PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: What is the 'Best' Virus Protection for use with Vista? - PCWorld Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is the 'Best' Virus Protection for use with Vista?

#1 User is offline   Jazzy2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

What's the best Virus protector?
How do you feel about Norton's Internet Security?
`Or what does everybody think is best?
jazzy

#2 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

Jazzy - since your question is better served as a question on it's own with a proper heading in the Privacy and Security area. In that vein, I have moved it.

You will probably get many recommendations, but Norton's won't get too many votes.

#3 User is offline   lilxkid24 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

Norton NO NO even 2009 is a major improvement for norton it still sucks though.
For free Antivirus i recommend Avast or Avira
Paid I recommend Kaskersky 2009 or Nod32

#4 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

Posted Image Hi :

Norton is One of the Worse ; you can read about the FREE Avast Antivirus Home Edition

at www.avast.com/eng/avast[u4[/u]home.html] . IF you are willing to PAY for

antivirus protection, then your Choice should be NOD32 from Eset Software, specifically

at [http://www.eset.com/...ucts/nod32.php] .

#5 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:23 PM

Hi Jazzy,

I used to think that Trend MicroAV used to be the best, but lately I've been finding out that it takes a lot of resources. It also takes a long time to load up on startup.

My next protection program is going to be Avast! because I've been seriously thinking about ditching TrendMicro.

I would not recommend Norton nor any of its different programs. And, Norton doesn't have too many fans around PCWorld.

#6 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:17 PM

Hey Jazzy!!

Welcome to PCWorld Community!

I am running Vista Home Premium. My security programs consists of:

AntiVirus : Avira Antivir Personal-Free Antivirus . Download the 23.92 MB .exe

Antispyware ; SUPERAntiSpyware Professional . For Real Time protection.

Firewall : PCTools Firewall Plus Free .

On Demand Maleware Scanner : MalwareBytes AntiMalware Free .

These would be all of the essential security tools that one would need to be well protected. Naturall, nothing

is fool proof. If you keep good Surfing habits then you have half of the battle won.

To minimize the risk of infection you would do well to use the Firefox Browser along with the

Web Of Trust Add-On for Firefox .

With these tools at hand , you should do well in your quest for knowledge via the web.

FLASHORN. !http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

#7 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

Avg and comodo firewall are working great on a second vista laptop

But if you can find a free copy, Mcafee security center provides wonderful protection against everything

But even mcafee + vista can't compare to linux and it's security.

Linux is immune to windows viruses.

#8 User is offline   Jazzy2 

• PipPip

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

Hi there rgreen4;

I wondered what happened to my question, I only had two days left when I asked "what the best VP program to use with Vista." I was constantly getting a nag screen telling me that I would be without protection if I let my Norton trial expire In the meantime, I went and purchased Norton 360 thinking I wasn't going to hear from anyone. I do appreciate all the replies that I've gotten. Is it necessary now to install some other programs (free ones) lol

Thanks,

2jazzy

#9 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:45 PM

Posted Image Hi "Jazzy" :

Would be wise to "bite the bullet" and eventually uninstall your Norton "Suite", which

should involve the use of the "Norton Removal Tool" . Tests from INDEPENDENT

Sources show Norton near the bottom when it comes to keeping malware OFF a

computer . On the Approach of "Layered" vs "Suite", would be wise to read what I wrote

at forums.pcworld.com/docs/DOC-1141|d-1141 .

#10 User is offline   Foxylady48180 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

I have never had a problem with Norton, it works fine for me. Most people here will disagree, but that has been my experience. If you do some research, you will find that it is rated very high.

#11 User is offline   LadyDylan 

• PipPip

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:01 PM

Hello, Jazzy2,

If you feel Win Vista as bit sluggish or very sluggish as to causse nausia or headache or stomache or ulcer,,

or fear of tumling down to forecloser or almost bankrupy with no medi care of social security,

How about using TrendMicro's 'Virus Buster 2009'?

