confuse the Discussion entirely. I have removed the Hotmail portion of your Discussion from your post. Please post your Hotmail concern in the Web Browsing & Email Community which is accessible here.

Now, after doing a brief Google search, there are several technical suggestions available. However, I would like to try something that worked for me a while ago. If you have not tried this already, turn off System Restore by following these steps:

- Click Start -> Control Panel -> System

- Click on the System Restore tab

- Put a check in the box next to, "Turn off System Restore"

- Click Apply and then OK

Once completed, restart your computer. Once your computer is restarted, go back into the System Restore tab and remove the check mark from the box next to "Turn off System Restore." This will enable the System Restore feature again. Click Apply and OK again.

Now, at this point, it is best to create a System Restore point. To do that, please follow the steps listed in this Document {document:id=1139}. Once the System Restore point is created, test it by going through the System Restore process you were previously doing.

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:21 AM

bbarie said:

I have Windows XP and have tried many times to restore my computer to a previous date using System Restore but each time I try I get an error message saying that it cant be restored to this date and to try another date. I have tried every available date listed.

Can anyone help on this issue, Please.

have you tried it in safe mode?

Lincoln

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:53 PM

Hi, In addition to what the others have posted, Do you have your computer set for auto updates? If so, then you need to set it to just to let you know when they are available. There is quirk in it, that when it is set to auto update, it messes up the restore function. coastie65

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users