• You cannot reply to this topic

What is "Hibernation File Cleaner"?

#1 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:38 PM

Hello everyone. :)

I was going to do a Disk Cleanup before doing my weekly Defragging.

I noticed something called Hibernation File Cleaner with 957MB. When I clicked on it, I noticed that the Disk Cleaner said it would clear over 1GB. I ended up unchecking it because I didn't know what it is, nor what it does.

Here's a Snip I took of the Disk Cleanup window:

!http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

So, would you please enlighten me as to what the Hibernation File Cleaner is? And, what does it do? Is this something I need to leave alone and not have Disk Cleaner get rid of?

Thank you for all your assistance. :)

#2 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

Hey sweetie!!

If you clean out the Hibernation File, you might loose the ability to Hibernate your notebook.

I have never used the Hibernate feature but, use the Sleep mode instead. I too have this file on my notebook

If ever I needed more space on my HDD I would simply Cleanup this option as mine is already at 2.99 GB.

There are conflicting reports on deleting this file. Some say that it comes back when you use the Hibernate

Feature but, MS says otherwise. Here is a page from MS on this:

The Hybrid Sleep and Hibernate Feature in Vista .

Now I'll show you what Disk Cleanup says on mine:

!http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

If you click on the Hibernate File you get the description in the window at the bottom

of the utility. Also , if you click on the "How does Disk Cleanup Work" you will get some

advice on what to delete. The page that I will link for you says that you can delete

the Hibernate File but, I would be more entitled to believe MS.

Cleaning up Disk Drive in Vista .

If you need any more info. just

post back and we will try and answer your concerns.

FLASHORN. !http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:16 PM

Great googa mooga Adama, don't you ever clean that thing? :D That is a lot of junk on there. I don't know about hibernation files ( don't have then on the Desk top ). Must be a Vista thing as I have XP MCE. Anyway, I always thought that anything that came up with the disk clean up utility could safely be removed as they were primarily junk files. After having checked, if you check the Hibernation files box and run the disk Cleaner you will lose your hibernation function, and then myself or somebody else would have to tell you how to restore it. :D So just leave it unchecked and run your cleaner. coastie

#4 User is online   alchav21 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:16 PM

I haven't seen this box in Disk Clean Up before, but I looked it up and it talked about Partitions smaller than 4Gb's. So how big is your C: Partition and how much free space do you have? I think it has to do with putting your computer on Hibernation, it needs so much disk space.

#5 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

Hi Flashorn,

Thanks for the great info, as always. :D I checked out the link and read the MS article. Then I checked the O'Reilly one and printed it.

It looks like it's probably ok to delete my Hibernation File Cleaner, because I don't ever use the Hibernation feature. I just use the Sleep mode all the time.

You know, I've often wondered why all those things were listed in there if you were not supposed to delete them, or if it would be dangerous for your computer to delete them.

So, if according to O'Reilly the files are recreated the next time your computer goes into sleep mode, I think it would be ok.

Thanks again, m'dear. :)

#6 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

Googa mooga??? OMG, never hear of that one! :0

Yeah, I do use the Disk Cleaner about once a month, usually before I Defrag my computer.

Do you know that if I have Disk Cleaner clean the Hibernation Files, I gain about 1GB of space? That boggles the mind, that a computer can use that many Gigs just to be able to put it to sleep when you need to. Si?

Geez...

#7 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:35 AM

Yeah, you can gain some space on your HD, but I didn't know if you used Hibernation or not. Sure wouldn't want you to lose somrthing that you use. Coastie

#8 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:09 PM

Hi Coastie,

Yeah, IKWYM... I was going to go ahead and delete the Hibernation File Cleaner next time I ran a DiskCleanup, but I read the article that PCW posted, (by Lincoln) and clicked on some link from Petri website, which convinced not to do it. Even though, I still think that it would be ok, since I only use the Sleep option and not Hibernation option.

But, better to be safe than sorry, si?

#9 User is offline   piyushsingh 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:35 AM

Adama said:

Yeah, IKWYM... I was going to go ahead and delete the Hibernation File Cleaner next time I ran a DiskCleanup, but I read the article that PCW posted, (by Lincoln) and clicked on some link from Petri website, which convinced not to do it.

Time to again read one of docs created by you only - {document:id=1470} . Even if you delete it , no need to worry. :)

#10 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:34 PM

Hi Piyush... I missed you!
OMG, I totally forgot about this Document! Leave it to you to find it and remind me about it, huh?

I just read it again, and I think I'm just gonna let the Hibernation File Cleaner be. Why invite trouble, right?

Take care! :D

#11 User is offline   baseballboy64116 

• PipPip

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:43 PM

I tried on my cpu and I cleaned it and when u go back to hibernate it recreates the file. So it is ok!

#12 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:33 PM

Hi 3Bs,

Wow, that's great. I'm glad it worked for you. :)

#13 User is online   SpyX 

• Pip

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:51 AM

Hibernation File is a large hidden file located in the root of your boot drive used for keeping all PC's memory including CPU's memory and registers upon hibernation. Windows always keeps this file on your disk and does not delete it upon system wakeup or shut down, therefore, anyone can extract a lot of information from it. Moreover, this file contains almost all files and data you used during the last working session terminated by the Hibernate command. It is strongly recommended that you clean it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users