• You cannot reply to this topic

Print Comes Out Too Small.

#1 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:39 PM

Hi everybody.

I don't know how this happened, but a couple of months ago I noticed that when I print my emails, the print comes out really small.

I've looked everywhere through my Printer dialog box to change the font size, but I haven't been able to find it. I know that when I print something from the Forum the print comes out even tinyer.

Yesterday, I had to print a couple of pages of a legal contract for my friend, and each page was about 1/2 size of the regular 8 1/2 x 11 !!

I have an HP Photosmart C4180 All-In-One printer.

I would appreciate your suggestions.

#2 User is offline   tman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:28 PM

you are printing your email from ?? Outlook, Thunderbird??

and you are printing forum pages from what browser? default in Firefox is 'shrink to fit' (file>print preview>top of page center drop down menu)

same with Thunderbird

#3 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:35 PM

I actually have IE7 and have my email account is with AT&T/Yahoo.

#4 User is offline   tman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:16 PM

!http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

when you click the 'print' icon in yahoo--you should get an HP print
dialog--choose 'properties'--then 'Effects'....check to see what
settings are set there

#5 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hi Tman, and thanks for trying to help me. Sorry it took me a while to get back to this discussion, been busy elsewhere.

I tried what you suggested every which way to Sunday, but no luck there. As I specified in my original post, I have a Photosmart C4180 All-In-One and the print dialog box is very different than yours.

As a matter of fact, my HP printer dialog box does not even have a Properties option either. Here's a Snip of what I do have:

Posted Image

I thought it would be in Preferences, and checked everything there but no Properties option either. So, my prints are still coming out small.

I even tried going to Page on the right hand side by Tools, and changing the Text size to Large, and that didn't help either. I want to be able to just highlight the part of my email I want to print and get a regular print, just like I used to before.

Maybe I forgot to point out that I have Windows Vista Home Premium, as my OS.

#6 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

Well, are any of the experts on Printers on vacation? Oooh right... it's a long holiday.... :p

#7 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:35 PM

Hey Adama, I just ran across this. I got the same thing with My C5180 All-in-One. I haven't really worked on the problem as My HP software is all screwed up and I need to work on it. That means I got to work on my optical drive first as it didn't want to read the HP disk. I think I have a handle on that, I just haven't taken the time to find out. coastie

#8 User is offline   cally45455 

• Pip

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:23 PM

Hi Adama and Coastie 65 -

I have a HP C6150 Photosmart all-in-one and I am experiencing the same thing.

My machine started printing in 6 font about 2 weeks ago. Nothing I do will adjust the size of the font, including all of the suggestions here.

If you get yours fixed, please share the solution. Thanks.

Hmmmmm ......funny how all of our machines are HPs and they went on the fritz about two week ago...don't know what to think about that...

#9 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

Hi Cally and welcome to PCWorld Community.

Wow, isn't that amazing...? all three of us are having the same kind of problem!

Hopefully we'll get some good assistance soon.

#10 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:59 AM

Hi cally and welcome to the forum. I am still at war with this HP software, but I am beginning to think it may be related to the site format and not the printer. I have gotten the same thing from several other sites as well. It may be that the material was intended for "read only" and not formatted to be printed out. Up in the header where it says "Your Stuff" , "History", "browse", and etc, you will see a box to your right. Just to the left of it, is an icon of a printer theat says to click for a printable view of the page. I haven't tried it so don't know if it will help or not. coastie

#11 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

coastie65 said:

Hi cally and welcome to the forum. I am still at war with this HP software, but I am beginning to think it may be related to the site format and not the printer. I have gotten the same thing from several other sites as well. It may be that the material was intended for "read only" and not formatted to be printed out. Up in the header where it says "Your Stuff" , "History", "browse", and etc, you will see a box to your right. Just to the left of it, is an icon of a printer theat says to click for a printable view of the page. I haven't tried it so don't know if it will help or not. coastie

Hi Coastie,

Oh, now I know what you're talking about. I tried that print icon several times last year, but all with the same result = the print came out smaller and almost un-readable. And worse, the text was all centered in the middle! Go figure.

I'm just wondering if maybe this thing is related to the fact that my printer is now 1 year old... who knows.

Anyway, I've been looking around for another printer. I went back to Staples a couple of days ago, and I looked at the Deskjet All-in-one. I have a 2 year warranty that I bought from them, and I can take it back and get another one, but this time I think it's going to be the Deskjet, for me.

