PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: why does HP PC shuts down internally but power light stays on - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

why does HP PC shuts down internally but power light stays on

#1 User is offline   jgv007 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:50 PM

My neighbor has an HP pavilion m7300e, purchased in 2005 from HP. Normally my neighbor leaves the PC on when not in use. It seems during system idle( could be more than 12 hours), can't be sure exactly when the PC gets into this state. The monitor shows(monitor power settings have been checked also), no input signal, moving the mouse or using keyboard will not change anything. I do know that the fans inside the tower stop running and yet the blue light on the power button stays lit. Holding in the power button will NOT shut it off. I had to physically remove the power cord at the back of the tower for about 1 minute before the blue power light would shut off. I have contacted HP tech support numerous times with this same problem that we have been dealing with for several months now. They took me through the power management settings, uninstalled power management & reinstalled it. Removed the screen saver program entirely and still every few weeks the PC will stop working as it did before. Once the PC reboots, the PC works just fine until it stops working again.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

#2 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:14 PM

you might be on the edge of power sub-system failure, or its a very quirky bug.

have you disabled the standby and hibernate (set to never) in power options?

#3 User is offline   jgv007 

• PipPip

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

Yes the power management has been set to 'Never" It's so strange that my neighbor is having this problem. I also have an HP pavilion a810n, and I've never experienced this problem and my PC is older than my neighbors

#4 User is offline   Passiveson 

• PipPip

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:26 AM

There are two likely causes.

You say the computer is left operating when not in use;

First possibility is that the temperature control settings in CMOS configuration are terminating the cpu, co-processors and system BIOS funtions. Being a semi new computer (3 yrs old) The system's CMOS configuration may provide options that monitor the cpu's core temperature and will automatically terminate the cpu's operations when the temp reaches 58^o^ C.

In this state, the computer is not shut down (off), so the power light will remain on while the cpu core cools down. Typically the internal fans would remain on to aide in the cooling process, however, if the cooling fans are operated by direct connection to the power supply, and the power is terminated to the specific systems requiring cool down, it's possible the fans are also disabled. Pulling the plug is the only way to interupt this state.

CMOS temp control settings can be adjusted to prevent this from occurring, however cpu life expectancy will be severly effected. Try to put it in a cool place away from heat ducts and exhaust vents.

The second possibility is that the integrity of the power supply itself is failing to provide regulated supply to specifacations. Where as some components of the power supply are maintaining operation while other (higher wattage) output circuits fail. Being an intermitent effect makes it difficult to isolate, so if you have access to a compatible power supply you can substitute it with (without the expense of purchasing a replacement), you can test the effect over time to see if the problem is rectified. If after a couple weeks the problem doesn't recur then replace it with a new one.

In any event, I can advise you that every second your computer is operating idle, you rob it of it's lifetime expectency, ALWAYS shut down your system when your're not using it. Save yourself both aggrevation and costly repair or replacement by simply turning it off.

Good luck and keep me posted of any new developments.

#5 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

Hi, To be honest, I have never encountered this situation before. My initial thoughts were something to do with Hibernation/standby. The points you have made to substatiate your theory are very good. Hopefully this will answer his question. coastie65

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users