PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Toshiba laptop won't connect to the internet. - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Toshiba laptop won't connect to the internet.

#1 User is offline   bkboggy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:16 PM

Hi,

I have Comcast Cable internet and I connect to it through my Dell XPS laptop. It connects just fine, but when my friend tries connecting to it, he can't find the internet connection.

I am not trying to use a router or anything (might do it later, when we solve this connection issue). I just simply unplugged the ethernet cable from my laptop and plugged it into his. For some reason his laptop just can't connect to the internet. I set all of his options just like on mine and it still won't work. He uses Toshiba Satellite A20. He uses Windows XP and so do I.

Can someone help us out?

-BK

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

bkboggy said:

Hi,

I have Comcast Cable internet and I connect to it through my Dell XPS laptop. It connects just fine, but when my friend tries connecting to it, he can't find the internet connection.

I am not trying to use a router or anything (might do it later, when we solve this connection issue). I just simply unplugged the ethernet cable from my laptop and plugged it into his. For some reason his laptop just can't connect to the internet. I set all of his options just like on mine and it still won't work. He uses Toshiba Satellite A20. He uses Windows XP and so do I.

Can someone help us out?

-BK

Do you just "swap" the cables? Or do you power down the modem and computers, swap the cables and start everything back up?

First rule of Internet trouble shooting...when in doubt, reset (i.e. power down for a few moments) everything.

#3 User is offline   bkboggy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:14 PM

Tried all that, still nothing.

#4 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:35 PM

I am assuming that you have the computer set to use a DHCP connection (i.e. dynamic IP address...aka "obtain IP address automatically"), correct?

Any firewall software installed on the computer?

Have you tried the computer with another connection some where and know it works or just networked it to another computer (i.e. confirmed that the ethernet port is working)?

#5 User is offline   bkboggy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

1. Yes, dynamic IP.

2. Firewall is off.

3. Haven't tried connecting it to anything else... not much available. I can try connecting it to my computer by connecting ethernet to ethernet, will that work?

#6 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

Not unless you have a crossover cable. All wired ethernet devices are designed to connect only to a switch, not to each other. It's like the old serial devices with two wires crossed over between the two ends. Ethernet cables do not have a "crossover" so you cannot connect two ethernet devices (ie: computers, printers, etc) with a standard ethernet cables. In order to do this you have to have a special version of cable called a crossover cable which crosses the send and receive wires.

#7 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

rgreen4 said:

Not unless you have a crossover cable. All wired ethernet devices are designed to connect only to a switch, not to each other.

This is not true. Modern Macs have an "auto-sensing" ability that allows the use of a standard ethernet cable when directly connecting two computers (support.apple.com/kb/HT2274). Even though I am not directly aware of any, I would suspect that there are Windoze PCs that will also have this ability. Thus, it is possible that a crossover cable might not be needed...but I agree that it is most likely needed and certainly would not hurt (Macs with "auto-sensing" will work with a regular or crossover cable, so using a crossover cable is the "sure bet").

#8 User is offline   bkboggy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:41 PM

Well, I'm not really going to get a crossover cable to test that. However, how do I fix that issue with the connection if nothing works?

#9 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:22 AM

bkboggy said:

Well, I'm not really going to get a crossover cable to test that. However, how do I fix that issue with the connection if nothing works?

Your question is unclear to me...do you mean what do you do if the network port does not work at all? If that is the question, then you have two possible options...1) get the network repaired...if still under warranty, that should be easy...if not, it might be expensive or 2) buy an external network adapter...either a USB adapter or a PC card adapter (either PCMCIA or ExpressCard depending on what you laptop supports).

If that is not your question, you will need to rephrase so that I can understand what you are asking.

#10 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:37 AM

It might be cost effective to have a computer repair technician check it out. Not a Big Box store as their "technicians" are not factory certified by anyone. Look in the yellow pages for Computers and find one is not too far away and has several brand logos listed. It won't have to be a Toshiba dealer, as what you are after is someone with the tools and meters to check it out.

Is he connecting to the internet at all at home?

#11 User is offline   bkboggy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

rgreen4, he just got back from Spain and is trying to see if he can use his laptop with my modem. He's my roommate in the barracks. He says he had some issues with his connection over there, but one of the guys somehow (the guy doesn't even know how) ended up fixing it by sheer luck. I have a cable modem and an ethernet cable, that's how I connect to my internet. My laptop works just fine with it, his doesn't. His settings (as far as I know) are the same as mine and device manager shows no errors of malfunctions. That's the issue.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users