PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Limewire... good or bad? - PCWorld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Limewire... good or bad?

#1 User is offline   unclew 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 170
  • Joined: 14-August 06

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:25 PM

I was at a cookout where the hostess had some great music playing on her laptop, nice oldies and jazz. When I asked her about it she told me she had downloaded all her music from Limewire. I googled the site and discovered it is a peer-to-peer file sharing site. I've always been a little wary of that type of service because I've read so many unpleasant things about them.



If anyone here has used Limewire I would appreciate some feedback before I try iy.



Thanks.
0

#2 User is offline   piyushsingh 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,012
  • Joined: 21-July 07
  • Location:India

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

BAD coz
1) Most of the stuff is illegal as copyrighted media is shared.
2) A lot of malware is bundled along with other things and under fake names and you will be infected soon.
3) It opens many ports in your system .
0

#3 User is offline   lilxkid24 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,088
  • Joined: 08-July 07
  • Location:Southern California

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:47 PM

limewire is illegal to download music so it shouldn't be discussed here.
0

#4 User is offline   unclew 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 170
  • Joined: 14-August 06

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:57 PM

That's all I need to know. It's hands off for me.



Thanks.
0

#5 User is offline   techie4fun 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,532
  • Joined: 18-October 06

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

It would depend on what you consider 'good' and 'bad'. File sharing in itself is NOT illegal , but the boundaries step in when sharing copyright material, and Limewire is attracted to that.

It's been years since I used limewire . I believe I gave up after discovering the amount of viruses I was picking up .
0

#6 User is offline   AuroraDizon 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6,083
  • Joined: 30-July 06
  • Location:These are not the droids your looking for.

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:08 PM

P2P programs arn't illegal it all depends on what you download.



Personally I wouldn't touch limewire I know a lot of people who have gotten virus's from it.
0

#7 User is offline   Adama 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,051
  • Joined: 07-September 07
  • Location:California

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:20 AM

Same thing here. A few months back I asked a similar question, because a friend of mine said I could download a free copy of Photoshop from Limewire.

But I heard that so many people have gotten infections and viruses from free downloads, that I just decided I was better off not risking it.
0

#8 User is offline   snorg 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,010
  • Joined: 28-November 07
  • Location:In the wild

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

Youre rite Adama getting pirate software with P2P is a good way to pick up a virus or trojan.

AND
Limewire is too sour for me, i like strawberry wire.

Posted Image
0

#9 User is offline   AuroraDizon 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6,083
  • Joined: 30-July 06
  • Location:These are not the droids your looking for.

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

Adama Photoshop has free trials if you want to check it out, there is also adobe photoshop elements that has the same "elements" of the full sized photoshops for a fraction of the price (still spendy but not insane.) http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
0

#10 User is offline   techie4fun 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,532
  • Joined: 18-October 06

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

snorg said:

Limewire is too sour for me, i like strawberry wire.

Posted Image

Since you brought that up, I'll take some strawberry wire too.
0

#11 User is offline   YANNI 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 02-September 08

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:53 PM

I don't know why everyones complaining about limewire.I've been using it for years albeit an older version....but i've never gotten any viruses and I have a good antivirus program.I dont download movies so maybe thats it only music.
0

#12 User is offline   ninthchamber 

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 58
  • Joined: 21-February 10

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

so are there ANY p2p sites that are recommended or "safe"...

This post has been edited by ninthchamber: 06 April 2010 - 07:08 PM

0

#13 User is offline   linuxjunkie 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 23-February 11

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

View Postninthchamber, on 06 April 2010 - 06:15 PM, said:

so are there ANY p2p sites that are recommended or "safe"...

you have to choose between safe and easy. limewire free download is easy and free and any idiot can use it but it isn't quite safe at least if you have downs. however most torrent sites suck as well. i would say use any software but also your head.
0

#14 User is offline   ice49man 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 28
  • Joined: 18-March 11

