• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how to install vga port in pc

#1 User is offline   whisky 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:58 AM

Hi,this is whisky,can someone tell me how to install a vga port in a e-521 dell pc,as i bought a hdtv and it has a

vga connector that says pc on it,but i do not have a vga port on pc.

This should not real hard to do but i am not good at installing stuff inside pc's yet is this going to be one of those

thing's that pc shop should do,right now i have a site called( mycablemart ) that has a way of using some of their stuff but

i will still have to install a vga port so it may be easier to use vga to vga to use hdtv,thank's,whisky

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

whisky said:

Hi,this is whisky,can someone tell me how to install a vga port in a e-521 dell pc,as i bought a hdtv and it has a

vga connector that says pc on it,but i do not have a vga port on pc.

This should not real hard to do but i am not good at installing stuff inside pc's yet is this going to be one of those

thing's that pc shop should do,right now i have a site called( mycablemart ) that has a way of using some of their stuff but

i will still have to install a vga port so it may be easier to use vga to vga to use hdtv,thank's,whisky

With the E521 being a desktop computer, you will have to have either a VGA or DVI port in order to connect your computer monitor...if you don't, then that the only other option would be a HDMI port...or a useless computer...but HDMI ports are not really main stream for computer use. Thus, on the rear of the computer, you should have either a VGA port or a DVI port. The VGA port will look like this:

Posted Image

A DVI port will look like this:

!http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

If you have a VGA port, then you just need a VGA cable to connect the computer to the TV. If you have a DVI port, then you will need either a DVI to VGA cable or a DVI to VGA adapter to then use with a VGA cable. An adapter will look like this:

!http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

#3 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:24 AM

Does you hdtv have an HDMI port? What about DVI?

Just goto your favorite online computer store and look for a dual header vga video card. Or you can get a long vga cable and hook the computer straight up to the tv.

If your tv has an hdmi port, i'd look for a graphics card that has one.

I don't know if your computer's mobo has a PCI-express slot, or an AGP slot. That will be the determining factor if you decide to upgrade the video card.

#4 User is offline   whisky 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

Hi,this whisky again,i was talking to the man that has worked on my ps's and he told me that one thing that

i need to make this pc/hdtv work is a video card that will support the hdtv and right now i do not think this e-521

will do this,also this is the pc i trouble with wi-fi hook-up,the pc i am using right now has nvidia-gs7300 video

card from gateway,dvi port,vga port,so what thought i would do is bring hdtv downstairs and hook up to the pc

i am using right now and see what happens as it will be easier to move hdtv then unhook all of the stuff on

e-521,thank's,whisky. (ps) i think the people selling hdtv's and saying you can hook-up a pc is doing a

disservice to the customer by not telling them about their pc may not be capable of doing same.

thank's,whisky

#5 User is online   alchav21 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

Okay Whisky, I think you've had too much! A VGA Port is the old Analog Standard PC Graphics Port, and a DVI (Digital Video Interface) is the new PC Digital Port. Give us your Dell Tag Number and I'll tell you if you have one. Your new HDTV should have them both and all you need is a cord to connect. I pulled the Specs on the Dell e521 and it looks like it has VGA, S-Video, and DVI. VGA being the least desirable hook-up.

#6 User is offline   whisky 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hi,this whisky,here is the info you asked for.

Delle-521,tag#5m97mc1,pc doe's not have either dv i or vga hookups,.also 2.5 of ram and is wireless by netgear

hdtv is a samsung LNT3253H it has a vga but no dvi ,thank's whisky

#7 User is online   alchav21 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

You're right Whisky, that Dell e521 looks like it doesn't have the regular Graphics connections. It was shipped on March 2007, where did you buy this computer or did someone give it to you? It looks like a Company set up. Your HDTV does have some options, you can hook it up with the VGA or you can also use the HDMI. You have HDMI 1&2, with HDMI 1 you can use your HDMI to DVI converter cable and hook it up that way, but you will need to install that card in your computer. I think you do have an S-Video connection and you can connect it that way too, it's a round 5 or 6 pin plug. If you can take a picture of the back of the e521 Dell computer and I'll give you some options.

#8 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:39 AM

Hey Whiskey, Add a PCI-e Video card and you will have both VGA and DVI ports which will allow you to hook to your HDTV. coastie

#9 User is offline   whisky 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

Hi,this is whisky,i got your e-mail about the card,i looked at the back of pc again and i think if i unplug the existing

monitor and go straight to hdtv that should elimanate the need at present of installing new video card.