I am sure you can get that at benders or purchase by online of course (official site recommended I guess.)

Hope you'd be safe from any security bleach.

#12 User is offline   Slik 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

I'm using Norton 360 Anti-Virus (AV) on 3 fairly new Toshiba laptops, 2 with Vista Home Edition and 1 with XP SP2/3. I've been using Symantec/Norton in various versions for the past 15 years, from back when 56k dial-up was the norm. The selection of one's AV program is highly personal, somewhat like one's religion or politics. On this forum community, you will encounter those that loathe Norton, others who praise McAfee, others who like freebies such as Avast, etc. Since you own Norton 360, why not use it for the current subscription period and re-evaluate when renewal time comes up. Actually, a multi-tiered approach to on-line security works well. I suggest the free SpyBot S&D for spyware protection. Keep Windows' built-in "Defender" updated for its protection. Use IE 8 (Internet Explorer Ver. 8) in the InPrivate (IP) web-browsing and IP filtering mode to block your web-history tracking and cookies placement. IP browsing and filtering only work with IE 8 under Vista 64-bit. IP's downside is the need to re-enter your ID and password for nearly every web-site you visit, but Norton 360's "Identity Safe" can be used to automatically enter this info. IP browsing/filtering blocks Google's data-mining, in which they track your web-browsing history for ad-profiling and to sell to other 3rd parties for the same purpose. As an aside, a Norton Technical Expert replied to one of my post's on this forum, giving his expert opinion on the above suggested multi-tiered security approach. No other software company except the German-based games company, GoG.com, has ever personally replied to one of my query's. I thought this was a nice personal touch and sent Symantec a PM message expressing my appreciation for such unusual helfulness.

#13 User is offline   myloginname 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

View PostJazzy2, on 04 October 2008 - 09:08 PM, said:

Hi there rgreen4;

I wondered what happened to my question, I only had two days left when I asked "what the best VP program to use with Vista." I was constantly getting a nag screen telling me that I would be without protection if I let my Norton trial expire In the meantime, I went and purchased Norton 360 thinking I wasn't going to hear from anyone. I do appreciate all the replies that I've gotten. Is it necessary now to install some other programs (free ones) lol

Thanks,

2jazzy

Well, now that you do have Norton 360, while it may not be great, it will still do the best it can to keep viruses away. I suggest you keep Norton, cuz you paid for it, and it would be a waste of money. So now that you have Norton, you WILL NOT need any other Anti-virus suites like Avira anti-virus, or Avast! Because if you mix two anti-virus suites together, they will actually clash and mal-funcion. I would recommend you get some other free programs, though.

Malwarebytes Anti-malware is one of the most recommended programs on PCW and over the web, and DO GET it. It is great at keeping malware away, probably better than most anti-virus suites.

Then, get SUPERantispyware free edition, that is good at finding spyware, adware, registry fixes, and much more. However, the registry fixes found by this program can be dangerous, I once had my computer crash because I deleted some important files. So for registry cleaning, I recommend

CCleaner, which does a pretty good job and I've never had it find any important Windows files.

For firewalls, comodo firewall works great.

This is really all you'll need, It should keep your computer safe and sound
http://i774.photobuc...lienSigcopy.png
Credits: NASA, APOD. Texture and artwork by Adama, 2009.

Spoiler

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity, to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment,
would you capture it?? Or just let it slip?"

#14 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

Well, as others have said, now that you have it you might as well use it. I ditched Norton a long time ago and then Ditched AVG when they came out with 8.0. I am presently using Avast! & Webroot Spysweeper. I have malwarebytes & SUPERantispyware installed as on demand items. When I bought my mother a laptop a few months back, after making recovery and backup discs, the first thing I did was to unistall the Norton 360 that was in there and set up her protection the same as I have mine (the Lappy is running Vista Home Premium). The new forum is somewhat different than the old forum, so it may take a little longer before someone navigates to your question. coastie
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#15 User is offline   SnyperTodd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:29 PM