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:33 AM

I don't know why this is such a controversial issue among people but Limewire was shut down after a 4 year lawsuit. I used Limewire for the longest time and never had a problem. The only decent alternative I've found now is Frostwire. Bottom line is P2P programs like Limewire are not illegal. It's called "sharing." If my friend hears a song on my ipod that he likes and he wants it, I just copy the song from my computer to a Flash Drive and give it to him. Nothing illegal there and its the same concept. I'm going to stop there because I'm not getting caught up in all of the politics.
0

#15 User is offline   AgentF 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 856
  • Joined: 22-March 10
  • Location:localhost

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:42 AM

View Postice49man, on 19 March 2011 - 09:33 AM, said:

Bottom line is P2P programs like Limewire are not illegal. It's called "sharing." If my friend hears a song on my ipod that he likes and he wants it, I just copy the song from my computer to a Flash Drive and give it to him. Nothing illegal there and its the same concept. I'm going to stop there because I'm not getting caught up in all of the politics.
People confuse ownership with licensing. They think that because they hold the physical disc or downloaded the song from an online store like iTunes that they own complete rights to it. That is incorrect. Movie and music cases have a whole bunch of small print on them which outline your rights to the media. Movies also have multiple messages before every movie showing the same message. For example, just because you purchased the movie doesn't mean you have the right to setup a projector and watch it outside on a bed sheet hanging from your house. You have the right to watch it in a private setting, but not the right to show it publicly unless explicitly given permission.

The mainstream of computers have made it far too easy to copy data including music and movies. At the turn of the century, it was "cool" to own a CD burner. They've become standard 6+ years ago and blank discs are pretty cheap and easy to come by, too.

I'm not going to disagree with the bottom line you mentioned. You should be allowed to share your data, but just because it sits on your desk doesn't mean you own it. Limewire made it far too easy to share copyrighted data. An overwhelming percentage of use, well over 50%, was used to share copyrighted material. The developers didn't put in a strong enough effort to block that use, so the government cut it off.

So, if your friend hears a song on your iPod and wants it too, then you better own copyright or have explicit permission from the owner before you duplicate it. Just because you have the ability doesn't mean you have the right.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.
0

#16 User is offline   ice49man 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 28
  • Joined: 18-March 11

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

View PostAgentF, on 19 March 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

View Postice49man, on 19 March 2011 - 09:33 AM, said:

Bottom line is P2P programs like Limewire are not illegal. It's called "sharing." If my friend hears a song on my ipod that he likes and he wants it, I just copy the song from my computer to a Flash Drive and give it to him. Nothing illegal there and its the same concept. I'm going to stop there because I'm not getting caught up in all of the politics.
People confuse ownership with licensing. They think that because they hold the physical disc or downloaded the song from an online store like iTunes that they own complete rights to it. That is incorrect. Movie and music cases have a whole bunch of small print on them which outline your rights to the media. Movies also have multiple messages before every movie showing the same message. For example, just because you purchased the movie doesn't mean you have the right to setup a projector and watch it outside on a bed sheet hanging from your house. You have the right to watch it in a private setting, but not the right to show it publicly unless explicitly given permission.

The mainstream of computers have made it far too easy to copy data including music and movies. At the turn of the century, it was "cool" to own a CD burner. They've become standard 6+ years ago and blank discs are pretty cheap and easy to come by, too.

I'm not going to disagree with the bottom line you mentioned. You should be allowed to share your data, but just because it sits on your desk doesn't mean you own it. Limewire made it far too easy to share copyrighted data. An overwhelming percentage of use, well over 50%, was used to share copyrighted material. The developers didn't put in a strong enough effort to block that use, so the government cut it off.

So, if your friend hears a song on your iPod and wants it too, then you better own copyright or have explicit permission from the owner before you duplicate it. Just because you have the ability doesn't mean you have the right.


I agree with what you said about ownership and licensing. But about having the right to "duplicate it", I'm still a little wary. Remember, I'm GIVING him the song, not SELLING it. From what I understand, it only becomes illegal to duplicate the song when you accept any form of currency for it (sell it). And also about publicly showing a movie. I still don't understand that logic. I guess that would have to apply to music as well, meaning I couldn't put my ipod on an ihome and blast that music at a cookout or something. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't know but this is just the way I've always thought of it and it just never seemed illegal to me in any way unless you sell it.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users