• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PCWorld renewal

#1 User is offline   Klaatu 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:03 AM

Just received my renewal notice and for the first time since I began my subscription in 1995, I probably won't renew. Sent the following e-mail to editors in April, 2008 and they didn't bother to respond:

>I've subscribed to PC World since 1995 and within the last year or so, it's reminded me of my local newspaper in that the magazine has become a sliver >of its former self even though its news stand price has risen (to $7 an issue).
>Also similar to my newspaper, I now zip through the magazine in about half the time. One reason for this is that PC World now features far more articles >about tech items other than computers that I simply skip over. And I won't even start to chime in about the plethora of advertising.
>The point is that the magazine's value has plummeted and it's lost its focus.
>Are you guys trying to tell us subscribers that we now have to visit PC World's web site to find all of the content formerly available in the print edition? >And if this trend will continue, what incentive will there be to subscribe to the magazine?

Considering recent staff layoffs, seems like the magazine's not long for this earth. Too bad; it's been my computer bible and has helped me maintain systems beyond normal usefulness.

Anyone else feel similar?

#2 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

Hmmm... I know what you mean, Klaatu. Sadly, I've come to a similar conclusion as you, even though I've only been a subscriber for a little over a year, I've seen the mag become thinner, have less computer information, but more advertisement.

Seems like there is a lot of restructuring going on at this time. I wish they would bring back all the great Editors and people they just fired, maybe that will help re-capture the print market again.

#3 User is offline   mcbarker 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

I watched Stereo Review die the same way after changing their name to Sound & Vision magazine. They went from being a good audio magazine, with in depth technical system and component reviews, and informative articles about all things audio, to being a consumer gadget magazine, with shallow reviews about everything and anything electronic. The reader base complained loudly, saying that they felt that the magazine had become a shill for electronic gadget manufacturers, and that the advertising content had almost overtaken the magazine. The editors responded by saying that the change was made in order to appeal to a wider audience. Readers responded by canceling their subscriptions in droves. The magazine quietly faded into oblivion. I think it's still available, but I haven't seen it in any bookstores or newsstands for years. I get the feeling that PC World is headed down the same road, and the only difference between the two magazines at this point is that this magazine still hasn't changed its name... yet (although they did do a poll asking readers if they should change the name). To be honest, I also am not very happy about the direction changes that PCW seems to be taking. I'm guessing that the name will change within the next two years and the magazine will embrace the dark side of the force, and shortly thereafter, it will go the way of Stereo Review (or Sound & Vision), flying off into the world of "Who gives a damn?". I suppose a suitable name for the new magazine would be something like "Technical Mediocrity World".

#4 User is offline   Klaatu 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:28 PM

Ziff Davis to Shutter PC Magazine Print Edition to Focus Online

Can PCWorld print edition demise be far behind?

#5 User is offline   number6 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:35 PM

I bought a one year subscription but I don't think I'll renew it either. Too many gadgets and advertisments, not enough PC stuff.

#6 User is offline   maccagb2000 

• Pip

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

Hi Klaatu,
Here is a letter I just wrote to the editor before I came across your post:

Sir,

+I am, was, a subscriber to your magazine and enjoyed it most
months. I found it informative and a resource.+

+However, I must complain about this month’s issue: Jan
2009.+

+I am used to skirting through the 8 pages of the Acer ‘supplement’,
realizing it is a major source of revenue for you that the cover price of the
magazine alone does not cover, and sometimes multiple pages of 1and1 adverts,
but, my friends and I cannot understand the relevance of the 15 page HDTV
‘Superguide’ in a Computer interest magazine?+

+I know that some technologies co-exist and even augment, but
the hook-up ( excuse the pun) is too tenuous in this case.+

+I am sure a lot of readers will be complaining or at least
commenting on this excessive coverage on non-PC related material.+

+I understand you have “quiet” months, and have difficulty
filling pages, but could try to keep to articles relating to our interest.+

+An example, in this same issue, you briefly touched on the
Mac anniversary, yet this could have been expanded, (instead of doing so
on-line) in the magazine. It would have been preferable to have expanded the
HDTV guide online instead? Maybe something showing the timeline of the Mac
alongside the PC, I am sure this would have been much more interesting to your
readers.+

+I feel cheated and had second thoughts on renewing my subs,
even with the generous offer of 2 sets of magazines for $25 in this months mag.+

Disappointedly yours,

I see I am not alone in my thinking. Great minds....?
Message was edited by: AuroraDizon fixed coding from copying and pasting from wordpad

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users