Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fed Up With Envelope Jams!! Need Suggestions

#1 User is offline   Ragnar35 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:19 AM

We have two HP all in one printers, and frequently have problems when trying to print envelopes - either #10 or 6" x 9" envelopes. Sometimes the printer works fine, and other times it doesn't. We waste an incredible amount of time trying to print a silly envelope, and wanted to get suggestions on how to best solve our problem.

Both all in one printers are HP - the $150.00 models. Is the problem that we need a more heavy duty printer? Would we find better service from a more expensive model? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

#2 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

Ragnar35 - Welcome to the PC World Forums. Would you please give the model numbers of the printers and how you are printing from them (ie: manual feed or in the normal sheet feeder after taking plain paper out). The model numbers will be found on the big lable on the bottom of the printer.

#3 User is offline   Ragnar35 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

HP 6310 All In One - using the normal sheet feeder after taking the plain paper out.

#4 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:32 PM

Ragnar: Envelope printing will create the biggest downfall of any printer, regardless of the make and model. So many variables are involved, multiple thicknesses being the major problem to be dealt with. Most units will perform well when new, but as the pickup rollers age and become coated with paper coatings, jams and diagonal feeding become the major problems. Cleaning the rollers and pickup assemblies will yield better performance but for only a short period. Laser printers are even worse due to the heat used to fuze the toner to the page also melting and glueing the flaps closed. A heavy duty unit will work only slightly better and eventually succumb to the same problems.

#5 User is offline   Ragnar35 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:06 PM

Wow - I am surprised that there isn't really a decent printer that reliably prints envelopes! One of the two printers we have isn't really that old, and hasn't seen a lot of printing. It almost seems as if these printers are not built with quality parts so they last. If anyone else has suggestions, I appreciate any help you can provide.

#6 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:26 PM

Selection is most important. Being able to look at a printer and know if it will handle envelopes without hassle is an art. You first need to select one that has a straight paper feed path, no turn arounds or flip overs. A large number of paper rollers is also a must, most only have two to pick up a single sheet and with normal envelopes, only one will make contact and twist the envelope, this neccesitates a centered up feed for the envelope. Some units allow for a width-wise feed and this helps versus the length-wise feed path. Another thing to look for is the gap between the printing device, either a dot matrix printhead or ink jet cartridge as this can become a major paper jam area in the gap. Most dot matrix printers handle envelopes well and can be fed width-wise without problems. Many users I service have a dot matrix just for this purpose. Laser printers are a real problem as the heat tends to seal the envelopes and make them them unusable.

#7 User is offline   Ragnar35 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:49 PM

Which printers fit the description you have given?

#8 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

I would much rather work on your situation. I currently have 4 HP printers and all 4 will print envelopes normally. They are a LaserJet P2015dn, a Color LaserJet 2605dn, a Photosmart C6180 AIO and a Photosmart 8210. I have printed envelopes on all four, although I normally use one of the LaserJets.

Usually problems in printing envelopes are either a problem in the feed path such as them printing crooked or crinkling which causes jams. One of the common situations is putting too many envelopes in the tray. This was a mistake I made early on on trying to run a number of envelopes in one pass on my Color Laser. I basically filled the tray with envelopes in a manner similar to plain paper. I was greeted with constant jams. Reading the manual revealed that the limit is 10 envelopes at a time. With only 10 in the tray, all 10 went through just fine. I have only printed a couple at a time in the inkjet, but it also lists 10 max in the tray.

Checking the manual for the 6310, it says the max for the tray is 15, but for plain paper it lists 100. Based on that, I would recommend only 10 envelopes at a time. Try that and see if it helps.

Now I am assuming you are trying the normal #10 envelope that is not excessively heavy. Heavy stock envelopes will not go through an inkjet printer because of the sharp turn.

#9 User is offline   bontiveroz79 

• PipPip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:59 AM

Depending on the type of paper envelope that you have there should be a setting on the printer for different paper types ..... but don't be just stuck on just that I have come from expierenced that most of the time these HP printers are made to fail in these situation... what you will want to do is that the rubber rollers that the paper feeds from sometimes have alot of wear and tear and sometimes that get dirty with all the paper dust that collects on them... get some rubbing alcohol and a shop towel and clean the rollers if you can get to them regular cleaning will help the paper passage and improve cost of paper that you have to buy....alot of people think that just because you have a few paper jams its time for a new printer.... but regular maintence will difinately keep you printer from spending another $150 dollars or so on a new printer....

Best of luck ...

#10 User is offline   cputman 

• PipPip

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:34 AM

When printing one envelope on a Canon inkjet, I make sure the envelope is up against the paper guide on one side and then

slide the moveable paper guide close up to the other side of the envelope to make sure both sides are held firmly in place. This

helped with the problem of the envelope feeding crooked. Eventually, however, I found that if I had more than one envelope to print,

it was easier to print a labels for the address than it was to print the envelope.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users