If you think this is a good way to go and if so then all i need to get would be vga cable long enough to connect

the two together,thank's,whisky

#10 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:36 AM

Hi Whiskey, Yeah, you only have the one connection, so you would have to unplug from the monitor and run it to the TV. I am assuming you want to use the TV as your monitor. You would then set up the input on the TV and all you would have to do is switch the input on your TV to your computer. coastie

#11 User is offline   whisky 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

Hi,coastie,see what happens when you use the gray matter the only thing when i start thinking i

can not stand the smell of hair burning,thank's,whisky

#12 User is online   alchav21 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

Whisky, exactly what do you want to do? You have a Monitor connected to your PC using the VGA Port, now you have bought a HDTV that you can connect to your PC using that same VGA Port or other connections depending on your needs. Your HDTV has various Inputs or Ports, depending on what you want to watch. The main Input would be from your Cable or Satellite, then you can hook-up a DVD Player and DVR. So if you want to watch Videos or Pictures from your PC, you switch to Monitor 2 on your PC and switch the Input on your Samsung. So if you don't want to keep switching cables on your PC you will need to add another Graphics Card with two Ports. I would go with VGA and DVI.

#13 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

alchav21 said:

So if you don't want to keep switching cables on your PC you will need to add another Graphics Card with two Ports. I would go with VGA and DVI.

Not completely true. It is true that this is one way to go...but you could do a VGA splitter cable or a VGA switch box and not need to "switch" cables or get a new graphics card.

#14 User is offline   whisky 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:43 PM

Hi,alchav21,this is whisky,i think what i am going to do with this little problem is start with a vga cable

and see how it looks&works,all i have to do is get vga cable plug it in and see how the resolution is

and go from there if it is something i can live with it will a cheaper&easier way for me to go right now and i

also want to see how it will look. ,thank's,whisky

#15 User is offline   whisky 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:47 AM

Hi,alchav21,this is whisky,i got my 32" lcd to connect to pc,had to call samsung to find out how to do it

they left a minor detail out,like i needed to keep other monitor hooked up to reset resolution to get the

pc and hdtv to work together,when i increased the resolution (1368x768) it filled the screen and looked

really good,all i had to do was get a vga cable which was a lot simpler then changing or hardware to

inside of pc.

Now i have to figure out the sound will not work as samsung just tells you to hook cable from pc to hdtv

which i did,my pc has a sound card,but for some simple reason no sound out of hdtv speakers.

the only thing i have not done yet was hook up cables to all (3)plugs this maybe another thing that samsung

left out of their instructions,thank's for the help,whisky

#16 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

all 3 plugs?? Whatcha mean there?

are you running a stereo connection and a separate for bass?

what are the audio cables you are using? 1/8" to RCA (red and white) 1/8" to 1/4" , etc.

#17 User is online   alchav21 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

This is correct, you won't get any sound out of your HDTV because all the VGA Cable has is Video, if you want sound out of the HDTV you have to run from your Sound Card Mini Plug to the Sound Inputs on your HDTV. Your HDTV only has Right and Left RC Plugs, so you have to get a splitter to split the Mini into Right and Left RC Plugs. I think this is too many wires running all over the house just to get Video from you PC. So again I ask, why do you want to use your HDTV for the PC? If you just want to show Pictures, play Music, or Videos from your PC you can hook up a Media Player to your HDTV and Stream this content.

#18 User is offline   whisky 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:38 AM

hi,this is whisky the cable i am using is a yellow audio cable as that is all the samsung requires,but on the back

of the pc there are (2)sets of plugins but they are not like what i am use to.

I would like the sound to work as there are some video clips that have sound with them i also go to jibjab

for their videos which have sound, if i get my kids camera i can send you picture so you can see what i am

talking about this pc has different plugins that look different,i tried hooking up (3)cables but did not work

Went into belarcadvisor and it scanned pc and it showed it had a sound card,i only need (1)cable for sound to work

went into pc and looked at sound settings and it appeared they were alright,thank's,whisky

#19 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:12 AM

Hi whiskey, That yellow RCA cable is a video cable and the Red and White cables are Audio ( One left and One right). coastie

#20 User is online   alchav21 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

Whisky, on your PC Sound Card you have Mini Plugs, one of them comes out to your Computer Speakers. You have to go to Radio Shack and purchase a Splitter, that splits the right and left sound to RC Female Plugs. Then you connect the red and white RC Plug Cord to your Samsung HDTV, but that cord probably is not long enough so you have to get an extension. All these cables are not practical for the long term laying around the house, a better solution would be a Media Player.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users