• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do I need a laptop cooling pad

#1 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

My laptop is not over heating that I know of it is working fine. But I want to know if I need a cooling pad not because I need to fix a problem but because to try to extend the life of my laptop. I just ask this because there is a cooling pad on sale for $20. So if anyone could just tell me what they think.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:14 PM

You could use a cooling pad or explain where your laptop is positioned when using it. Do you have it sit on your lap during use or does it lie upon a table?

#3 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:32 PM

It would also depend on the airflow from your laptop. Most cooling pads pull air out from directly under the laptop and exhaust to the side. Some laptops pull air in from the side and exhaust out the bottom, so a cooling pad is benefical. However, some laptops pull air in from the bottom and exhaust out the side (my HP's are that way) making a cooling pad less beneficial.

That being said, $20 is a pretty good price and may be worth it, if only to keep your thighs cooler when using the laptop on your lap. I just use a large cutting board I found on sale at the grocery store.

#4 User is offline   lilxkid24 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

If its like always on i recommend one so theirs enough cooling for the laptop. If you have it on for like an hr or 2 in a day theres no need for it.

#5 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:43 PM

Most of the time it is on a desk with a big mouse pad under it

#6 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

The mouse pad is not a good idea. The laptops actually have very short legs, and they are at the corners. Unless the mouse pad is large enough for all four legs to sit on them, then the mouse pad will actually reduce the air flow.

#7 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the info... The mouse pad is big so my laptop is on it and all of the legs are on the pad so is this still not good.

#8 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:47 PM

No that will work ok. I was concerned because if it were a larger laptop and a smallish mouse pad, it would fill in the area between the legs. Anything large enough so that the 4 legs are on it is ok.

#9 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:54 AM

Hey rg!!

If the mouse pad is made of synthetic material, no matter if it reaches all four corners of the

notebook, it will still impede or restrict the air flow to the notebook. I use a cooler pad for two

reasons. One is to have more space between the notebook and the shelf it sits on. The second

is that it is on a slight angle which makes it more comfortable to view and to type. Less strain on

your neck and shoulders.

The only draw back to a cooler is that, it will suck in more dust and thus the notebook's fans

will also suck up that dust. To avoid any damage that the notebook would incur from the excess

dust and resulting heat, I use a can of compressed air every six months to clean out the air exhaust. Only use

in SHORT BURSTS and from the intake to the exhaust. If you take care in cleaning once in a while and

"Defraging the hard drive" every two weeks , your notebook will serve you well for a long time, as long as

no malware or viruses incapacitates your notebook.

FLASHORN. !http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

#10 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:18 PM

Do you know if there is a way I can look to see what the temp of my laptop is and what the temp should be. If you dont know thats fine you been a lot of help.

Thanks for the help

Eric S

#11 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:13 PM

Hello I understand what you are saying but can you help me out some more. If I get this cooling pad should I be looking for anything before I buy it. Are3 cooling pads like universal to any laptop or does the air flow have to match the air flow of my laptop. If it does have to match can you tell me how I would find what way the air flow on my laptop is.

Thank you
Eric

#12 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:02 PM

To respond first to the question about temp. I do not know of a good temp program for laptops. Some others may post, or you could start another thread asking that question. It is more likely to get a good response with a heading that draws attention to the new question.

As to whether your laptop exhausts down or to the side/back, simply feel around when it is on. After the laptop warms up you should be able to feel the air flow. Now the air flow won't be constant, so you may have to try several time. Remember that are a couple vents on the bottom and several on the side/back depending on model.

The cooling pad is designed to get air moving out from the bottom of the laptop, so the vents don't have to line up, in fact I don't know if it is even possible except by accident. There are more varieties of laptop vent arrangements than cooling pad arrangements.

#13 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:01 AM

Hey Eric!!

This is the notebook cooling pad that I use :

!http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

it is the Notepal by Cooler Master. It's twin fan operation is very quite and connects

directly to the notebook via a USB cable. You can view more here:

Notepal by Cooler Master .

There are others, look at Zalman zm nc2000 .

From my experience , these two are the best but, there are others that will do what

needs to be done. These two also have options such as USBs on the cooler itself as well as

variable speed ajustments.

For your heat monitoring question, I would like to suggest you take a look at this application.

It is a free for home users. This application will monitor the heat output of your

notebook plus many other tweaks that you can perform by selecting the tabs that

are on top of this app. Find and read about it here:

Notebook Hardware Control . I have been using this one for about

one year now and have had nothing but praise for this utility.