#12 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:46 PM

Adama said:

Hi Tman, and thanks for trying to help me. Sorry it took me a while to get back to this discussion, been busy elsewhere.

I tried what you suggested every which way to Sunday, but no luck there. As I specified in my original post, I have a Photosmart C4180 All-In-One and the print dialog box is very different than yours.

As a matter of fact, my HP printer dialog box does not even have a Properties option either. Here's a Snip of what I do have:

Posted Image

I thought it would be in Preferences, and checked everything there but no Properties option either. So, my prints are still coming out small.

I even tried going to Page on the right hand side by Tools, and changing the Text size to Large, and that didn't help either. I want to be able to just highlight the part of my email I want to print and get a regular print, just like I used to before.

Maybe I forgot to point out that I have Windows Vista Home Premium, as my OS.

Have you looked in the "Options" tab in the print dialog (it appear above)? Can you do a screen shot of that and also of the dialog box you get from the Preferences button? Since I don't have your printer or Vista (at least not on this machine), I don't have a point of reference.

Have you tried adjusting the text size under the View menu (assuming you have menus turned on in IE 7...if not, it is also under the "Page" icon drop down menu thingie)?

#13 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

Hi Smax, thanks for dropping by. Ok, I took a few Snips for you.
The first one is the Options dialog box.
Posted Image

This 2nd Snip is of the Advanced tab.

1!

This is the Printing Shortcuts. It doesn't show it here, but it's set for the first one, General Everyday Printing.

Posted Image

This is the Features tab

Posted Image

This last one is the Color tab

Posted Image

I also clicked on View and then on Text Size, and have the text set to Medium.

#14 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

Nothing jumps out at me other than the "Resolutions..." button on the Features tab...but I kind of doubt it would do anything.

Does it do it for ALL webpages or just specific ones? If a specific webpage, can you give me a link to an example (and I will try printing on my printers to see what happens...it could be a webpage setting)?

#15 User is offline   cally45455 

• Pip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:25 PM

Hi all,

Thank you for the warm welcome. After reading all the posts, I started to wonder...we all have HP...and this problem is with our email....so I figured it had to be the printer or my Yahoo Mail. As with all of you, I adjusted the printer in all ways that you can, and I adjusted the Yahoo browser as much as I could, but all remained the same: 6 point font when printing emails. I decided to print my Yahoo email while using Mozilla and IE. Problem rectified. The email prints exactly as it should in both browsers and what ever is adjusted in the display, it is reflected in the print copy.
So at least for me, my problem seems to be originating with the Yahoo browser and how it comunicates to the printer. I guess I will email ATT and see if they have any suggestions. Thanks for all the help. I will keep you posted.

#16 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:01 PM

I have always had this situation now that you describe it in better detail. It was that way before the conversion last August as well. It did it at work on Windows 2000 printing both to the old Laserjet 4100 and then to the Laserjet 1320 that replaced it. It has always done it at home on all my machines and printers (yes Cathy, all HP's as well) both on XP and Vista.

Now we have to find someone with a non-HP printer to try it.

#17 User is offline   Tech4me 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:47 AM

Rgreen. I have canon pixma MP760. I'll try and post it as soon as I get home......(What should I look for...?)

#18 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:43 AM

Just pick out a discussion thread (preferably a small one) and print it out. (File print in FF, right click print in IE, not print screen) and see how it looks. What the situation is that the font if very small, and each line is centered rather than left justified. It makes it difficult to read. Every printer that I own and is funcitonal is an HP of some description as well as all the printers that I had at work. The operating systems have been three different versions of windows, Win2K, XP and Vista, and both FF and IE.

#19 User is offline   Tech4me 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

Hi Green. OK...The first one is from Yahoo PRT/ with default setting(Came out BIG and Whole page). 2nd is from IE 7. (Small...& not much you can adjust)

Yahoo lets me use my own Canon Prt/port ( That I can get into option)

1!

1!

#20 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

Hi everyone, seems like this discussion has taken a different turn. ?:| Here's a copy of the first paragraph of my original question:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
h2. Print Comes Out Too Small.
Hi everybody.

I don't know how this happened, but a couple of months ago I noticed that when I print my emails, the print comes out really small.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I do not usually print webpages, but I do print emails, specially the email notifs I get from here when I'm trying to follow suggestions/advice.

I did try using the AT&T/Yahoo print icon with various results, none of which is the one I wanted.

Anyway, thanks so much for all your assistance. :^0 You guys are the best!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users