PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Cannot Access the Internet Using Any Internet Browser - PCWorld Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cannot Access the Internet Using Any Internet Browser

#1 User is offline   bostonj24 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

I am also having the same problem but i am not getting blue screens i have Ubuntu that is how i am getting online i have other computers running 2000 up to vista and they all can acess the internet. i have run all of my spyware and they are not finding any problems. I have Google Chrome, IE, and Firefox none of witch can acess the internet. I also was able to set the settings to defalut and still no connection.

#2 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

Hi bostonj and welcome to the PCWorld Communities. :D

Since the Discussion you previously posted this message within has been idle for almost three months, I have branched your issue into its own Discussion. Even though your situation may appear to be similar, it is always best to open your own Discussion and allow as many of our members an opportunity to review your problem. Latching onto an idle Discussion could potentially leave your concern on the back burner.

#3 User is offline   bostonj24 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

thankyou

#4 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

It might help if you were a little clearer about which computer has which OS and which computer has the trouble accessing the Internet. It appears you can access the Internet with a computer with Ubuntu. Is this computer that has the trouble, but with some version of Windoze? If so, which version of Windoze? How is this computer connected to the Internet? Wired connection to router? Wireless connection to the router? (assuming you are using a router)

It further appears you have other computers with Windoze 2000 to Vista...all of which can access the Internet, correct? How are they connected to the Internet?

#5 User is offline   bostonj24 

• PipPip

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

The computer that i have Ubuntu on is the same computer that i can not acess the internet on with windows vista home edition. I am connected with a 2Wire wireless Router i have full connection bars but for some reason i can not acesss the internet on any of my web browsers. when i click on the connection map it says that it can not varify the connection. their are six computers in my house that all are connecting to the internet fine (all of these computers are connected on wireless). i am using a laptop i am not sure if that would be a factor.

#6 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

I assume you are using DHCP (i.e. dynamic IP addresses from the router). Do you have a limit set on the number of DHCP clients? Does the problem happen when this computer is the only one turned on?

What security are you using? Encryption (i.e. WEP, WPA/WPA2, etc)? If you are using security, have you tried turning off the security and seeing if it works?

For the computer, is it "integrated" wireless or an "external" adapter? If the later, what brand & model number? Are you using manufacturer specific drivers/software for it? Or just using the built in Windoze wireless software?

Sorry for all the questions...nothing so far is jumping out to let me down a particular path, so that means more questions for the moment.

#7 User is offline   bostonj24 

• PipPip

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:24 AM

No, far as i know there is no limit to the number of DHCP clients. Yes, it still does not work even if i am the onlyone online. I am using a WEP encryption i do not know how to turn off the encryption so i therfore have never tried that. I have an internal wireless card.

I do not mind the questions if it means fixing the problem

#8 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

I forget if I have asked before, so forgive me if I have...

Did this computer ever work with Windoze with your wireless setup? Or have you always had the problem?

At this point, my suggestion would be to temporarily turn off the encryption. While in theory all 802.11g equipment or all 802.11n equipment is supposed to be compatible, but sometimes different chipsets and/or drivers can cause some conflicts. Sometimes it is a temporary or limited conflict. Other times it is an outright full incompatibility. This is where turning off the WEP might help. If turning off the WEP allows you to connect, then either the WEP implementations of the router and wireless card don't quite mesh OR they are just temporarily clashing and establishing a connection WITHOUT the WEP allows that "clash" to be resolved. In other words, I have had some cases where computer will not connect with WEP turned on, but I then turn it off it connects...and stays connected when I turn WEP back on.

#9 User is offline   bostonj24 

• PipPip

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

My connection has worked in the past it only recently has stopped working. I am not sure how to turn off the WEP do i do it on my computer or do i call the company to turn it off? I was also wondering if turning off the WEP would effect the other computers on the connection?

#10 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:59 AM

bostonj24 said:

My connection has worked in the past it only recently has stopped working. I am not sure how to turn off the WEP do i do it on my computer or do i call the company to turn it off? I was also wondering if turning off the WEP would effect the other computers on the connection?

You would need to enter into the router's setup function. You should be able to do this yourself...as long as you have the instructions for doing it. If the router comes from your ISP, then they might have a method where they can do it. Without knowing the exact model of your router (you had stated the brand, if I recall correctly), I certainly cannot help...with a model number, it might be possible to find a manual.

As to whether it would affect other computers...yes and no. Yes, if they are set to remember the WEP automatically...not having WEP turned on might "confuse" them. No, if they have the ability to "adjust" on the fly. In the end, I don't know for sure. Regardless, I am not proposing that you leave it off...just turn it off temporarily to see if you can connect with this one computer without it and then turn it back on whether it connects (and see if it maintains the connection) or not. As long as you don't change the WEP passcode when you turn it off, it should retain that same passcode when you turn it back on.

#11 User is offline   bostonj24 

• PipPip

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

It did not work for my computer. :( do you have any other suggestions?

#12 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

Does the computer get a valid IP address? Or is getting something in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range?

#13 User is offline   bbvammy 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:41 PM

You can get online with Ubuntu?

hint It's time to ditch Windows.

Run Windows under Virtualbox and you will be alright

#14 User is offline   bostonj24 

• PipPip

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

yes, i can get online with ubuntu. What is virural box? is it a download for unbuntu

P.S- i have programs running in vista that i need and i am not sure how to transfer all of the data i have in vista to ubuntu if i did know how i would stop using vista

#15 User is offline   bostonj24 

• PipPip

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

it is getting something in the 169 range

#16 User is offline   bbvammy 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

@bostonj24

What Vista programs that you must have?

Maybe Ubuntu have similar programs too.

About Virtualbox? Yes.

#17 User is offline   bostonj24 

• PipPip

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

well i have my entire music collection on vista and i do not know hw to transfer the data over to ubuntu so examples of the programs

- Google Sketch-up

- Zune 3.0

- Limewire

- Google Earth

#18 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

bostonj24 said:

it is getting something in the 169 range

That tells us that something is preventing the computer from getting a valid IP address. The 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range IP is kind a "run home to mama" signal from the computer.

Any changes recently? New drivers? Windoze updates? New programs, especially security or anti-malware programs?

If forget...have you gone into Device Manager and looked at the listing for the network adapter? Does it have some sort of warning indicator (i.e. a yellow question mark if I recall correctly)?

#19 User is offline   bostonj24 

• PipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

I did have a windows update but the internet still worked after it finished. I did recently download an anti-spyware program that could have been the cause because the internet stopped working aftorwards. But, i then got deleted it because i thought mabye that could changed a setting or something and the internet still would not work after i deleted the anti-spyware. Also in device manager under network adapter there was a yellow triangle with an exlamation point in it followed with the words "Microsoft ISATap Adapter #2"

#20 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:00 AM

:D Hi :

Knowing the SPECIFIC "Name" of that "antispyware" program MAY provide valuable "clues"

as to WHAT may have happened to your computer !? There are many "Rogue" programs

available over the internet nowadays that need "special" handling to both completely

"remove" and "reverse" any damage they may have caused; losing internet connection can

be part of the "damage" .

NOTE : Having a P2P program like Limewire QUADRUPLES the chances of getting malware;

did you download that "antispyware" program using Limewire ?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users