The second utility I would like to suggest to you is HDTune. This one will monitor the

Hard Drives temperature along with the health of the HDD.Find and read about it here:

HDTune free . Use the free one as this is all the info. you will need.

Both of these utilities are free and support XP and Vista.

I hope this will answer your questions.

FLASHORN. !http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

#14 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

Hello I hope you do not mind helping me. I did get the cooling pad and you are right it takes air under the laptop and pulls out the side. But the thing is I do not think my laptop will do good with any cooling pad let me tell you why. On my laptop I do have two vents but no vent is directly under the laptop. The vent that has the air bowing out is one the side(the side with the start button on the screen) and the 2end vent with air going in is in the back conner if the same side. So I do not know having the fan bowing air directly up to my laptop is doing anything because of where my vents are. So My question is just want to you think. My laptop is a Compaq Presario.

#15 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:36 PM

While you did not give me the exact model of your Compaq Presario laptop, they generally share components and basic case design with HP Pavilion laptops. Both my 4 year old and my 1 year Pavilions take air on the bottom and exhaust out the side and rear vents. The air must travel through the laptop in order to cool the components. If it went in and right back out the same corner, it would do much to cool the other end.

My 4 year old zv5330 had two round input vents on the bottom, and my 1 year old dv9500 (similar design on the dv6xxx and dv9xxx models) has several rectangular to square grids where air is drawn in. One is in the hatch for the primary HD, a second is in the hatch for access to the memory modules and looking through a square one in the same corner with the outlet vents, you can actually see the fan. With the laptop sitting on my legs, I can certainly tell that it gets warm. I am not using my lap pad at the current time.

So, I think you could benefit, finding the one that fits your need is the challenge.

#16 User is offline   matchbox2022 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:06 PM

Ok, well google speedfan, it's a free program that blasts through your bios and io.sys file to find any temperature diodes your mobo may have (most newer laptops, even 6 years +old have them). If any temperature it finds is 40-75 degrees CELcius :P. (Give or take about 7 degrees for average error on components) Then do NOT worry about it. Laptops have much higher heat specifications these days, and can operate with more heat in a higher confined space then they used to (thanks to throttling, TM support and better heatsinks with better cpus which need less current to function.)
If anything is higher than that range, OR if your HARDDRIVE (which is big time influenced by heat) is constantly in the range of 55-60C (which will definately cause bad sectors and limit it's lifetime in time) Then you really should either 1) Blow some compressed air into the vents to get the dust out (and therefore lower your temps by sometimes 10 degrees. There will be dust in there trust me :).

or 2) if there isn't enough dust to cause an issue, maybe look into getting a notebook cooler

There exist some that you put in your freezer and take out to use with your lappy, and some with fans that connect to either AC or usb power (I strongly suggest USB if you're toteing this thing along, but AC if you're leaving it at home mostly cause AC typically has higher CFM able fans (a measurement of how much air they can move in a minute).

They run anywhere from 20-120 bucks, and they can be found pretty easily (just google notebook cooler, or go to best buy or futureshop.)

Hope that helps. Don't expect your temperatures to go down more than 10 degrees with a cooler though, all they do is blow air around the chasis and somewhat into the machine. I've usually seen typically 3-7 C drops using them. Also, remember that the ambient (outside) air plays a big roe, so if the notebook cooler isn't working quite well enough, turn your room temp down 3 degrees. It saves money, and it just made your 7C drop a 10C drop :). There should be new coolers coming out in the next 2 years which actually will cool the air down before pushing it into your lappy.

Also, Notebook hardware control and Hdtune work well, but Speedfan will give you all the reading for temps simultaneously, and leaves a smaller footprint, also you can "sometimes" control the fans using speedfan, to help cool down the system. Speedfan is NOT just for Dells, it works with many mobos. Also again if your hard-drive is in the 55-60 celcius range, that isn't good, anything lower is better when it comes to harddrives (to a limit of about 0C :P). To extend the lifetime of your system, you need not do much usually except just clean the dust out, and make sure that harddrive isn't gonna fail by keeping that temp low at least.

Stay Spicy and happy lappying!

#17 User is offline   AuroraDizon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

I just wanted to mention that instead of a cooling pad (though I may also get one later) I use a laptop stand like this:

Posted Image

Its small it helps my laptop breath easier, look better and stay cooler without having something else plugged in. Plus you can adjust it to view your screen better. I have a rubbermaid one that works well I got from Walmart this isn't that model but it is similar.

#18 User is offline   trinpim 

• PipPip

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:16 AM

recommend an good web site to you. www.wowparts.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users