When your Norton expires, since you're obviously willing to pay for antivirus software, I'll give another recommendation for Eset Nod32 Antivirus. I've been slowly switching all of my computers to it as my Avast! Pro subscriptions expire. Definitely well worth it! Less false positives and even lighter on system resources. Avast runs at least 4 processes, depending on what "modules" you install, while Nod32 runs 2, and their overall footprint is smaller.
"Obstacles are things you see when you take your eyes off the goal." -Alan Kulwicki, 1954-1993

#16 User is offline   myloginname 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:33 PM

View PostSnyperTodd, on 16 September 2009 - 04:29 PM, said:

When your Norton expires, since you're obviously willing to pay for antivirus software, I'll give another recommendation for Eset Nod32 Antivirus. I've been slowly switching all of my computers to it as my Avast! Pro subscriptions expire. Definitely well worth it! Less false positives and even lighter on system resources. Avast runs at least 4 processes, depending on what "modules" you install, while Nod32 runs 2, and their overall footprint is smaller.

Yes, Nod32 is a great anti-virus. It has good detection overall, and very light on system resources. However, if, for some reason what-so-ever, you don't want to pay, then use either Avast! or Avira, they are both great, and most people pick one or the other by personal preferences. But getting your next anti-virus suite won't be until a year away, and that's lots of time for anti-virus suites to change, and maybe something better than nod32, or avast!, or avira will come out. You'll have to wait and see :D
http://i774.photobuc...lienSigcopy.png
Credits: NASA, APOD. Texture and artwork by Adama, 2009.

Spoiler

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity, to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment,
would you capture it?? Or just let it slip?"

#17 User is offline   Downdip 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

View Postlilxkid24, on 30 September 2008 - 05:48 PM, said:

Norton NO NO even 2009 is a major improvement for norton it still sucks though.
For free Antivirus i recommend Avast or Avira
Paid I recommend Kaskersky 2009 or Nod32

Well said!!!

#18 User is offline   Downdip 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

View PostSpiritWind, on 04 October 2008 - 10:45 PM, said:

Posted Image Hi "Jazzy" :

Would be wise to "bite the bullet" and eventually uninstall your Norton "Suite", which

should involve the use of the "Norton Removal Tool" . Tests from INDEPENDENT

Sources show Norton near the bottom when it comes to keeping malware OFF a

computer . On the Approach of "Layered" vs "Suite", would be wise to read what I wrote

at forums.pcworld.com/docs/DOC-1141|d-1141 .

You're a good man Spiritwind...I enjoy seeing your comments! Avast owes you for your devotion and passion to their products! You convinced me!

#19 User is offline   Downdip 

• Pip

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:57 AM

View PostJazzy2, on 30 September 2008 - 05:22 PM, said:

What's the best Virus protector?
How do you feel about Norton's Internet Security?
`Or what does everybody think is best?
jazzy

You have opened a can of worms! ha Anyone critical on Norton (recent) hasn't used it...I'm no fan of theirs but I have tried NIS 2011, KIS 2011, BitDefender, Avast Internet Security, MSE 2....they are all fine to be honest, I recommend reading the tests reviews...some are biased but you will get a good idea if you read enough. I am using Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, but I bounce between that and Norton Internet Security 2011. Norton is a little smoother and lighter feeling but I don't put them through a rigid test...I read the forums, news, sports and general stuff. No doubt, when you ask what AV someone likes, you might as well ask them what religion they prefer. Check them out, try some free trials and see what you think...find something that fits your needs. Some prefer free and if you decide to buy, look on line and get a reduced price (they are there) and just update. Good luck and enjoy!

#20 User is offline   numarw 

• Pip

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

hello i think one of the best Antiviruses out there is AVG...it's been working for me for several years...even the free version is just great...here u can download the latest AVG internet Security...cheers.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/homepage

This post has been edited by SnyperTodd: 06 January 2011 - 01:18 PM
Reason for edit: changed link to legitimate download site

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users