Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hard drive for a HP Pavilion a305w

#1 User is offline   tommy0412 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hi, I have a HPPavilion a305W that was given to me, but it has no Hard Drive. Can anyone tell me what type of HD I can use with this computer. It's gonna be used for one of my kid's so maybe a 80G hard drive would be ok. Thanks

#2 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

Hi Tommy. Okay, this computer is pretty old (about six years). Here is the computer specifications for this computer. (Click on the hyperlink to go directly to HP's website.) For this computer, you need a hard drive with an Ultra DMA or ATA interface. (More commonly known as IDE Ultra ATA100.)

Now, with a computer this old, you are going to run into some problems finding compatible components. For example, newegg.com (the site that this Community swears by) does not carry the type of hard drive you need. I personally do not provide hardware component recommendations. So please use these three links as a guide to point you in the right direction:

Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80GB DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra)

Maxtor 80GB EIDE Ultra-DMA/100 DiamondMax 80 5400 RPM

Hitachi 80GB Ultra DMA-100

Additionally, with this old of a computer, you may run into problems if you try to install a hard drive larger than 160GBs. Years back, there was an issue where the BIOS of the computer would recognize the full hard drive size but Windows would not. That has long since been resolved but this may be a problem for you in the future.

Finally, the memory capacity of this computer is very low, 512MBs. If you child is going to do any type of resource intensive gaming or processing, this computer may not be the best choice.

#3 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:08 PM

Hi Tommy. After doing a much more thorough search on newegg.com (thanks little birdy) :D there are eight hard drives that are available from newegg.com. Three of them fit the size criteria your mentioned. Please click the following link to go directly to the list:

IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drives

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users